Thread: use WLAN as WAN connection ?

use WLAN as WAN connection ?

Hi

Is there any way where I can use the WiFi interface as a WAN connection and routing traffic to the LAN interface on the router?

Specifically I want to use a WL-HDD as a small router, connecting to the internet with WiFi.

Setup :

Internet <----> Wireless Router <----> WL-HDD ---> Client(s) Using Wired Connection.

I dont want WDS mode, as I want the Client(s) totally separated on a different subnet than the one on the "indeside" of the Wireless Router.

This would mean I need the WL-HDD to operate in Client Mode on the Wireless side, and routing all traffic to the LAN interface.

How are settings like this possible in Olegs firmware?

I tried setting the wan_ifname, wan_ifnames, lan_ifname and lan_ifnames variables "correctly" - but I cant seem to get the wireless interface connecting to my Wireless Router.
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

This possible in the same way, as with all wl500g family: switch it to home gateway mode and select Ethernet Bridge on the Wireless | Advanced page.

This wont work perfectly I think.

This will still make eth1 and eth2 be in a bridge, with the same IP.

What I need is to make a LAN on a different subnet like this :

Wireless Router <--- 192.168.1.X network Wireless ---> WL-HDD <-- Wired: 10.0.0.xx network.

In order to be able to broadcast stuff to the LAN (eth1) side of the WL-HDD only, that the wifi network cannot see.

Basically I need the wifi interface and lan interface to have separate IP addresses on different subnets, and I can then use iptables to route between the two networks.
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.