Thread: ASUS WL-138g not recognized by mainboard ASUS P3V133 under Windows XP SP2

ASUS WL-138g not recognized by mainboard ASUS P3V133 under Windows XP SP2

Hello!

I try to use this card under Windows XP SP2 on an ASUS P3V133 Mainboard with a 600 MHz PIII CPU. The PCI Revision is 2.2, so it should theoretically work, but does not. There is no network adapter in the device manager visible. Searching new hardware manually fails.

Any idea? Is there a better manual than this joke named "quickstart manual" available?

Thank you ,
    Christoph

This may not answer your question, but the WL-138g is a horrible network card from my experience. It was a big pain to set up and use the way I wanted to. In the end, I'm now not using ASUS drivers at all but drivers directly from Marvell found through device manager's update feature...

I don't know about it not being detected--that's a tricky one. Didn't the card come with a CD? Try downloading the drivers and using them and see if anything's detected. If it's not, try a different card. There really is no hope for this one in terms of improved features or any of that. It has worked alright for me lately, but I am using a third-party wireless program (Odyssey Client) to keep stability. I'm not sure if the stability problem is that of the card or the router (probably the router) but still... I'd get a card more well-known, probably one with afterburner support too, but that's not completely necessary

My advice may be the best you'll get when it comes to this card . Sorry about that. Just warning you--don't keep it if you still can get a different one. I wouldn't wait around for a reply here.

Quote Originally Posted by cconrad
    Hello!

I try to use this card under Windows XP SP2 on an ASUS P3V133 Mainboard with a 600 MHz PIII CPU. The PCI Revision is 2.2, so it should theoretically work, but does not. There is no network adapter in the device manager visible. Searching new hardware manually fails.
    Same here, except I had a ASUS P2B-F. The card is simply not recognized on the PCI bus.
    If you have the chance I suggest to bring it back and ask for another (non-ASUS) card. This card is nothing but trouble. I have used it for a while in my other system, but now it doesn't show up anymore.

You may try using another PCI slot. It may even be necessary to take one or more other PCI cards, find a working slot for the WL-138g and install it, and then add the other cards one by one. Depending on your system design and BIOS it may work in some but not in all slots. Sometimes upgrading the BIOS may help, also you may need to change one or more BIOS settings (PCI IRQ setting, PnP OS setting, disable unused devices (Infrared)). Also there may be conflicts with other PCI cards, especially old video , modem or RAID cards or even drivers may cause problems.

Don't blame the WL-138g upfront!

(Although I agree it's not always easy to get it working properly.)

Good luck!
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Wink Install to drivers of mother board

Quote Originally Posted by cconrad View Post
    Hello!

Any idea? Is there a better manual than this joke named "quickstart manual" available?

Thank you ,
    Christoph
    Caro amigo, Voce deve inserir o cd de instalação do driver da motherBoard no CdPlayer , porém quando o programa de install for iniciado cancele a instalação, e acesse o cdplayer com o windows explorer, então procure pelos arquivos com a extensão .inf e selecione o arquivo. Com o (botão direito do mouse "enter") click sobreo arquivo e escolha a opção install.
    Isso o ajudará até que encontre o driver correto.

Espero ter ajudado.... Edilson Osório.

Presidente Prudente - São Paulo - Brasil