Thread: WL700GE openwrt or Oleg firmware

WL700GE openwrt or Oleg firmware

Hi,
    I just bought a WL-700gE recently. Due to a bug in the original firmware, I was able to telnet into the router. I could login as root and was even able to install asterisk on it. I eventually want to install openwrt on this device, but I don't think I know enough to do it. As far as I can tell, the firmware contains 3 sections, kernel, mini root, real root. kernel and mini root will be written to flash (2MB) real root system will be written to the HD. It looks very like what is described here http://www.openmss.org/Hardware/MssExtractFirmware (as they have the same CPU and design).
    My question is what should I go next in order to run openwrt or oleg's firmware on this device? I can post more information from the router if that will help.

Thanks a lot !

My firmware would not run on this unit, as it too big to fit to flash and does not contain ide stuff too.
    Try porting openwrt instead...

how many ram it has? 64mb? have you tried benchmarking samba/ftp performance for large files?

Thanks, Oleg,

WL700GE has 64MB RAM, 300Mhz CPU, 2MB flash, 3USBs, 1 IDE.
    I haven't really get a chance to test the performance, but i will definitely post it when I get to test it. Is there any reason that should be a concern? It seems like that this one has all the right components.

Oleg, what do you think my best course action should be in order to port openwrt? the flash is just 2MB, should I tried to reduce openwrt down to that size? As far as I know, the 2MB mini root fs is only temporary, in the process of booting, the root will be change to the one in the HD. can I do the same with openwrt. I tried to post this in openwrt forum, so far I have not gotten any good response yet.

Thanks a lot.

There are several ways: 1)You shoud build yet another openwrt image, which should be kernel + squashfs + ext3@ide (instead of jffs). 2) Use something like USB booting (IIRC openwrt guys added a stuff similar to my boot_dev handling).

Please check routing performance too. This is very interesting for everyone here.

Performance

Got a chance to test the performance:
    SMB:
    PC to router: 40 Mbps
    router to PC: 10 Mbps
    FTP:
    PC to router: 30 Mbps
    router to PC: 10 Mbps

Routing between PCs
    80 to 90 Mbps depends on the HD speed

I am not sure how fast the internal IDE is running. (DMA or PIO)
    I think there is probably a limit set to 10Mbps since the router to PC speed tops at 10Mbps.

Hope this helps..
    My firmware is 1.0.3.6. Asus is saying they will release a new firmware in the end of this month.

firmware..

Oleg,

After some research on the custom firmware issue, I think it is probably to much for me to try to do openwrt at this point. I will probably just dissect the official firmware and add ipkg into it. I am already able to dissect the file system and am able to mount the filesystem. Question is how do I combine it back with correct checksum(if there is any).

Thanks,
    Lewis

I guess I found what you did before. Quick question where can I find that trx tool from broadcom? Thanks.
    Last edited by lewislin; 30-03-2006 at 18:32.

telnet

Quote Originally Posted by lewislin
    Hi,
    I just bought a WL-700gE recently. Due to a bug in the original firmware, I was able to telnet into the router. I could login as root and was even able to install asterisk on it. I eventually want to install openwrt on this device, but I don't think I know enough to do it. As far as I can tell, the firmware contains 3 sections, kernel, mini root, real root. kernel and mini root will be written to flash (2MB) real root system will be written to the HD. It looks very like what is described here http://www.openmss.org/Hardware/MssExtractFirmware (as they have the same CPU and design).
    My question is what should I go next in order to run openwrt or oleg's firmware on this device? I can post more information from the router if that will help.

Thanks a lot !
    may I ask you how did you manage to telnet into the router?