Thread: Can I use the Wl-500g just as a wlan-printserver?

Can I use the Wl-500g just as a wlan-printserver?

Hi folks, great forum, spent last night reading...

Since yesterday I managed to irreparably destroy my Longshine parallel-port 802.11b-Printserver while opening the case with a screwdriver (yes, i am very stupid ), i am looking for a new one. Since the new one should be 54mbit with wpa and a parallel printer-port i thought of using a wl-500g as such, because i haven't found a plain printserver with the abovementioned characteristics.

I use a USRobotics 9106 DSL-Modem/Router/Wlan-AP with my desktop-computer (WinXP Pro connected by ethernet-cable) and two notebooks (1 XP Pro, 1 win95b, don't ask connected by wlan). The printer is a HP Laserjet 6MP, which was connected to the Router by wlan and is installed on the computers on TCP/IP standard port (see picture http://www.wl500g.info/attachment.ph...1&d=1141207403)

I would be grateful if you could tell me the following:

Can i use a Wl-500g as a parallel-port-printserver just like the old standalone printserver i destroyed, just with 54g and wpa? All other functions of the Wl-500g should be disabled. And please be kind, i don't know a lot about computer networks....

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the long post!

frankbatzen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Me thinks that if your HP Laserjet 6MP is working when it is connected to a wired Wl500g, you can use it as a WLAN printserver.

Just configure it as to mode (in systemsetup-Operation mode): Gateway, and extended mode (in Wireless-Advanced): ethernet bridge.
    Setup the SSID, encryption etc as needed to connect to your AP

Hi erik, thanks for the swift answer!

To fully understand it, could you please tell me, what you mean by WIRED Wl-500g? Do you mean that if the printer works with the Wl-500g at all, it does not matter if the connection from the Wl-500g to the other router is by wire or wlan?

Can anybody else confirm this?

Thanks,

frankbatzen

Quote Originally Posted by frankbatzen
    Hi erik, thanks for the swift answer!

To fully understand it, could you please tell me, what you mean by WIRED Wl-500g? Do you mean that if the printer works with the Wl-500g at all, it does not matter if the connection from the Wl-500g to the other router is by wire or wlan?

Can anybody else confirm this?

Thanks,

frankbatzen
    Yes, that is what I mean. So if your printer is normally working with the wl500g than in client mode it also works

Hi,

this sounds very good. I have two more questions, though:

If I use the 500g as a Printserver, I would like to only turn it on only when needed.

1: How long does the device need to "boot"?

2: I have read in the following threads:

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.ph...ighlight=power
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...ght=power+lost

that the WL-500g DELUXE has problems powering up correctly after beeing deprived of power. Are similar issues known for the WL-500g?

thanks,

frankbatzen