After upgrading to the latest modified firmware I experience several problems. I already searched on this forum for solutions, but I was unable to find an answer. Can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong or overseeing something?
For the record: I'm a total *nix newbie but more than willing to learn

The first problem is that I cannot print. Even after creating a new RAW printerport as mentioned in the CR4 topic nothing happens when I want to print something and the svhost gives a connection error after a minute (or so). The printer I am using is a HP Laserjet 6L.

Secondly after upgrading to the CR5 release I am unable to connect to my external USB drive via ftp. In the original asus firmware this worked fine. Does the introduction of Samba has anything to do with this? And if so, is it impossible to use ftp and Samba at the same time?

Last (but not least) I was planning to try to get Samba running, but since I couldn't print anymore I downgraded to the official firmware again so I didn't get into that really. Still I have a few questions about getting samba to run;
1) the bootCmds mentioned in the CR4 topic: is that a file ? And if so, can I just edit it with vi in a telnet session or should I change it in another way?
2) furthermore is it possible to give a step-by-step procedure for getting samba to work; at the moment all information is spread in 2 or 3 topics (as far as I can see) which doesn't make it easier for a newbie like me. Don't get me wrong; I am not asking for a 'and now type this here and here' thing, only a small list of all actions needed to be taken in what order to get it running. The exact information I can find in the other topics. I just want to make sure I don't forget something or do things in the wrong order.
3) My external HDD is formatted in FAT32; is this going to be a problem (the little I know about Samba tells me not, but I want to check anyway )