Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split tunneling

Split tunneling

I would like to make a connection to my work place, next to the "normal" home internet connection. This technique is known as "split tunneling". If you were to attempt this using a Windows XP workstation, you would make a VPN connection and deselect the "use default gateway on remote network" in the VPN connection properties:

I ofcourse was curious if a split tunneling setup is also possible on the WL500Gx, in other words, making a VPN connection without making use of the default gateway on the remote network. For starters, I am wondering if making a VPN connection (apart from the standard connection mode (PPTP)) is possible. Does anybody have an idea on how to proceed?

I do not know the details on how to setup, but you should search regarding "routes". On the windows side adjusting the routes is how you can direct traffic to go out certain network interfaces. I am sure the same holds true for linux (Oleg's FW).

tokyoturnip

Lightbulb

Hi, that's right. Disabling this checkbox stops Windows from setting the gateway from the connection as "default route", that is the route with the target 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0.
    Using Windows you can use the command "route print" to show your current routing table, under linux it is just "route" or better "route -n". You can also change the routing table with this command.

You should start with establishing the VPN connection at all, if you managed that setting the routes will be easy...

Yes, you are right. I should have mentioned that the routing part is not the biggest problem (and I think I know how to do that), but it is using the WL500Gx as a VPN client. Lots of stuff here on the forum on how to use it as a VPN server, but I did not come accross information concerning initiating VPN client connections...

*bump*

I believe there are people on this forum who actually know how to solve my problem, but havent' spotted this topic yet...

I think you have to ask more specific questions... what have you tried yet, which protocol etc...

I wouldn't know where to start making this VPN connection manually.

I know that one of the options during setup is using PPTP to "dial-in" to your ISP, but that is not the option I'm looking for since I already have a connection to my ISP.

So if you want a specific question, it would be: how can I set up a VPN connection manually, next to the normal internet connection, using the WL500Gx as a PPTP client?

I'm not really sure, but I think that would need extra client software on the wl500gx. Maybe there's already something available in the ipkg packages, never played with that before so maybe check out yourself. Or someone else here knows a package that fits your needs ...

As far as I know, the available packages are only concerned with turning the WL500gx into a VPN server, which is clearly not what I would like to do. And second, I don't think the WL500gx just runs any software for Linux based systems that is out there, so I am afraid of just trying something and ending up with a messy configuration...

You could check in here ... all those are for the wl500g(x)

http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/

Edit: just read a lil about VPNs ... and have question: what kind of VPN server is on the other end?
    Last edited by TheEagle; 13-02-2006 at 16:54.

If I understand the question right: You want to use your WL-500gx as a VPN passthrough device and make a connection from your Windows PC to a server @ your work. While this connection is present you still want to use your own internet connection for browsing the net.

This configuration is quite simple frankly. Just disable the 'use remote gateway' on the VPN network settings and you are done. I use this setup almost daily without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    If I understand the question right: You want to use your WL-500gx as a VPN passthrough device and make a connection from your Windows PC to a server @ your work. While this connection is present you still want to use your own internet connection for browsing the net.

This configuration is quite simple frankly. Just disable the 'use remote gateway' on the VPN network settings and you are done. I use this setup almost daily without any problems.
    Although you are right, that was what I said in my start post. The problem is that there are more computers on the LAN that need the same connection. Therefore, yours is not the best solution for my problem and my question remains how to achieve this on the WL500Gx.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagle
    just read a lil about VPNs ... and have question: what kind of VPN server is on the other end?
    Both PPTP as well as L2TP IPSec... but i normally take the PPTP.

*bump*

Tyring to get this under the attention of somebody who knows how to handle this problem....

I looked up the packages for OpenWRT ... seems like they have the pptp client ( read here ) available. So if you you don't fear a little linux ... you could try openWRT instead of Oleg's firmware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast