Thread: Newbie Questions and problems.

Question Newbie Questions and problems.

Just bought a ASUS wl500g Deluxe from newegg.com. I readup on all the facts and problems of WRT and ASUS and decided to go with the ASUS because of the USB ports.
    Following the various tutorials on this site was able to install Oleg's 1.9.2.7-7b firmware from the ASUS offical 1.9.5 firmware using the web interface. Of course I restored to the factory settings before doing so. I was having trouble getting an IP from the cable modem so I flashed it again using the recovery method, and restored to "factory settings" before flashing again.

One of the problems I am experiencing is if I attempt to change the admin password and save using the web interface it does not appear to save the change. I then attempted to change the password from the telnet(have not setup SSH yet) commandline using passwd, which works.. I soon learned I need to run flashgs save and flashfs commit for this password to be saved. Is this true for every change made from the commandline, or web interface? Do I need to run flashfs save, flashfs commit after every change I want to persist through reboot? In changing the admin password with passwd, I notice it does not change the password of the web interface. Are these passwords different? Is the web interface password stored in plain text somewhere that I can edit? Also wish could set the password using to passwd to use more than just letters and numbers.
    Although I plan on configuring SSH to only use publickeys, I want to make sure I have a password other than the default incase password authentication gets enabled by accident.

Any suggestions on solving problems saving admin password on web interface?

I look forward to getting SSH, and Kaid running on this. Also plan on setting up SAMBA shares so my xbox with XBMC installed can stream the videos.

Thank you,

tokyoturnip

Talking Found the answer

I found the answer to my own question regarding not able to change the admin password from the web interface. I learned that if I set the password and click save then goto the Services Tab and click Finish that it will keep the password. Additionally it can use special charecters. Off to get SSH working with public keys now.

Tokyoturnip

Lightbulb Add Finish button to Change Password (1.9.2.7-7b)

After upgrade my WL-HDD to 1.9.2.7-7b the same happened to me.

As I think it is not intuitive to go to another page for confirming
    the update, my suggestion to Oleg would be:

Add a Finish Button to the pages Change Password (and Change User)
    to be consistent with other settings pages.

Offtopic: Oleg thanks for your fine work