Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Something similar like the "wan port dies" issue

Quote Originally Posted by bscottsmith
    Well, my 30 day return policy is coming due, and my patience has run out as well. So, I'm boxing it up and shipping it back. For those of you experiencing the same WAN disconnect with file sharing programs (Azureus, eMule/eDonkey, etc), I suggest you do the same, as this won't be fixed anytime soon. I've tried opening a case with Asus, but to no avail. It's a real shame, this would have been a nice router.
    I've raised the issue several times with Asus' European headquarters at a management level. First they said they'd get Taiwan to look into it. Now they're just blanking me.

I've just kicked out a post to a wide range of UK distributors and retailers, telling them not to stock the unit.

Shame, it could have been the best domestic router on the market if they cared enough.

-Lurks

This is interesting though.

First my router works fine, not the speedproblems on wan, or the port dies issue either. Everything is fine.

My friend changes some settings, router is unable to be restored. Some guys here made a special firmware for me (big thanks) which enabled telnet so I could reset the nvram. I restored the firmware after that.

Now I got both the speedbug and the port dies issue.

I also had all this problems with the WAN port, as you can see from my prevoius post.
    I managed to work around this anoying situation by following this steps: first I set up the wl500g as router only. Then I disabled all the DHCP and DNS servers and after that I set up the ip adress of the wl500g on the LAN as one of the adresses of the network the speedtouch provided (I use the network 10.0.0.0/24 and set up the wl500g as 10.0.0.254) and connected the speedtouch 510 I own to one of the LAN (you read right, LAN) ports. All the DHCP and DNS is done by the speedtouch router.

This way the connection never freezed again. You can also leave the ip adress for the WAN port blank.

update on previous post

As everyone remembers, acording to the previous post I set up my speedtouch as the DHCP and DNS server for my network. This is true, but now I use the wl500g just as an AP. I switched to AP mode and this way, the speedtouch can also manage the ip adress of the wl500g (if setup to get the LAN ip by DHCP). Also, the printer server works in this mode and the router itself acts as a switching hub, so I can use all the LAN (plus the WAN according to the manual) as if they were ports from the speedtouch. As I don't need the firewall and router functions, this setup is great for me and simplifies the network setup I use (only one subnet).

I hope that this post is useful to someone...

I found important information regarding this issue. You can find it here:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=571

Question may be an automised solution to WAN Port die

I got Asus Wl500G since last 2 months and i am
    perticularly disappointed with the Wan port dying
    probleme. Its very annoying. i am visiting your forum
    very punctually. I also tried the last firmware which
    i downloaded from your site 1.8.1.1

till now in all firmwares the log files were not
    comprehensible. but in the new firmware, the logs are
    explicite !!!!
    When my wan port dies, i got this message in my log.
    approx every 24 hrs...
    "Jul 10 01:43:56 dhcp client: deconfig: lease is
    lost"
    only thing i have to do is release and renew my dhcp
    IP on status windows. In static Wan Ip mode i can
    renew, i have to restart.
    my wan speed can go upto 5Mbit for 3-4 hrs without any problems. May be the WL500 does not supprots the dhcp ip lease renewal correctly ?

Now what want to know that is it possible to
    personalise a firmware that renews IP automatically
    whenever we get "DHCP deconfig lease is lost" .
    can we do it via a script which will start with the router.
    and do everything automatically. I am not a hardcore programmer in linux or c - c++ so it may be difficult for me.

can you find out a solution? please help

thank you very much.

apglad
    Last edited by apglad; 10-07-2004 at 01:17.

Firmware is requesting lease renewal correctly. The problem as is seems is with the et driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Firmware is requesting lease renewal correctly. The problem as is seems is with the et driver.

Isn't it possible to reconfigure a forced renewal every 4-6 hrs with udhcpc to try to solutionthe problem , that will let us give a possibility to reinitialise the network card?
    http://www.whitefang.com/dhcp-agent/..._11.html#SEC21

Quote Originally Posted by bscottsmith
    Well, my 30 day return policy is coming due, and my patience has run out as well. So, I'm boxing it up and shipping it back. For those of you experiencing the same WAN disconnect with file sharing programs (Azureus, eMule/eDonkey, etc), I suggest you do the same, as this won't be fixed anytime soon. I've tried opening a case with Asus, but to no avail. It's a real shame, this would have been a nice router.
    What router have you got now m8? Is it working ok with P2P? I am one more affected by the WAN port dies.
    Is it of any good to activate the logs ("Enable log for acces from WAN")? I am on firmware 1.7.5.9.(3) by Oleg.

How do you have your Wireless settings? I am using WEP 128 ATM. UPnP is off because that service was dying also (it died alone, the rest of the router was still working ok). The only value that I am not sure is the "Enable Frame Bursting" found in Wireless / Advanced. I have it in ON. Can this be producing any conflicts related to the WAN port dying?

I have to point also that after renewing my IP ( from the "Status" router's page) my WAN port works again.

Everyone with WAN port die issue is advised to turn on wondershaper, this could workaround a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Everyone with WAN port die issue is advised to turn on wondershaper, this could workaround a problem.
    Oleg: Can you elaborate on this? This is the first time that I heard this term...

EDIT: OK, I am searching for it now... I have found some links.
    Last edited by Thorz; 18-08-2004 at 04:50.

Thumbs up Wondershaper

Look here m8s:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=4217#post4217

The thing looks promising, but I have still some doubts about how to activate it. I recommend you to read this thread and the WIKI page. I hope we all can put to rest the WAN port dying issues with the help of this nice feature.

Thanks Oleg for your useful firmwares, without your work and the work of the other persons in this forum this router would be only an expensive paperweight, ARE YOU LISTENING ASUS?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234