Thread: How to find MAC address?

How to find MAC address?

Hi there!

I must be stupid, since nobody else has asked this question, but how on earth do I find the router's MAC address?

I want to bridge a WL500g and a WL300g, but can't find the MAC address of any of them.

Mine has it on a sticker on the bottom of the router.
    Otherwise telnet to router and perform "ifconfig" - it should print your MAC address.

Hmm.. haven't checked the WL500g for this sticker, but the WL300g has not a sticker...

I've already tried to telnet my routers, but the telnet window is just closing itself after approx. 10 sec...

Have you tried to ping one of them and do a :
    Code:
    arp -a
    Be careful that you must use with your computer the same method that will bridge the routeurs (i.e. cable or wireless)

Or you can use your internet explorer, or firefox, or .... connect to the routeur :
    Code:
    http://ip_router
    and then go to "system setup" and then to "system command" and enter the command :
    Code:
    ifconfig
    I hope i have helped you

Hm... actually not.

Under "System Setup" I've got the following options:
    - Operation Mode
    - Change Password
    - Firmware Upgrade
    - Setting Mangement
    - Factory Default

No "System Command" as you can see...

it's because you use an old oleg firmware or an original one.
    use the direct link:
    http://my.router/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

David has true. Which firmware do you use ? the original from Asus ?

Have you tried "arp -a" ?

How do yo want to bridge you routeurs ? by wireless or by cable ? If it's a wireless connection, have you tried to see with kismet ?

I was using the original (and old) firmware from Asus, yes.

And I'm trying to bridge a WL300G and a WL500G wireless. The WL500G is conncted with cable to the operators router/modem. The WL300G has only power connected to it, and I want it to hook up with the WL500G through wireless.

(This have worked before, even with old firmware - but suddenly it stopped working...)

I've now updated the firmware of WL300G with the newest from Asus, but still can't find the MAC address nor the command line.

I've even tried to update the firmware of WL500G, but now it's fucked up. I can't find it any longer!! It seems to be working, cause I've got both wireless signal and it's working as a switch, but can no longer find it at a local IP or anything. (Tried IP-scan too.)

So now I have no MAC adresses, no bridge and no connection to my WL500G. This is going straight to h....

OK. So to find the IP of the wl500g, first have you tried the first that came with wl500g (192.168.1.1 ???)
    If it's not working, select one of your computer and another one or a modem that is bridge by cable to it. Example :
    Code:
    first computer----wl500g-----second computer
    or
    first computer----wl500g-----modem
    Now, from your first computer, do a "ping" with the ip to the second computer(or modem), then do a "arp -a". It will show you the way that is use to go from the first computer to the second one(or modem).

For the command line, I think it is only available with Oleg's Firmware that is why you don't have it. So, for instance, If you do'nt have a computer that is connected by wireless, i do not have another idea, sorry

The last method i see is to use Oleg's Firmware temporary, use the command line in the web page as I described to you before and save the output to a file with the identification number of the firmware you have used. Then, you will have for wl500g, the MAC address for the wan port, the lan ports, and the wireless port. But as the name of the interface has been changed from one firmware to another, i can't tell you in advance which you must use. As specified in Oleg's Firmware, it is as your own risk....

PS : Note that command in linux to see the interface is "ifconfig" and in windows "ipconfig"