Thread: pppd on demand

pppd on demand

Hello!
    I use pppd on demand. When it is no connection to ISP and i do first ping google.com - there's no reply, but it's on second. So the first ping invokes connection to ISP, and only the second can get replies. The same situation with WWW. Why the first request is not buffering? How realize this?

it's necessary to change ipcp-accept-local and define <local_IP_address>:
    in pppd options. In my case it works.

from man pppd
    active-filter filter-expression
    Specifies a packet filter to be applied to data packets to determine which packets are to be regarded as link activity, and therefore reset the idle timer, or cause the link to be brought up in demand-dialling mode. This option is useful in conjunction with the idle option if there are packets being sent or received regularly over the link (for example, routing information packets) which would otherwise prevent the link from ever appearing to be idle. The filter-expression syntax is as described for tcpdump(1), except that qualifiers which are inappropriate for a PPP link, such as ether and arp, are not permitted. Generally the filter expression should be enclosed in single-quotes to prevent whitespace in the expression from being interpreted by the shell. This option is currently only available under NetBSD, and then only if both the kernel and pppd were compiled with PPP_FILTER defined.
    Is it possible to enable this option?

You've to recompile pppd to use this. At the moment it's compiled without this feature.

i tried to find linux machine for this, but in vain. i still have the problem
    Could anyone re-compile pppd for me?