Thread: Special routing needed...

Special routing needed...

Hey guys, just got my second 500g, already had one @ parents and was very content with it but that one is working ok in basic settings.

This one I want to config in a specific way:
    I have two computers that get an IP address from university by ADSL. One via LAN, one via WLAN network cards.
    The problem is that I let those computers share folders etc. and I want only both of them to access their shares AND the computers of my roommates.

So:
    - I want to just let the DCHP messages from the university DHCP server be forwarded to the pc's
    - block all WLAN stuff if MAC-address not in list
    - block all other LAN traffic if IP-addresses not in list or also a certain list of MAC addresses

the WLAN router is connected to the ADSL router. All computers are connected to a switch that is connected to the WLAN router.

eh.. to clearify things, could you draw a diagram of this? e.g. in visio would be fine, define names etc

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    eh.. to clearify things, could you draw a diagram of this? e.g. in visio would be fine, define names etc

all computers should get their address directly from the dhcp server at the UT behind the adsl line... the router should only be accessible for setup but not get its ip form the UT server...

Please clarify: do you want WLAN clients got their addresses from external DHCP server (not from wl-500g)? Also, the same for wl-500g LAN clients?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Please clarify: do you want WLAN clients got their addresses from external DHCP server (not from wl-500g)? Also, the same for wl-500g LAN clients?
    Yes, both LAN and WLAN clients are registered through the ISP (our university) and should get the IP from the ISP.

In this case you should use wl-500g in the AP only mode. To restrict access to WLAN use mac filters & WEP.

In this case you should use wl-500g in the AP only mode. To restrict access to WLAN use mac filters & WEP.
    Yeah right and how do I restrict LAN ??? I not only want to use it for WLAN but also for router control (so block IP's from outside computers to netbios)

Sorry, your thoughts still unclear to me. You picture does not help. You need to specify exactly where is your LAN, where is your WLAN, there is the DSL modem, and where is the reset of the world. We need everything. And please specify the rules which you want to apply between these parties.

Sorry, your thoughts still unclear to me. You picture does not help. You need to specify exactly where is your LAN, where is your WLAN, there is the DSL modem, and where is the reset of the world. We need everything. And please specify the rules which you want to apply between these parties.

picture below is updated... where there are no rules in the picture, standard rules apply

All local computers get their ip from university dhcp server... the 500g is merely used to block incoming netbios requests and to act as an access point for the laptops without ginving them an ip address itself but allowing the laptops to aquire one from the university DHCP server
    Last edited by JopieK; 05-05-2004 at 19:11.

So no one has gotten any idea how to solve this???

I think the problem is that I want both AP and router functionality. I want the 500g only to block certain messages and for the rest function as a AP.
    Last edited by JopieK; 06-05-2004 at 10:26.