2. Add: Wireless Radio On/Off.
    3. Add: DHCP release/renew
    4. Add: Allow to disable/enable ping response from WAN
    5. Fix: Detect NTFS partition in some case
    6. Fix: Block 80 port for Web Configuration from Internet
    7. Fix: Allow 8080 port for Web Configuration from LAN

can be found at
    http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g..._WL500g_en.zip

HAS ANYONE SUCCEEDED USING THE LPR PRINTING SERVER? I tried with mac os x 10.3, maybe there are some special settings (printer queue name e.g.)?

They somewhat fixed some of the problems with this firmware.

WinXP is 192.168.0.100 and Linux us 192.168.0.101

According to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ my current WAN IP is 206.116.223.43

If I try to access my webserver LAN to LAN it works.

If I try to access my webserver from LAN to WAN I get the router login screen (it asks for username and password) even though I have disabled WEB access from WAN in the router settings.

If I have WEB access from WAN enabled, if I try connecting to my WAN IP, all I get is a timeout error if I use my dyndns assigned name, and I get the login screen if I use the numeric IP.

Well, it seems like they didn't fix my problem.

Originally posted by muaddib
    They somewhat fixed some of the problems with this firmware.

WinXP is 192.168.0.100 and Linux us 192.168.0.101

According to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ my current WAN IP is 206.116.223.43

If I try to access my webserver LAN to LAN it works.

If I try to access my webserver from LAN to WAN I get the router login screen (it asks for username and password) even though I have disabled WEB access from WAN in the router settings.

If I have WEB access from WAN enabled, if I try connecting to my WAN IP, all I get is a timeout error if I use my dyndns assigned name, and I get the login screen if I use the numeric IP.

Well, it seems like they didn't fix my problem.

first thing to mention: you can NOT check if forwarding is working from your own connection, unless you own a second internet connection with it's own IP not routed over the same line offcourse.

i've tried some things succesfully!

set wan port for web access as 8082
    setup virtual server for internal IP at 3389 (terminal server)
    setup virtual server for internal IP at 80 (print server)

ALL those things are working now, they did NOT with the previous firmware avaible

note: I have 2 internet connection running (and 2 routers) to test this, i've rerouted the external IP of the WL500g over my second router to test this

and at least to confirm this, i've removed the route to my second router. and whoila i can't use any of my virtual server anymore at the external ip (when i'm trying to access them from behind the router.

they haven't noted every fix: the Virtual Server is fixed too now

to complete the list i've discovered in just 1 hour testing:

1. Add: Support LPR printing
    2. Add: Wireless Radio On/Off.
    3. Add: DHCP release/renew
    4. Add: Allow to disable/enable ping response from WAN
    5. Fix: Detect NTFS partition in some case
    6. Fix: Block 80 port for Web Configuration from Internet
    7. Fix: Allow 8080 port for Web Configuration from LAN

1: can't confirm yet using unsupported hp g85
    2: i'll try it soon, they should ad a time limit when it's enabled/disabled
    3: don't know, never use it (static dhcp ip)
    4: works!
    5: don't have a usb-hdd
    6: working!
    7: working!

8: virtual server fixed not noted by asus

now they are using LPR it should be able to support 2 printers, as far as I know from the LPR protocol at this moment.

I am comparing the wl500g with my di-604 (D-Link).

The D-Link doesn't give me any grief when I want to check my own webpage, I've also used a Linksys and it works well, but the wl500g doesn't!

D-Link and Linksys have been in the router market for more time than ASUS, in fact, Linksys is now owned by Cisco. I expect ASUS to release a product that has the same capabilities as his competition or more!

I am still using the wl500g as an AP...

in fact the WRT54g which uses the same reference design as asus (YES REFERENCE DESIGN that means they didn't design theirself) only without a LPT/USB at the board, is having at this moment still MORE problems than the Asus WL500g.

Personally i think Asus has given a better dimension to it, they are fucking cheap and you get more functions for less money

and at this moment the router has reached a very acceptable firmware, that's doing it's work very reasonable

offcourse there are a few bugs left but not very much.. the best ding would that the finally release that source code because of the GPL violation

anyone tried lpr printing?

Port forwarding?

how is the portforwarding in this version? There where some problems with the last version?

Re: Port forwarding?

Originally posted by cyberpope
    how is the portforwarding in this version? There where some problems with the last version?
    Originally posted by Antiloop
    they haven't noted every fix: the Virtual Server is fixed too now

Update failed?

Hi all,
    has anyone encountered a problem with the 1.6.5.2 update? I was not able to send the new firmware to my WL-500b at all. The recent update to 1.6.4.6 was OK. It's also strange that the firmware file is not present at this (Europe) site: ftp://www.asus.it/pub/ASUS/wireless/..._WL500b_en.zip

No problem occured during my installation, worked first time. I even did it via WKAN. Got it from ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wirel..._WL500g_en.zip .

My cause to update: 4. Add: Allow to disable/enable ping response from WAN.

I hope that I can use LPR from Windows NT 4.0, but do not if it is possible at all. Also hope to be able to use my job-VPN client (IPsec) and enable the firewall as well, without getting into problem with drop of ESP packages.

Originally posted by FIB
    No problem occured during my installation, worked first time. I even did it via WKAN. Got it from ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wirel..._WL500g_en.zip .
    Well, it seems ASUS put the wrong files to their download locations... They just renamed the .ZIP files and put to WL-500b sections. The original firmware was for WL-500g only and I have WL-500b. I have encountered that but as there was not any WL-500b .TRX file around the download sites, I thought the FW files are exactly same for B and G versions. Now it should be corrected - at least at the www.asus.it FTP server.
    I also tried to update with the current version (1.6.4.6) again - no luck. The router probably checks the version and does not allow to make an update with the same or older FW version. If this is not true, I have a problem... Then I would need to perform the restoration process I think.
    As I have discovered there's 1.6.5.3 version available at FTP site, I will try to update with this latest version now. Hopefully it will fix my problem...
    Last edited by Technik; 10-12-2003 at 12:24.

Printing via LPR works: You have to choose lpr-printing to the ip of the asus (e.g. 192.168.1.1), than choose LPRServer as the name of the printing queue! Works with Mac OS X.

Originally posted by justwords
    Printing via LPR works: You have to choose lpr-printing to the ip of the asus (e.g. 192.168.1.1), than choose LPRServer as the name of the printing queue! Works with Mac OS X.
    Works also on Windows NT 4.0 and XP. Thanks for the "LPRServer" keyword. I also found the keyword in the User's Manual release today and just downloaded.