Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.7.5.6 CR2.1 [Oleg]

Firmware v1.7.5.6 CR2.1 [Oleg]

Changelog:

+ Fixed usb printer driver
    + Added VI editor compiled in busybox

also see this thread for changelog for CR2 http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=249

find firmware here: http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g....7.5.6-2.1.trx

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

antiloop,

when we use this firmware, can we use it together with the USB root fs for 1.7.5.6-CR2?

i'm quite confused what comes from the firmware and what from the external USB source....at first i thought that one replaces the other, but the fact that all my settings were remembered after switching to external USB disabused me...

it was about time for an editor.... keep up that great work

cheers, thomas.
    Last edited by piri; 29-04-2004 at 15:27.

when using rootfs(cr2) from usbkey, the wl500g boots up from your usbkey

so you need to overwrite your usbkey/hdd with the rootfs from this firmware.

maybe oleg can supply the rootfs of CR2.1

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Guys, just to clarify: this firmware is in fact the test firmware posted for resolving problems with kernel oopsses. I'm still waiting for the feedback on that and once I'm be able to resolve this terrible issue I will post the 1.7.5.6-3 firmware, sources & rootfs. Please wait for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Guys, just to clarify: this firmware is in fact the test firmware posted for resolving problems with kernel oopsses. I'm still waiting for the feedback on that and once I'm be able to resolve this terrible issue I will post the 1.7.5.6-3 firmware, sources & rootfs. Please wait for this.
    Oleg, could you please add the attached files to filesystem of your new customized firmware? ASP files should be placed to web folder, client script should be somewhere in the path (perhaps in the bin folder?).
    With these files it should be possible to change the Admin name from the web configurator menu, client script should allow to enter the Client mode easily. Please note the files may be buggy so please correct it if you find any problem.
    BTW I have encountered a strange thing - it seems the reset to defaults does NOT set all variables properly... I am running 1.7.5.6-test2 (1.7.5.6-2.1) but I believe the same problem will be with original ASUS firmware. Today I had to reset the WL-500g configuration to defaults (using RESTORE button). The 'wl txpwr' command returned 255 (despite several reboots) until I have applied a Wireless-Advanced config page. I did not test the 'hard' reboot (power off) but this behaviour is not OK anyway I think...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok. The script should go to the /init and I think the name should be rc.clientmode. The scripts looks like a hack for me. But it's better than nothing...

well.. better that than nothing, and the firmware is messed up it in the inside anyway already

Technik, I finally decide not to include cleint mode stuff like this. We need to make right firmware with no glitches. So, I've checked the init scripts in figure out how we could "natively" support client mode. So, can you please perform the following test: we need to figure out how to initialize STA mode (bss/ibss) using the "right" commands. So, in order to do this specify all wireless settings you need via the web interface, then reboot the router. In the shell prompt please enter the following commands:
    Code:
    wlcfg eth2 down
    nvram set wl0_mode=sta
    wlcfg eth2 up
    and then check if wireless network functional (i.e. have associated). Also, if you need IBSS mode instead of BSS try
    adding
    Code:
    nvram set wl0_infra=1
    before eth2 up. Also you could switch it to WET (client mode bridge???) mode by specifying "wet" instead of "sta".
    Also, you could probably need to set wl0_channel to 0.
    Please let me know if it works for you.

Code:
    wlcfg eth2 down
    nvram set wl0_mode=sta
    wlcfg eth2 up
    You are right, Oleg. I can confirm that command sequence above is working and I am able to associate with the requested AP using 'wl join' command.

I've expected what wl join does not need at all. Can you check on this?
    Also, does channel setting affect the client mode?

I've expected what wl join does not need at all. Can you check on this?
    Also, does channel setting affect the client mode?
    Well, you will always need to use the join command to specify which AP you wish to connect. Otherwise you stay disassociated even if there's only one AP visible. I did not test the channel setting change yet as I can't easily perform the test right now. But I think it's not very important - usually I don't care about channels at all. The nice option would be to have a possibility to join BSSID instead of SSID (which can be exactly the same for more APs in range). The BSSID should be always unique...

Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    Well, you will always need to use the join command to specify which AP you wish to connect.
    AP == SSID. And we've already specified it via wireless settings...

AP == SSID. And we've already specified it via wireless settings...
    Hmmm... The strange thing is that I get 'associated' even if there's no signal. The BSSID is random (always different after wlcfg eth2 down and wlcfg eth2 up), RSSI and NOISE = 0. The channel is changed in accordance to nvram wl0_channel variable. When I try join and it's not successful, I get disassociated. In my opinion we will have to use join command in loop to be sure the association is correctly made. This part of my script was working perfectly.

Loop is not a good thing in the firmware, so we need to figure out the correct way. With regular linux wireless modules you don't need to loop or join anything with special commands. I think the same applies to broadcom modules.
    Just a thought - have you tried to set channel to auto?

Loop is not a good thing in the firmware, so we need to figure out the correct way. With regular linux wireless modules you don't need to loop or join anything with special commands. I think the same applies to broadcom modules.
    Just a thought - have you tried to set channel to auto?
    Yes the channel auto was set as default first...
    Oleg, I don't see any problem with the loop as it needs to be run just one time. If the signal quality is good, it's only few seconds delay. It would be nice if we could get broadcom modules working as expected but I had no luck with this so far. In my opinion the part of module code must be a fake because of random BSSID associated... It's strange. Did you test it as well? The question is how does it work on another device if there's no signal... I think the BSSID should go to all zeroes and change to correct numbers as soon as the matched SSID is found. This happens if I get associated by the join command and loose an AP signal afterwards. The BSSID changes to all zeroes. If the signal level is up again, the BSSID is changed back to correct one and the connectivity is restored automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast