Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firmware v1.7.5.6 CR2.1 [Oleg]

Personally I've not tested this, because I do not use client mode. That's why I'm asking you to do this.
    As for existing association - this due to the fact wl module was previously in AP mode and shoing garbage to you. Don't worry - new firmware will switch it to the right state with no broken association.
    As for loops - I think there will be one like this
    Code:
    while sleep 15s; do if ! $(wl assoc | grep -q BSSID); then wl join $(nvram get wl0_ssid); fi; done
    This will catch reassociation (in case APs signal is lost) also. Try this one, but perform wl disassoc before it (hope this helps now).

Oleg, your script works fine but it's not necessary to keep it running all the time. You can exit as soon as the first successful join is made. Otherwise you should exit with error status after while (in case the signal is poor or none). That's why I put the LIMIT variable into my stupid script - as per my experience - if you can't connect in about 30 seconds, it does not make sense to continue associating. There's no problem with loosing signal as I already tried to explain in my previous post. So you don't need to fix that situation by permanently running script. The join script should be initiated during the boot (only if the router is configured for Client mode of course) and occassionally by activating some Connect button in web configurator (so user could perform it anytime - perhaps another variable instead of router's SSID should be used).
    BTW, AFAIK some concurrent APs with client mode support can connect using BSSID (MAC address in fact). Maybe I was blind but I did not find any possibility to use that parameter in WL-500g so far. As some access points does not use SSID at all, it's hard to associate them...
    Last edited by Technik; 03-05-2004 at 01:04.

Hm, but suppose your wl500g see 2 APs and the current dies - do we need to reassociate with it? I think yes, that's why the script should run continously. Any thoughts?
    As for BSSID - how to associate using it it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Hm, but suppose your wl500g see 2 APs and the current dies - do we need to reassociate with it? I think yes, that's why the script should run continously. Any thoughts?
    Well, usually there are only AP's with unique SSID's in range. I can't easily check it but I think in case there are two APs with the same SSID, you will be probably automatically reassociated to the AP with better signal level.
    You can be sure the reassociation works automatically without any problem - really NO need to run join again - just one time (or better say until successful association) is enough. Works perfectly for me (joined AP manually 2 months ago) - I have unplugged the antenna many times for a long time. The RSSI and NOISE was frozen then and BSSID changed to all zeroes. After connecting antenna back to router, the these variables returned back to actual values and I could ping to remote AP again without any additional procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    As for BSSID - how to associate using it it?
    That's what I would really like to know... In my opinion it's not possible on WL-500g with current wl module. But D-Link uses that way of association: http://support.dlink.com/techtool/DW.../adv_mode.html
    It allows to connect concrete AP even if there are APs with the same SSID (sometimes it's a disadvantage of course - it would be nice to have both options).
    Last edited by Technik; 03-05-2004 at 11:15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12