Thread: [uPnP] MSN Messenger functions not working fully

MSN Messenger - UPnP Gurus reqd

No Doubt this has arisen before but can a wl-500g work with all the functions of msn messenger? If so how is it set up?
    I have XP pro and a wl-500g with latest official firmware and UPnP enabled in router and XP

Any Ideas as my daughter is driving me nuts

DS

uPnP is broken, at least in the current version. Write an email to Asus, I did. The more people putting pressure on Asus the better.

Br, René

could you please tell us first WHAT is broken at all?

mine msn is working fine..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Originally posted by Antiloop
    could you please tell us first WHAT is broken at all?

mine msn is working fine..
    Does your Messenger work with audio/video?

Could you please try to set up a rule for forwarding traffic to port 80 on a PC behind the firewall, like described in this post:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316

To see whether you get the same result as I do, that would be quite interesting!

Thanks.

Hi again,

I did some further testing, and I got a very strange results!

First test:
    I tried to open a port to emule client/server running on my PC, TCP port 4663 using the internet gateway in Windows XP (uPnP device). Starting up the program did indeed give me an open status, external clients could connect to my PC. This is good news, meaning that the uPnP works to some extent.

Second test:
    Opening a port to a web server on the very same PC, also using the internet gateway, forwarding traffic on port 80 to the local PC.
    Result: Noting using that port works, web traffic in and out is not working.

Looking at the port forwarding status page on the router:
    Destination Prot. Port Range Redirect to
    anywhere tcp 80 192.168.1.2:80
    (all entries made in the internet gateway all have the destination set to "anywhere")

As an aditional test i tried to forward port 80 traffic to the router itself, just as a test, making the port forwarding status page on the router look like this:

Destination Prot. Port Range Redirect to
    anywhere tcp 80 192.168.1.1:80

Surprise! no matter what entry I make in the web browsers address line, all I get is the routers config page!!! This is of course obvious, because when the router gets a request for "anywhere", the of course it gets forwarded to the router itself. This also explains why emule works, as this does not utilize the same ports for server and client. What I don't understand is why, in the second test, I don't see the webpage on 192.168.1.2 no matter what address I enter. If it did that, I could understand the bug completely

As for Messenger, since this application is not using the same ports in and out, it should work. When there is some of my friends online on messenger I will try it out.

I hope that you guys will verify my tests, so the problem can be narrowed down and solved. Please don't let this thread die out, let us continue the discussion. Also if there is part of my message you don't understand, please ask, and I will clarify.

Thanks,
    René

to say.. video (webcam thus) works perfectly

audio i don't know i don't use that..

about forwarding port 80 to another pc.. the routerfunctions 'dies'. the router is still accessible from the in AND outside then but it doesn't forward anymore

if you can describe this very carefully, also with some links how uPnP SHOULD work

i can forward it to my contact at Asus, so they can have a look into it.. and hope they do something about it.

further i'm not familair with uPnP..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Video is fine, but the audio is only one way (and thats on the LAN) I'll have to get some external people to contact to try this fully as my daughter typically told me 'it just doesn't work'!

If any one has the full webcam setup on the group maybe they could PM or email me and I could try it with them

Thanks DS

Originally posted by davidsanton
    Video is fine, but the audio is only one way (and thats on the LAN)
    Then I think you have a problem on your PC instead. Messenger doesn't need uPnP when communicating behind a firewall (AFAIK).

BR,
    René

be suprised as both are recently built Asus 875P's with vannilla XP installs. I'll try a X'over cable and get back to you

DS

I just tried MSN Messenger with a friend (WAN). Audio worked fine and so did file transfer (after turning off Zone Alarm).

However I still don't think the Asus is doing uPnP by the book, and I think that in some cases, their implementation will give problems. I will look arround for some specification of the uPnP, or try forwarding port 80 traffic on a borrowed uPnP router that I still have have in the house.

BR,
    René

Originally posted by davidsanton
    be suprised as both are recently built Asus 875P's with vannilla XP installs. I'll try a X'over cable and get back to you

DS
    as it's internal datatraffic etc. and does not go over your wan port at all, or even over your router at all
    it MUST be a configuration problem

e.g. when sending files over msn inside a lan, your file is send at full lan speed not the speed your modem can do

Hi all

I just Tried a Fujitzu Siemens Connect2air something 500, and opening port 80 using the web interface doesn't close down all traffic on port 80 as is the case, and it works as I would expect.

I am quite confident that the "Destination anywhere" isn't correct. How is this best described for Asus?

BR,
    René