Thread: WL-500G or WL-500G Deluxe ??

Cool WL-500G or WL-500G Deluxe ??

Hi

I've just started look at this fantastic router and come to the conclusion that i'm gonna buy one!=)

But there are some things that i'm wondering on. The biggest, wich i'm gonna choose!

I got a laptop(wireless), pc(cable), printer Brother DCP-110c(usb), external hd - lacie 250GB(usb) and maby a xbox that i want to connect to the router.

But can i connect 2 usb products to the WL-500g or is it only the Deluxe i can connect 2 usb products. What if i buy an usb hub, can i then connect both to the WL-500g?

What kind of wireless pcmia card do you recommand to the Asus router?

The WL-500G cost 50$ less than the Deluxe, thats why i'm wondering on wich i should choose!

Can't think of more question at the moment, but more will come!

Thanks for all feedbacks!!

There is only one USB port on wl500g, and as far as I understand, deluxe has not only two but also usb2.0

Yes, I know that WL-500G only got one usb and one lpt port. And Deluxe got 2 usb ports. But i asked if I can use USB hub and connect it to the WL-500G and on the hub connect my external HD and my printer!

With Samba, or similar installed, I guess it might work with a usb hub. But consider usb2.0 on deluxe model if you plan to plug in hard drives directly to the router.

I run a WL500G deluxe with an USB hub, connected to two USB sticks, an external harddrive, a printer and a webcam.

I would recommend the deluxe because of the support for USB 2.0, which the non-deluxe lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    I run a WL500G deluxe with an USB hub, connected to two USB sticks, an external harddrive, a printer and a webcam.

I would recommend the deluxe because of the support for USB 2.0, which the non-deluxe lacks.
    I'm not sure about USB 2.0 on the Deluxe model. I have bought my because of this, but real benchmark shows that the same external HDD is much slower while connected to the WL500GX than when connected to the computer. Of course, maybe the non-deluxe version is even slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Duchy
    I'm not sure about USB 2.0 on the Deluxe model. I have bought my because of this, but real benchmark shows that the same external HDD is much slower while connected to the WL500GX than when connected to the computer. Of course, maybe the non-deluxe version is even slower.
    USB1.1 and USB2.0 are backwards compatible, but my webcam only works on a USB2.0 port, simply because of the protocol I guess... Since most new hardware is equiped with a USB2.0 interface, it would be a shame if you're stuck with a device that supports only USB1.1 devices. I believe it is worth the additional 15 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Duchy
    WL-500gx is *definitely* USB 2.0 - note that USB 2.0 does *not* mean that the interface has to run at 480MBit/sec. USB 2.0 is a protocol definition which has a *maximum* speed of 480MBit/sec. USB 2.0 devices are not required to run that fast, and the WL-500gx definitely does not run that fast. But it does run faster than the non-deluxe version.

Note that the USB disk speed on the WL-500gx is not that impressive. It is about half the speed of the NSLU2, and any device under USD$200 is going to have a much lower performance than your desktop computer when accessing a USB drive.

I personally have a WL-500gx, because I consider it the best router (and because it runs the Optware packages that my open source project develops), but I use an NSLU2 for disk serving.

-- Rod (www.nslu2-linux.org)

remember that whatever speed USB 2.0 devices can reach, you will always be limited to the speed your network connection can deliver... the diference is that you can achieve wireless 125mbps on the deluxe version ( afterburner mode ). On the non-deluxe version the max wireless conn is 54mbps...

Thanks for all the reply!

What pci and pcmia card would you recommand to the asus router?

And i really liked that NSLU2, think i'm gonna buy one of those and a 2,5" external hd, to make the noice as little as i can, other suggestions?

And i'll just but the WL-500g non deluxe v. because I only need the printer to be connected to it then, and use the NSLU2 to fileserver/webserver etc.=)

Thanks, Stian