Quote Originally Posted by Duchy
I'm not sure about USB 2.0 on the Deluxe model. I have bought my because of this, but real benchmark shows that the same external HDD is much slower while connected to the WL500GX than when connected to the computer. Of course, maybe the non-deluxe version is even slower.
WL-500gx is *definitely* USB 2.0 - note that USB 2.0 does *not* mean that the interface has to run at 480MBit/sec. USB 2.0 is a protocol definition which has a *maximum* speed of 480MBit/sec. USB 2.0 devices are not required to run that fast, and the WL-500gx definitely does not run that fast. But it does run faster than the non-deluxe version.

Note that the USB disk speed on the WL-500gx is not that impressive. It is about half the speed of the NSLU2, and any device under USD$200 is going to have a much lower performance than your desktop computer when accessing a USB drive.

I personally have a WL-500gx, because I consider it the best router (and because it runs the Optware packages that my open source project develops), but I use an NSLU2 for disk serving.

-- Rod (www.nslu2-linux.org)