Thread: WPA PSK + TKIP/AES or TKIP+AES

WPA PSK + TKIP/AES or TKIP+AES

On my asus wl500g I noticed that I can choose between 3 different kinds of encryption.
    WPA PSK with TKIP
    WPA PSK with AES or
    WPA PSK with TKIP+AES

Now I configured the asus to use WPA PSK with TKIP+AES

Does this mean that both types of encryption are used at the same time for stronger encrypion or that either TKIP or AES is used based on the encryption settings configured on my laptop ?

By the way...which type of encryption is better, TKIP or AES ?

It means, that any of those encryption algorithm would be used. You should preffer the newer one (in WPA) - AES.

3. But what is the difference between TKIP-AES and AES only. I know that AES the new WPA2 standard is and TKIP the old one (WPA). Which one is safer?

TKIP has nothing with AES.
    So if you set up your box using TKIP+AES, it takes eighter TKIP or AES for a connection. TKIP is older and AES is newer and better. So if you want a safer connection, choose AES. TKIP works with older parts. es. my SMC router can't AES. Intel's 2200BG cards with driver version 8.0.x.x can't use AES, too, but newer drivers 8.1.x.x and 9.x can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocquer
    TKIP has nothing with AES.
    So if you set up your box using TKIP+AES, it takes eighter TKIP or AES for a connection. TKIP is older and AES is newer and better. So if you want a safer connection, choose AES. TKIP works with older parts. es. my SMC router can't AES. Intel's 2200BG cards with driver version 8.0.x.x can't use AES, too, but newer drivers 8.1.x.x and 9.x can.
    correct this is for maintaining backwards compatibility with TKIP, so in short if you have 10 clients which are AES capable and one which can only do TKIP you should use this function (TKIP+AES) otherwise you would have to switchback completely to TKIP

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO