Thread: Bit Torrent on Asus WL-500gx

Question Bit Torrent on Asus WL-500gx

I'm trying to use my Asus WL-500gx router as a bit torrent downloading machine, so I would be able to switch off my computer during downloading.
    I installed Oleg's firmware, did required modifications such as creating of /opt filesystem on my 160GB external drive, some post-boot scripting etc. I also installed torrent package using ipkg and customized iptables settings so the required ports are accessible from WLAN.
    The problem is that when using btget to download any torrent, it is not working at all and the program is only displaying this error message: Unregistered Torrent. Was anyone able to get this running?

Thanks

Dusan

Bad torrent maybe. Try some other.

Mine btget and other bt-utils work just fine. The problem which i managed to solve was with torrent package which contains torrent_admin and torrent_watchdog. You need to correct both scripts to handle filename with spaces and to search more than one suspended torrent.

I run torrent_watchdog with cron every 15 minutes.
    $cat /opt/etc/crontab
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin
    MAILTO=""
    HOME=/
    # ---------- ---------- Default is Empty ---------- ---------- #
    # m h dom mon dow user command
    */15 * * * * admin /opt/sbin/torrent_watchdog

Quote Originally Posted by oleo
    Bad torrent maybe. Try some other.

Mine btget and other bt-utils work just fine. The problem which i managed to solve was with torrent package which contains torrent_admin and torrent_watchdog. You need to correct both scripts to handle filename with spaces and to search more than one suspended torrent.

I run torrent_watchdog with cron every 15 minutes.
    I do not think this is caused because of bad torrent. It was my initial guess also, but I tried two different torents and one of them I even used for downloading on my PC and it worked with no problem.
    Which torrent package are you using? I'm using torrent_1.0-1_mipsel.ipk from http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/ and there are no torrent_admin nor torrent_watchdog included.

Mine packages for torrent:
    libbt - 1.03-7 - a C library implementing the core BitTorrent protocol
    bash - 2.05b-5 - A bourne style shell
    cron - 4.1-4 - Standard vixie cron, with cron.d addition
    coreutils - 5.2.1-8 - Bunch of heavyweight *nix core utilities
    torrent - 1.0-1 - a collection of scripts that processes torrent files
    Please be patient with download. Take a time before it starts.

torrent package is just for queue administration and downloading and optional! core is btget!
    Last edited by oleo; 17-08-2005 at 07:40.

Quote Originally Posted by oleo
    Mine packages for torrent:

Please be patient with download. Take a time before it starts.

torrent package is just for queue administration and downloading and optional! core is btget!
    No, it is simply not working. Just generating the below mentioned errors. Another variant is simply aborting with "context.c+388: (FATAL ERROR) bad response".
    All torents that I use for testing were succesfully tried on my desktop PC (BitComet WIN32 client).

General guideline: I use 128MB swap. /opt /tmp/harddisk filesystems are ext3.

Check dmesg|more and look for any errors. After many try&error tests I've come to conclusion that HDD must have some cache RAM. Otherwise I/O timeout and sector errors coud occur. Tried more than 5 types of disks and gift just died in lest than 24 hours.

Maybe more than 128MB of swap is recommended as once I've run out of RAM because I assumed that running torrent_watchdog with nice could lower the load. But then the whole process took more than 15minutes and got overlaped with another torrent_watchdod and so on until invietable memory unwrap.

Does anybody tried overclocking CPU?