Thread: Printing to a HP Laserjet 1100

Printing to a HP Laserjet 1100

Hi,

I can see this issue has been heavily debated in the past, but I have not found a solution yet by reading these besides from trying every possible combination of settings, firmware and driver and going slightly mad in the proces.

Are there any recent "breakthroughs" in finding out how to get a HP Laserjet 1100 to print over a WL-500G on WinXP SP2 ?

I can see that my status is the same as everyone else's, I have only managed to print two lines of ASCII code (or something) when i have printed test pages. I connect the printer by a LPT cable. I have set up the TCP port with the IP, and the printer status on the admin page of the router has the printer showing "On-line" and recognised as the correct printer (Hewlett-Packard Laserjet 1100). I have upgraded the firmware to 1.9.2.7.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings,

Peter (Wollup)

Cool

Hi,

I encountered probably the same problems between Asus 500g and HP LJ 1100 and decided to stop wasting time (at least for the moment). I found this nice page http://www.pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/ and tested the printserver on some "historical" hardware. It's really easy to build the print server - HOW TO for people with poor linux experience (like me) is present. For example - it works on 386SX25MHz motherboard. Necessary is of course network card, 8MB RAM and floppy. Finally i used the 486SX25 (i didn't found small enough case for 386 motherboard) with 50Watt power supply.(I cut all LED's, slowed down the fan so the power consumtion is less than 20W - to bee polite - it can still be to much for somebody but I'm satisfied, I can print!!!). It works really nice, the setup is, if I remember the same as RAW printing with Asus. I only changed the IP adress of print server to 192.168.1.252 .
    Now I'm thinkig about to change the Asus-500g for the 500gx. (I'm only not sure if there will be the same possibilities to run Samba [with Czech character page] -BTW many thaks to this great FORUM for so nice howto's, because I didn't found custom SW version for 500gx corresponding to 1.9.2.7.-6b. SW wizzard only shows me 500g versions.)
    If I can't use the parrallel port for printing so I would like to have USB2.0 ports.

Regards Jan

P.S. I think the printing problem could be based on hardware - it means for example the parallel port isn't able to supply the data or control lines with enough current and the puls edges are deformed because - I can see that Asus receives and sends data to printer but my printer prints only garbage. That means for me that the printer doesn't understands the incomming data or the data are deformed by the port. I tried to insert the parallel ZIP drive between Asus and printer (in hope that there could be some pull-up or amplifiing register in ZIP drive but isn't. Asus haven't seen the printer.)

Lightbulb Waste of time?

Tried recommended LPR-settings in WinXP and also in Linux Ubuntu (UNIX Printer) - same crappy-line-result- Search here in this Forum and hours in ASUS Supporthotline (now knowing everting that's been said 'bout ASUS worse custumersupport is true) brought me to the solution that it's a firmware problem.

ASUS has tested the Laserjet 1100 with the wl-500g before bringing the router to market and it worked fine. In the forum archive I've found a list where everybody should write down his combination of printer and firmware and if this combo is working - firmware 1.7.5.x and older worked with LJ1100.

Is it not possible to compare this old firmware to newer versions to solve this f*****g problem? Other solution will be to sell wl-500g and to buy netgear/D-Link/SMC hardware - this worked fine with LJ1100

OK - without kidding: Something has gone wrong between firmware 1.7.5.x and 1.7.6.x - please try to find the mistake
    Last edited by LeBurn; 25-09-2005 at 12:54.

Never heard about 1.7.6.x. Have you tested it with older firmwares?