Thread: FTP Server on LAN not internet (WAN)

FTP Server on LAN not internet (WAN)

Using grc.com (aka shields Up) as the benchmark, ever time I try this the stealth response changes to closed on the ports. Is it possible to keep stealth and activate a LAN FTP server or HTTP for that matter (on my old SMC it seemed easier!) What settings are required to achieve this aim (any WL-500g guru's out there?)

Thanks DS

I don't know if your problem is with the FTP server built into the router but take a look on this page anyway:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=306

No the FTP exposes to the Internet fine, I'm just trying to have an FTP server on the LAN - showing stealth (private) to the internet

DS

I think you need to elaborate a bit. My enterpretation of what you write:

You have a WL-500g connected to the internet (WAN), and to a number of computers (LAN). You have an FTP server running on one of your LAN PC's. You want this to be stealthed from the WAN side (ie, showing as stealth on the Shields Up page). Am I understanding this correctly?

In that case you should be able to stealth the FTP port 21 by using the trick explaned on the link in my previous post. If not, then I must get your question all wrong.

br, René

No the FTP server was to run on the wl-500g and be accessable from the LAN but not the internet (preferably showing stealthed and not closed to 'shields up')

Thanks DS

On re-reading I see where you were coming from :-)

DS

Originally posted by davidsanton
    No the FTP server was to run on the wl-500g and be accessable from the LAN but not the internet (preferably showing stealthed and not closed to 'shields up')
    OK, Then your problem is exactly as my problem and you should be able to use the solution on the above link.

BR,
    René

Thanks - Spot on

DS