Thread: Harddisk Spin down (again)

Harddisk Spin down (again)

Hi Oleg!
    I know you are not a fan of this topic. However, since energy is expensive it would be a good way to save some. I would be glad, if you built in such a feature in your firmware (Hdparm?).

Maybe in the next version?

Ghm. What is the price for one kWh in your locale?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    It's perhaps more of a noise issue

Anyways, my suggestion to TS would be: find a working example of spinning down a usb hdd on a linux system (spindown initiated by the OS, not by the hdd itself) and then ask for a port here.
    I've searched myself and finally I decided I could live with the noise :P

I don't know exactly. But the point is, in my home country we try to save energy where possible. I have got an ASUS WL-HDD running with your firmware. I do not use it as an USB device. It is connected by LAN to a DVB receiver.

hi,
    I second that request...but not only to save energy cost..
    Quote Originally Posted by Maske5
    I have got an ASUS WL-HDD running with your firmware. I do not use it as an USB device. It is connected by LAN to a DVB receiver.
    same to me. After 6 month continuous error free operation (Toshiba 2,5" 60GB HD) the HD finally crashed without any warning! I have to think these cheep Notebook devices don't like continuous operation...I think I have to buy special devices designed for e.g. BladeServer which are specified for 24/7. Therefore I exceptionally second hdparm and/or Wake-On-LAN.

cu,
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by petgun
    think I have to buy special devices designed for e.g. BladeServer which are specified for 24/7.
    Actually IBM BladeServers use generic laptops drives (Toshiba IIRC). No special drives are available.

Actually IBM BladeServers use generic laptops drives (Toshiba IIRC). No special drives are available.
    maybe that IBM use generic laptop drives for their BladeServers, but I am pretty sure that are special 24/7 designed 2,5" HD's around...imo Fujitsu...can't find the link at the moment but I keep on searching....

Quote Originally Posted by wireless
    It's perhaps more of a noise issue
    Anyways, my suggestion to TS would be: find a working example of spinning down a usb hdd on a linux system (spindown initiated by the OS, not by the hdd itself) and then ask for a port here.
    I've searched myself and finally I decided I could live with the noise :P
    Sorry to make this my first post in here, but reading the forums i realised that i just read about this over at http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nsl...rive-spindown/ - note however that this is against a 2.6 kernel

If you're using a WL-HDD then hdparm is available. You can find it as a download if you do a search of this site or you can install it via ipkg.
    I use hdparm -S 240 /dev/discs/disc0/disc in my post-boot script to give a 20 mins spindown time.

It is possible to spin down usb hdd's in the nslu2...
    2 ways: one with a kernel patch, and another without...
    look here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/...wnUSBHarddisks

I tried the scsi-idle without kernel patch on the wl500g...
    but I didn't get it to work...

Did anyone else try it?
    Last edited by gwl; 17-02-2006 at 23:44.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

Oleg,

I would also appriciate if you can integrate the HD spindown feature. Not everybody is an linux expert to do this by themself. It would help us very much and maybe also fix some enviroments, where it is not working.

Many Thx
    Andi

Spinning up/down drives too often is not a good idea for HDD lifetime as well. However, USB cases for HDDs are not vented very well and excess heat may lead to damage.

Any long-term experiences about running 3.5" HDDs for 6-8 hrs per day (spin down for the remainder of the day) in a USB case ?

Lars

I'm using icy box with a 160GB hardisk since a half year also with thttpd and php also with the rrd-tool and have no problem.

Lightbulb

Hi,

i think spin down is useful. My Hard disk is used maybe 4h in a week and the access is randomly. Is this feature in firmware so hard to handle? Can somebody tell me why?

Quote Originally Posted by pash View Post
    Hi,

i think spin down is useful. My Hard disk is used maybe 4h in a week and the access is randomly. Is this feature in firmware so hard to handle? Can somebody tell me why?
    same here... I have to manually turn it on/off...
    which is anoying... and kills the concept of "wireless"...

I tried several things, but never managed to get hd to enter standby.
    if it is possible on the nslu2... then it should also be possible on the wl500g...
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]