Thread: wl-500g wireless partially not working

wl-500g wireless partially not working

I've recently acquired one of these and thought it'd be fun to extend my current network to include a wireless network. And that's where the problems begin

The network topology is as follows:
    (cable modem) <-> linux firewall (2 nics) <-> regular 100Mbit switch <-> wl-500g lan port
    The regular switch is connected to several pc's.

To test the functionality of the wireless setup, I brought a laptop with an onboard Intel 2200BG and an additional asus wl-100g in case things went wrong.

My plan was to setup the wl-500g as an ethernet bridge (which is happily available from the system setup menu), but with this setting enabled, there is _no_ wireless activity at all.

So I switched to the default setup (home gateway). This instantly fired up the wireless network and my laptop managed to connect to it (open, wep encryption). However, that's where things stopped...at the time of writing, the packet count is 239 sent and 0 received. It shouldn't come as a surprise that I never received a dhcp-lease from the 500g, nor can I connect to anything on the lan if I set my laptop's wireless tcp/ip settings to a fixed ip.

From the router's point of view, my laptop's mac address does show up in the wireless associated stations list, but that's about it.
    Wireless settings on the 500g are on auto wherever possible.

Now what?

I am not one of the gurus here but to me this configuration seems somewhat complicated to begin with

The Asus has a built in firewall and you can hard wire 4 PC's onto it so I would suggest to connect the modem directly to the Asus in home gateway mode.

AFAIK the most simple setup would be that the modem is in bridge mode (it just forwards ISP assigned IP and traffic to WAN port of Asus) and that the Asus does the DHCP thingy and other network stuff.

In case this set up works you could change configuration as you prefer but at least you would know it can work

Edit: For your current config I think the Asus should be set in Access Point mode (System setup - Operation mode)
    Last edited by kwenie; 25-06-2005 at 08:55.
    Stuff I mess around with: Asus WL500gx (1.9.2.7-7g + new bootl. - on USB: HD + HP DeskJet 843C) - Notebook (Medion - Intel Centrino Pentium M-735 1.7GHz, 1280MB, 100GB - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG + WPA-PSK, XP-home) - Desktop (Medion PIII-1GHz, XP-prof, Lan) - ADSL2+ (Livebox in bridge mode)

Quote Originally Posted by kwenie
    The Asus has a built in firewall and you can hard wire 4 PC's onto it so I would suggest to connect the modem directly to the Asus in home gateway mode.
    But I don't want to
    Using a linux pc as firewall gives me _much_ more freedom and configurability. It acts as a nat firewall, dhcpserver, fileserver, and whatever else I manage to get running. All I need is the addition of a wireless AP to the net, not another nat firewall/router.

Quote Originally Posted by kwenie
    Edit: For your current config I think the Asus should be set in Access Point mode (System setup - Operation mode)
    Except it doesn't work. When that's selected, there's no wireless activity whatsoever. My laptop doesn't pick up the configured network at all when it's in this mode.
    When I changed it back to "Home Gateway", my laptop instantly detected the network, but couldn't actually use it (see original post).

I found a thread about I think a more or less comparable situation
    Post is here http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2690, but in Dutch

It seems that you should do the following:
    - Hard wire Asus with LAN port to your network
    - Set Asus in Access Point mode
    - Then under IP config: Give it a name, "Get IP automatically: No", set IP address, subnet and gateway.

Original author then finally says: "this should work", so hopefully it does
    Stuff I mess around with: Asus WL500gx (1.9.2.7-7g + new bootl. - on USB: HD + HP DeskJet 843C) - Notebook (Medion - Intel Centrino Pentium M-735 1.7GHz, 1280MB, 100GB - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG + WPA-PSK, XP-home) - Desktop (Medion PIII-1GHz, XP-prof, Lan) - ADSL2+ (Livebox in bridge mode)

the wl500g is a linux machine it can do all the things your current server does
    but you dont need to when you dont want

if all else fails read the manual
    start out with resetting the router to defaults connecting to your laptop with a cable give it an ipadres to match you network
    test internet connection then start out with basic wireless en the try wep etc

Quote Originally Posted by Neighbour
    But I don't want to
    Using a linux pc as firewall gives me _much_ more freedom and configurability. It acts as a nat firewall, dhcpserver, fileserver, and whatever else I manage to get running. All I need is the addition of a wireless AP to the net, not another nat firewall/router.

Except it doesn't work. When that's selected, there's no wireless activity whatsoever. My laptop doesn't pick up the configured network at all when it's in this mode.
    When I changed it back to "Home Gateway", my laptop instantly detected the network, but couldn't actually use it (see original post).

Quote Originally Posted by xlekx
    start out with resetting the router to defaults connecting to your laptop with a cable give it an ipadres to match you network
    test internet connection then start out with basic wireless en the try wep etc
    Hmm, it worked this time around...might have something to do with the hold-reset-button-time being a lot more than the 5seconds to complete the reset (I actually waited until the powerled started flashing this time

It's now configured as an access point, automatic ip (because there's a dhcp-server on the internal network), open network with 128bit wep...seems to work (as i'm posting this through the wireless network)

Thanks for the help