Thread: Compiling Asterisk for ASUS Platforms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Removed quotes from directory name and retried (unsuccessful)

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    should be

I guess?
    the ' is not required as far as I'm aware

I'm at work currently and I have no linux to check it atm

I tried the suggestion to remove the single quote character ['] around the directory:

./configure --prefix=/opt --host=mipsel-linux --disable-xmldoc --srcdir=/opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0
    configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
    configure: WARNING: invalid host type: 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0
    configure: error: cannot find sources (main/asterisk.c) in /opt/brcm/Asterisk
    Unfortunately, the same error persists. I also tried not use the ' and adding a \ before the space in the directory. This made things worse:

[root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# ./configure --prefix=/opt --host=mipsel-linux --disable-xmldoc --srcdir=/opt/brcm/Asterisk\ 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0
    configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu
    configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in `pwd` "."/`pwd`
    I think that you are right and that the single quotes are not needed.

I noticed that having a space in the directory name can causes interesting problems. This can be resolved by placing the directory in single quotes or placing a \ before a space character:

[root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# cd /
    [root@mythtv /]# cd /opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0
    -bash: cd: /opt/brcm/Asterisk: No such file or directory
    [root@mythtv /]# cd '/opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0'
    [root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# pwd
    /opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0

[root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# cd /
    [root@mythtv /]# cd /opt/brcm/Asterisk\ 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0
    [root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# pwd
    /opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0
    I also tried adding a / to the end of the directory but this only made things worse:

[root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# ./configure --prefix=/opt --host=mipsel-linux --disable-xmldoc --srcdir='/opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0/'
    configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in `pwd` "."/`pwd`
    [root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# ./configure --prefix=/opt --host=mipsel-linux --disable-xmldoc --srcdir=/opt/brcm/Asterisk\ 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0/
    [root@mythtv asterisk-1.8.5.0]# ./configure --prefix=/opt --host=mipsel-linux --disable-xmldoc --srcdir=/opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0/
    configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
    configure: WARNING: invalid host type: 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0/
    configure: error: cannot find sources (main/asterisk.c) in /opt/brcm/Asterisk
    @wpte: in your first reponse, you recommended:
    this configure is probably a good start for compiling, but you need a lot of libraries...
    I'd recommend you just use ipkg packages to get the correct header files, otherwise it's madness to compile everything yourself
    I did not do this (because I have not figured out how): could this (lack of correct header files) be the cause of the configure errors?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

@wpte: I appreciate you taking the time to look at my questions.
    Last edited by gatorback; 29-08-2011 at 18:40.
    ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT | Free Asterisk Book| Asterisk 1.8.4 | Optware | Linksys SPA2102 | G729a codec bandwidth

ok... so actually, you don't need to use "--srcdir=/opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0" at all, it auto detects that...

so, you only have to compile asterisk and the required libraries, or just grab the headers from the ipkg package.
    If I recall correctly, ncurses doesn't come with headers in ipkg tho...

so you can just grab the packages here: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op.../cross/stable/
    and since they are actually .tar.gz archives you can open them on linux quite easily

after you placed the headers somewhere on your pc, you can use a configure parameter to point to the headers. you don't want to install them in the regular folders I guess

usually the parameter is something like:
    --with-packagename=/path/to
    --with-ncurses=/path/to/curses
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    ok... so actually, you don't need to use "--srcdir=/opt/brcm/Asterisk 1.8.5.0/asterisk-1.8.5.0" at all, it auto detects that...

so, you only have to compile asterisk and the required libraries, or just grab the headers from the ipkg package.
    If I recall correctly, ncurses doesn't come with headers in ipkg tho...

so you can just grab the packages here: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op.../cross/stable/
    and since they are actually .tar.gz archives you can open them on linux quite easily

after you placed the headers somewhere on your pc, you can use a configure parameter to point to the headers. you don't want to install them in the regular folders I guess

usually the parameter is something like:

etc.
    I thought that my goal is to create a 'make' file from the configure script.

configure (script) ==> make (file)

As I understand it, the make file is the set of instructions to compile the source code into executable and provides the location to install the executable.

I am not sure I understand what you have written. Are the packages a substitute for having the libraries? Which packages and why? Where should I place these packages? Should they be installed on the router using the ipkg command? How do I know which packages I need? Thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by gatorback; 14-10-2011 at 06:28.
    ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT | Free Asterisk Book| Asterisk 1.8.4 | Optware | Linksys SPA2102 | G729a codec bandwidth