Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR6, updated to CR6a ... now CR6b [Oleg]

Hey Oleg,

I've been using firmware 1.9.2.7-6b for over a week and this firmware finally solves the dhcp lease reset problem, which the ASUS ones don't.

However, the router still reboots sometimes, usually after a day (or two).
    At first I thought that it rebooted because the internal flash was full due to the syslog, so I killed syslogd to prevent that from happening. But still it reboots sometimes.

Unfortunately, I can't give you logfiles because when it reboots, it erases the log (ofcourse) so how or what do you need to track this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by danny
    At first I thought that it rebooted because the internal flash was full due to the syslog, so I killed syslogd to prevent that from happening. But still it reboots sometimes.
    Syslog doesn´t write to flash and is configured to not fill the ram to the brim, so this shouldn´t be the reason of your problem.

Unfortunately, I can't give you logfiles because when it reboots, it erases the log (ofcourse) so how or what do you need to track this problem?
    You can setup a syslog server on your PC like Kiwi Syslog and let your router forward his syslog messages to this server.

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Nothing. You've to find a way to reproduce the problem and then find out the reason...
    Do you use webcam?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    ... so it's good idea to call asus tech support.
    All I have to say about that is lol.

But otherwise, I have to say my router has been extraordinarily stable since I ditched wireless (almost fully; PPC). Even then, it was stable--no crashing in over 20 days, and then I messed with it--but the wireless functionality wasn't, at least when used with my horrible ASUS wireless card (I still have a support ticket open with them about it that hasn't been responded to in a few months now, or ever). Most of my configuration (the firewall) is done with scripts, and recently I was able to "overcome paranoia" and forget about radius (it worked but was an unnecessary pain the way I had it set up). ... Anyway, thanks for the good firmwares, Oleg! I'm having a blast not even having to think about my router.
    Last edited by tomilius; 15-07-2005 at 20:50.

ok the bandwidth management isn't your area to fix, i just thought you may be able to help as your quite good.

with your latest custom FW, any idea why wireless is dead?

i have to use ethernet connection to cable modem now because my pc or my girlfriend's lappy see no wireless router at all??

Quote Originally Posted by p3ngwin
    ok the bandwidth management isn't your area to fix, i just thought you may be able to help as your quite good.

with your latest custom FW, any idea why wireless is dead?

i have to use ethernet connection to cable modem now because my pc or my girlfriend's lappy see no wireless router at all??
    Just a suggestion: if you've wireless channel set to auto, change it to fixed. And then double check your settings.

Just a suggestion: if you've wireless channel set to auto, change it to fixed. And then double check your settings.
    EXCELLENT!
    See? you ARE good !

i tried channel 1 and 11, but six was the first to work. now both PC & Lappy happy.

Thank you Oleg!

From
    P3ngwin (PC) & Koala (Lappy)

Hey Oleg,

I've been using firmware 1.9.2.7-6b for over a week and this firmware finally solves the dhcp lease reset problem, which the ASUS ones don't.

i have the same problem it will reboot after a day or few day....

Nothing. You've to find a way to reproduce the problem and then find out the reason...
    Do you use webcam?
    No, i'm not using a webcam, printer and/or usb.

I can't reproduce it because I have really no idea what it causes, but i'll start a logserver and see if there's something in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantik
    [..] I've gone through
    http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/FlashfsBoot
    and [..] but I have not found any of mentioned files in my WL500g.
    No rc.sshd, pre-boot, post-boot, post-firewall.
    /usr/local contains only dir root.
    You have to create the /usr/local/init and also the boot scripts manually. Note: make sure the boot scripts start with '#!/bin/sh'.

Then perform the flashfs enable/save/commit commands and Bob's your uncle mate!
    Thanks for help, I've tried that, but the script is not executed (chmod +x, saved, commited).
    Moreover in FlashfsBoot wiki pages are mentioned files in /init directory - I have no such directory in my root.

/init is not used anymore. /usr/local/sbin now looked for post-boot, post-mount, post-firewall, pre-boot.

/init is not used anymore. /usr/local/sbin now looked for post-boot, post-mount, post-firewall, pre-boot.
    OMG, this is sooo embarassing

*hides in a dark corner...

Connect & permanent online ?

Oleg,

on two issues I need your help:

1. The Interent connect button does not directly make a connection to the internet.
    At least I can not see that its connected. But when I open up the Internet explorer then the connection will be established. But never via Web Interface to the Router.

2. Could it be that the router keeps all the time the internet connection alife?
    I was just surprised when I checked the online time at my provider that I was 24 hours on line with less than 30 Megs.
    Normaly I would expect after reaching the idle time the internet connection is switched off.

Appreciate your help, keep it going, well done!
    Cheers
    Ende4711

Quote Originally Posted by ende4711
    2. Could it be that the router keeps all the time the internet connection alife?
    I was just surprised when I checked the online time at my provider that I was 24 hours on line with less than 30 Megs.
    Normaly I would expect after reaching the idle time the internet connection is switched off.
    You should manually specify DNS servers for this to work and mark "Idle Tx Only"

Quote Originally Posted by ende4711
    Oleg,

on two issues I need your help:

1. The Interent connect button does not directly make a connection to the internet.
    At least I can not see that its connected. But when I open up the Internet explorer then the connection will be established. But never via Web Interface to the Router.

Appreciate your help, keep it going, well done!
    Cheers
    Ende4711
    issue 1... The button is probably for a direct internet connection and not a dialup connection. I don't have problems with that button
    Last edited by kfaessen; 22-07-2005 at 01:33.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast