Thread: Audio security

Audio security

I'm using the audio functionality of the WL-500g to stream music to my speakers from my laptop. This is obviously done with the Asus plugin for media player.

It has just come to my attention that one of my housemates, having an asus motherboard, also has said plugin as standard, as we discovered when i started getting random music playing! The plugin loads automatically with media player, so i hear his music UNLESS he specifically decides not to load it.

We're on the same network, and do LAN-gaming etc vs each other, as well as sharing the odd file, so i can't just firewall against him outright (which i suspect the Wl500g's firewall could do easily).

Does anyone know of a way to limit the "usb peripheral" functionality to only certain network sources?

Music tcp / udp port ?

Maby the way to do it, is to find out which tcp/udp port it uses, and then block that port from all other devices than your laptop ?
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

Any suggestion as to how i find that out - is it something that is going to be in the literature?

How do i get internet in "router" mode?

I'm located behind another (modem-)router, so my WL-500g is only in "access point" mode. I've just been playing with "router" mode, but i can't for the life of me get it to give me internet when in this mode; it wants loads of WAN information, but the other router handles all that.

I need router mode or 'better' if i want the firewall, of course.

Is this something which should work (and i need to play with more) - or am i out of luck. Any help on this would be appreciated.

And if anyone has a more than a guess as to which port i will eventually need to block, that'd be great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Graldensblud
    I need router mode or 'better' if i want the firewall, of course.
    Just a simple thought of me: Have you tried the 'home gateway mode', this mode is the most commonly used mode and can even be used behind another router. Just setup the 'home gateway mode' and let the WAN interface act like an DHCP client....

What ports to block? Anyone?

There are billions of them! (well, thousands). And media player seems to use a load. Is there a logical way to identify which one(s) it is that i need to deal with, or is it pure trial and error?

I've already thought of emailing Asus, did that, not sure if they'll reply though.

[I got the home-gateway mode working; must have missed something before.]

Quote Originally Posted by Graldensblud
    There are billions of them! (well, thousands). And media player seems to use a load. Is there a logical way to identify which one(s) it is that i need to deal with, or is it pure trial and error?

I've already thought of emailing Asus, did that, not sure if they'll reply though.

[I got the home-gateway mode working; must have missed something before.]
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the router -by default- blocks allmost every port when accessing from the internet. And if you enable the firewall it should even be better. Use ShieldUp! to determine which ports are opened and closed (Or stealthed, which is even better).

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    the router -by default- blocks allmost every port when accessing from the internet. And if you enable the firewall it should even be better. Use ShieldUp! to determine which ports are opened and closed (Or stealthed, which is even better).
    Oh i see. I assumed they'd mostly be open unless i specified otherwise - naive assumption maybe.

I went onto media player's website; there's a page there about tcp ports used for media streaming but it just lists hundreds of possible ports according to different types of streaming/etc, hence i was wondering which one(s) applied to the asus plugin.

Will try that "shieldup" tonight - i was looking yesterday evening for some kind of log of what data was doing but couldn't find one in windows. Thanks.