So, I got hold of a wi-spy 2.4i
The cheapest wi-spy available, tho the hardware would probably cost you just 10%

Anyway, since I've never seen measurements (couldn't find anything on the forums) from the wifi of asus routers I thought it would be nice to do a little investigation.

The thing with wi-spys is, that it can't scan all channels at once, so I left every test running for 10minutes since it seemed a quite clear result after 10min.

Also, I ran the test in a microwave. Why a microwave? well... I thought it would act as a nice Faraday cage since it's quite crowded with wifi here
Now I did test if any noise would be generated with a router inside, but I couldn't find any difference, only many other AP's where filtered away a lot.

The firmware is oleg r2249 (from google code)

First of all, A screenshot from inside the microwave without my WL-500W running:

WL-500W default settings:

WL-500W defaults, but with upper channel

WL-500W defaults, but with lower channel

WL-500W defaults, but only 20MHz (none channel)

It's clearly visible the WL-500W generates a lot of noise around channel 6
But more interesting is that it seems like it doesn't matter how you set things up... it will always use a 40MHz bandwidth

For the people who can't see it, an smaller shot with lines I drawed:

Between the red lines is 20MHz, the yellow lines are an extention to 40MHz so that the WL-500W can serve 270Mbits

What do you think, more tests?
if anyone has a better idea for test setup let me know

p.s. not to be negative about oleg firmware & wifi obviously, I haven't seen results from other firmwares. Also it might be a good chance for wifi tweaking