Thread: flashfs question

flashfs question

Hi all,

I've got some questions concerning the /sbin/flashfs script for which I couldn't find any answers in the forum (which does not mean that they don't exist somewhere). Anyway, my first question is about the strange behavior my wl-500g is showing associated with making changes persistent using the commands

Code:
    flashfs save
    flashfs commit
    When doing so, each time the following lines are duplicated in my /etc/hosts file

Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.001.001 router my.router my.WL500g
    unless I remove those lines manually each time before saving and committing to avoid continuous growth of my hosts file. While this represents not a real problem, I'd love to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The second thing is that Oleg advises on http://wl500g.dyndns.org. to check the size of the /tmp/flash.tar.gz file because of flash space limitations and for backup purposes. But somehow this file does not exist in my /tmp directory. Even though I'm well aware that the file should exist somewhere on my box because I'm using the flashfs scripts quite often, it's location must have been changed. Or maybe it's somehow hidden, but ls -a doesn't do the trick either. I'm using the latest 1.9.2.7.-5a firmware (and by the way want to say thanks to Oleg for his efforts).

Any help on this would be appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by hejira
    Hi all,

I've got some questions concerning the /sbin/flashfs script for which I couldn't find any answers in the forum (which does not mean that they don't exist somewhere). Anyway, my first question is about the strange behavior my wl-500g is showing associated with making changes persistent using the commands

When doing so, each time the following lines are duplicated in my /etc/hosts file

unless I remove those lines manually each time before saving and committing to avoid continuous growth of my hosts file. While this represents not a real problem, I'd love to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.
    /etc/hosts should not be modified directly. use /usr/local/etc/hosts for additional entries.

The second thing is that Oleg advises on http://wl500g.dyndns.org. to check the size of the /tmp/flash.tar.gz file because of flash space limitations and for backup purposes. But somehow this file does not exist in my /tmp directory. Even though I'm well aware that the file should exist somewhere on my box because I'm using the flashfs scripts quite often, it's location must have been changed. Or maybe it's somehow hidden, but ls -a doesn't do the trick either. I'm using the latest 1.9.2.7.-5a firmware (and by the way want to say thanks to Oleg for his efforts).

Any help on this would be appreciated...
    Type flashfs save and it will appear (as well as it would be listed to you).

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    /etc/hosts should not be modified directly. use /usr/local/etc/hosts for additional entries.
    Thanks for your help, Oleg. So I take it that this would be also the more appropriate location for the smb.conf file, right? Up to now I made both (/etc/smb.conf and /etc/hosts) persistent by maipulating /tmp/.files

no, smb.conf is manipulated in another way, so it will not overwrite your changes, so keep it in the /etc if you like.

5. Urgent question - fear of next bootup

Oleg (and others), please, do I have to use "flashfs enable" after every "flashfs save && flashfs commit"? What if the "flashfs enable" command does not finish, it gets hung up? (according to top, the nvram process is marked as D) What if I send a kill signal to the process?

the flashfs.tgz file was of 4566bytes size, so definitelly not oversize.

Do I have to fear next boot up - that the wl500g won't boot?

Thanks a real lot

Jiri

Hi,

I think it's enough to enable the flashfs once. After a firmware update it will be disabled (but not erased) and shall be enabled again.

Regards

Robert
    ISP: TV Cable 50/5 Mbit
    Modem: Arris Touchstone TM822S
    "NAS": 1000 GB 2.5" HDD, EXT4, (USB @ RT-AC87U)
    Router: Asus RT-AC87U 380.68 (Merlin build), vsftpd, Samba3, NFS, Transmission, PyLoad...)
    Clients: mittlerweile unzählige...