Thread: WL-500W burned WAN

WL-500W burned WAN

Hi,
    Im in real trouble, because after storm my WAN port died. I would like to use LAN1 as WAN, but Im not able to change it. Is there any good soul, that will give me help?

I found something at russian forum, but Im unable to translate it

Thanks Jakoob

I will answer my self
    according to this: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13632

I use :
    nvram set boardflags=0x110
    nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3 5*"
    nvram set vlan1ports="0 5"
    nvram set vlan0hwname=et0
    nvram set vlan1hwname=et0
    nvram set wan_ifnames=vlan1
    nvram set wan_ifname=vlan1
    nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan0 eth2"
    nvram commit
    reboot

and its done!!!! I must say that Oleg is GOD and really don't understand, why he is not working instead of the whole Asus development team .....

Quote Originally Posted by jakoob View Post
    I will answer my self
    according to this: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13632

I use :
    nvram set boardflags=0x110
    nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3 5*"
    nvram set vlan1ports="0 5"
    nvram set vlan0hwname=et0
    nvram set vlan1hwname=et0
    nvram set wan_ifnames=vlan1
    nvram set wan_ifname=vlan1
    nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan0 eth2"
    nvram commit
    reboot

and its done!!!! I must say that Oleg is GOD and really don't understand, why he is not working instead of the whole Asus development team .....
    Good find!
    and to answer the second question: companies like asus don't have the time nor money to do large things like oleg did.
    Further developed firmware can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/ if you didn't knew that yet
    Last edited by wpte; 23-08-2010 at 22:47.

Yeah I found it, when I was searching for the solution about WAN. Funny is that with original asus firm(a)ware Im to able to run 802.11n, but with the WL-500W firmware 1.9.2.7-d it started more less itself.

Anyway my router seems a bit slow, what about the RT-N16 is it better or just bit faster than WL-500W ?

To Asus: I've bought Asus Air (the HD streamer) and after the weeks of patience I'm going to scream very loud in the shop. I can't even play 1080p on lan and the Wi-Fi is terrible at whatever resolution. Can you make some firmware too ?

Jakoob

Yeah I found it, when I was searching for the solution about WAN. Funny is that with original asus firm(a)ware Im to able to run 802.11n, but with the WL-500W firmware 1.9.2.7-d it started more less itself.

Anyway my router seems a bit slow, what about the RT-N16 is it better or just bit faster than WL-500W ?
    a bit faster? no, it's quite a lot faster
    With FTP you could reach speeds of over 10MB/s for example.
    And the web packages I'm using now would run way too slow on a WL-500W

To Asus: I've bought Asus Air (the HD streamer) and after the weeks of patience I'm going to scream very loud in the shop. I can't even play 1080p on lan and the Wi-Fi is terrible at whatever resolution. Can you make some firmware too ?
    Guess what? exactly the same problem.
    The remote is very irresponsive as well when on WiFi...
    So I used my old WL-500W as wifi ethernet bridge (like a switch, but it's connected via wifi to my rt-n16).
    And that sort of solved the problems, tho it's not always fast enough for 1080P streaming, 720P always works great tho

But streaming on LAN? are you streaming from your WL-500W? since it isn't fast enough for that...
    I use twonky media server usually, which is a lot faster than samba

Good to hear, that RT-N16 is fast, because I was a bit scared. The only trouble for the future is the absence of 5 GHz band, as in here the Wi-Fi is really crowded.

WL-500W plays role of router only, for my entire home network I use gbit switch TL-SG3109.

For the Asus O!Play I feel very angry, because all tests seemed very good, but now I think, that those testers just wrote some nice letters about it without even unpacking it.

It seems there is some alternative firmware http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...ge=1&count=153, but at first I will try to get refund and buy normal computer...