Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: alpha rt-n firmware releases

Well unfortunately I keep getting "connection reset" when trying an ssh tunnel
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but this way I can't test it as well...

But let me ask about your setup...
    you use a NAS to store files on and a smaller drive with swap and /opt on the router?

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    Well unfortunately I keep getting "connection reset" when trying an ssh tunnel
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but this way I can't test it as well...

But let me ask about your setup...
    you use a NAS to store files on and a smaller drive with swap and /opt on the router?
    yes
    but I belive the rtorrent can't handle huge files
    Last night I installed transmission on my external hdd
    Last edited by Foxem; 17-03-2010 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxem View Post
    yes
    but I belive the rtorrent can't handle huge files
    Last night I installed transmission on my external hdd
    hmm, I never had many problems, only connection problems with ntorrent.
    transmission runs pretty well on the rt-n, especially due to the bigger ram and faster cpu
    no problems downloading at 1,4MB/s here with only... 60% cpu
    my wl500w could only do a 500KB/s or something

Quote Originally Posted by al37919 View Post
    at the moment AFAIK there is no special howto for building rt-n-alpha branch. However, you can use as a base the following instruction: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/wiki...CustomFirmware However, it is only a way..., but not a strict guideline.

IMHO, you have to first learn how to compile the firmware using a dedicated toolchan. The next step is to enable some extra options in the kernel config and recompile it again to produce custom module. I don't see a way to avoid these steps.
    Thanks.

My main doubt was 'how' different was to compile the firmware (specialy after some misguiding posts)

But after your post I've compiled the firmware and everything is up and running now.

sound card

Hello... many thanks for the FW for RT-N16, I kinda wasn't feeling comfortable with DD-WRT...

Everything, I needed so far, is working. But now it comes to what I want )

Sound card, I wish it could work (the same sound card as in this post http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=20623 i.e. it was recognized on 2.4)
    My problem is that I don't know how to make it work. In log I can see "USB audio: attached" but not showing up dmesg and the reason as I understand, that no modules are loaded or included. Any idea what to do? I want to use madplay to play mp3 files on router.

Bluetooth, the second thing I have problem with but to be honest I haven't spent that much time with that as with sound card, but so far it seems to be the same problem (I don't have proper modules for 2.6).

Anyone with working configuration having USB soundcard or bluetooth? Could you please give me some hint?

Thanks
    Last edited by Pedro83; 20-03-2010 at 23:19.

Yes, I was thinking of compiling the other modules into the firmware as well, the modules usually provided in an extra tar...
    I mean the memory in the RT-N16 is more than enough to include the modules, but I have to take a look at what is activated in the kernel config

I don't know if people wouldn't like it, to have a big bulky firmware (around 8MB I guess)
    of course the modules can be loaded up at any time, so it won't take more RAM

Could you please give me a hint where to look for them and how to load them? I think it is better as it is, to keep firmware small and less bulky... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro83 View Post
    Could you please give me a hint where to look for them and how to load them? I think it is better as it is, to keep firmware small and less bulky... Thanks
    At the moment I'm the only one building rt-n16 FW for the public as far as I know.
    The modules that are usually included by the stable FW for the wl series are a bit difficult to include every time there is a svn change, so that's why I build them straight into the FW instead of making a giant messy list of all the modules for every update. also it's more work

So either way, I can build the soundcore and audio modules straight into the firmware, or you have to build them yourself separately.

in the end, you have 32MB flash, why trying to keep it at 4MB, the extra modules will fit easily

At the moment I'm the only one building rt-n16 FW for the public as far as I know.
    Unlimited from Russian forum make night builds of rt-n16 FW ftp://core.dumped.ru/rt-n/

About extra modules - we will include it later, after main functionality will be almost equal to an old stable branch.

Audio modules simply wasn't tested by us.

... so that's why I build them straight into the FW instead of making a giant messy list of all the modules for every update. also it's more work

So either way, I can build the soundcore and audio modules straight into the firmware, or you have to build them yourself separately.
    Thanks guys, I believe I can wait Maybe I can try to build them by my own but my understanding of whole 'doing-so' is fairly limited...
    Quote Originally Posted by lly View Post
    Unlimited from Russian forum make night builds of rt-n16 FW ftp://core.dumped.ru/rt-n/
    I think I will start to follow Russian forum too
    About extra modules - we will include it later, after main functionality will be almost equal to an old stable branch.
    If I may ask, what is current status of main functionality? Roughly...
    I will be here to hear about it or maybe I can help myself somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro83 View Post
    If I may ask, what is current status of main functionality? Roughly...
    FW core is works, but there were some critical bugs in our obsolete 2.6.22 kernel (they are also present in official ASUS FW). We have to find & backport fixes from kernel.org+linux-mips.org upstreams. Most of such bugs appear under heavy load only.

Some netfilter/iptables modules are not backported yet, USB stack is older than in 1.9.2.7-d (EHCI backport from 2.6.27), and many other fixes/backports collected by Oleg & us for several years.

There are several issues with automounting USB HDD, webcam/audio/bluetooth support we even don't start to test.

I'm not suprised, the Russian forum has everything the English forum doesn't have and more

that site also contains modules though?

that site also contains modules though?
    yes, I found there soundcore.ko (I am using r1337) but I'm not sure whether I will also need audio.ko which I didn't find there
    I am going to try it Let's see...
    EDIT: so NO
    Last edited by Pedro83; 21-03-2010 at 12:55.

Printer?

First of all i need to thanks for a great work with the FW almost every of my needs are fulfilled with this FW. But I have a question:
    Does the printer work for anyone?
    My doesnt work, but i dont know if it is because of the printer itself or the FW.

Tanks for a fantastic work!

Quote Originally Posted by ofverstedt View Post
    First of all i need to thanks for a great work with the FW almost every of my needs are fulfilled with this FW. But I have a question:
    Does the printer work for anyone?
    My doesnt work, but i dont know if it is because of the printer itself or the FW.

Tanks for a fantastic work!
    I just compile them, so you should thanks the developers

this svn change: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/source/detail?r=1339
    sort of says that the printer should be working or close to working.
    Have you tried with other asus routers? or is the rt-n16 your first one?

for the WL series the printer functionality works, not for all printers though.
    What printer do you have?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast