Thread: IPX Routing

Question IPX Routing

Hello,

does anybody know, if WL-500g is capable of IPX/SPX routing? I tried using IPX protocol on my Win XP computers in a wireless network, but it did not work, no matter what frame type and/or network number had been specified.

Thanks.

no, it's not supported. use tcp/ip instead.

If you want to use IPX/SPX for example: gaming, you might want to try a wrapping/tunneling program like Gamer's Internet Tunnel

Wasn't that successful, but you might give it a try, allthough it is beyond the scope of this forum

What exactly do you want to route? LAN and WLAN are bridged, so this should work okay. Between WAN and LAN in AP-mode should work to.

In home gateway and router modes, LAN and WAN are seperated. You might want to try recompiling the kernel with IPX support. I never tried routing IPX on Linux, but IPX itself worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by phedny
    What exactly do you want to route? LAN and WLAN are bridged, so this should work okay. Between WAN and LAN in AP-mode should work to.

In home gateway and router modes, LAN and WAN are seperated. You might want to try recompiling the kernel with IPX support. I never tried routing IPX on Linux, but IPX itself worked for me.
    OK, what I meant was probably not actually routing, since I ony need IPX transport to work within WLAN/LAN. My router is in AP-mode, and IPX does work within (wired) LAN, but not over wireless.

I looked around in the Internet and found out that changing IPX settings in WinXP might actually work first after system restart, even if such restart is never equired by Windows. So I'm going to check everything again.

Quote Originally Posted by xopr
    If you want to use IPX/SPX for example: gaming, you might want to try a wrapping/tunneling program like Gamer's Internet Tunnel

Wasn't that successful, but you might give it a try, allthough it is beyond the scope of this forum
    Thanks xopr, this tool looks indeed very promising. I'll give it a try, especially if restarting after re-configuring IPX won't help.