Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New custom firmware - 1.7.5.6-1

New custom firmware - 1.7.5.6-1

Guys, I've prepared new custom firmware. Links, changes a re available here - http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226
    I've tried to include most of the demanding things mentioned in the forum.

Also, as before there is an html version
    available at this location

Please post your questions regarding this firmware in this thread. You can also say "thank you" to me right here.

Regards,
    Oleg.

thank you

Thanks a lot from my side as well . BIG improvements as I can see it.

I'm still struggling with getting it to boot from the HD.

2 things... I noticed
    -The wl500g-1.7.5.6-1-root.tar.bz2 has all files in the cramfs folder, but it needs to be but unpacked to the root instead.

- It seems that the /dev directory is empty after unpacking the wl500g-1.7.5.6-1-root.tar.bz2. I copied it to the ext2 fs with cp -a /dev . which seemed to work.

Anyway, the device is hanging if I boot it with the HD attached (and the boot_dev para set. If I mount manually the disk there are no problems.
    I do have the ext2 fs on the second partition so it is as following: set boot_dev="/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2"
    I also tried /dev/discs/disc0/part2 as bootdev, as that's what I see when I mount the FS. Anyway, seeing the linuxrc script, it should work just fine on the second partion.

I dunno, maybe more luck tomorrow. (got to stop now, my girlfriend will kill me because of the many interruptions of her internet )

suggestions are welcome though...

Alright, thanks again. night night
    Last edited by Technik; 05-04-2004 at 02:37.

Oleg: Wow! A great job again, Oleg! Thanks a lot!

erik_bies: Arghh... I am sorry, I have edited your post by mistake... Hopefully no change was made...

Originally posted by erik_bies
    Thanks a lot from my side as well . BIG improvements as I can see it.

I'm still struggling with getting it to boot from the HD.

2 things... I noticed
    -The wl500g-1.7.5.6-1-root.tar.bz2 has all files in the cramfs folder, but it needs to be but unpacked to the root instead.
    Right.

- It seems that the /dev directory is empty after unpacking the wl500g-1.7.5.6-1-root.tar.bz2. I copied it to the ext2 fs with cp -a /dev . which seemed to work.
    /dev should be empty - the kernel uses devfs and it's mounted on boot.

Anyway, the device is hanging if I boot it with the HD attached (and the boot_dev para set. If I mount manually the disk there are no problems.
    Good news. Filesystem is mounted. Probably you've changed something in the filesystem during the copy. Try copying using something like this

tar -C cramfs -cf - | tar -C /mnt/ext2 -xf -

or using midnight commander

I do have the ext2 fs on the second partition so it is as following: set boot_dev="/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2"
    Right.

I also tried /dev/discs/disc0/part2 as bootdev, as that's what I see when I mount the FS. Anyway, seeing the linuxrc script, it should work just fine on the second partion.
    Does not matter.

I dunno, maybe more luck tomorrow. (got to stop now, my girlfriend will kill me because of the many interruptions of her internet )

suggestions are welcome though...

Alright, thanks again. night night
    How large your filesystem?

Thanks for your explainations.

The funny part is that it is working fine on my flash drive, but somehow it is not working on my USB hardddisk

I have no problems mounting it, I wrote the files now with mc, using exactly the same steps for the USB disk as well as for the flash disk.

The disk is about 20G ig, but I also tried it with a partition of only 256MB (which is the size of the flash drive)

So when I reboot the device, I can see the network coming up (wireless&normal) but I don't get an IP. it seems to me that somewhere in the init it 'hangs'

I was wondering. I see you mount the $boot_dev read-only. It that a requirement? ( I can imagine for a flash drive that's better, but for a normal HD, no problems to write a lot) I'll try it tomorrow while changing it to RW and write some debug info to the disk, to see which part it is hanging on.

@Technik
    No probs

You can remount it rw, no problems. The main reason for ro is what you mount potentially corrupted file system and you should check it with fsck before remounting rw to minimize the risk of data loss or even deeper corruption.
    Also, I've checked it with usb flash only, so if you find the reason why it does not work with hdd it's will be really interesting.
    Regards,
    Oleg.

Question howto change admin username for telnetd and ssh?

I managed to change the admin username for the web interface simply changing it in the saved wl500g.cfg file with a text editor and uploading it to the router again.
    ...only username not password was changed...

after the change neither the new username nor the conventional "admin" login works for telnetd and ssh...

ok, for ssh it seems that i have to rebuild the key, but for telnetd????

any ideas where and how to change this?

cheers, thomas.

Re: howto change admin username for telnetd and ssh?

Originally posted by piri
    I managed to change the admin username for the web interface simply changing it in the saved wl500g.cfg file with a text editor and uploading it to the router again.

after the change neither the new username nor the conventional "admin" login works for telnetd and ssh...

cheers, thomas.
    if you want i have a changename.asp thing avaible (working)

Advanced_ChangeName_Content.asp

alter this piece of code (located in index.asp)

Code:
    aux1 = appendChild(foldersTree, leafNode("System Setup"))          
         if (isModel() != 'WL520' && isModel() != 'SnapAP')
         {
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Operation Mode", "Advanced_OperationMode_Content.asp", "")) 
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Change Password", "Advanced_Password_Content.asp",""))
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Firmware Upgrade", "Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp", ""))
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Setting Mangement", "Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp", ""))
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Factory Default", "Advanced_FactoryDefault_Content.asp", ""))
         }
    into

Code:
    aux1 = appendChild(foldersTree, leafNode("System Setup"))          
         if (isModel() != 'WL520' && isModel() != 'SnapAP')
         {
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Operation Mode", "Advanced_OperationMode_Content.asp", "")) 
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Change Name", "Advanced_ChangeName_Content.asp",""))
      	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Change Password", "Advanced_Password_Content.asp",""))
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Firmware Upgrade", "Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp", ""))
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Setting Mangement", "Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp", ""))
         	appendChild(aux1, generateDocEntry(0, "Factory Default", "Advanced_FactoryDefault_Content.asp", ""))
         }
    place the attached .asp in your /web directory

also change the name of the downloaded script to:
    Advanced_ChangeName_Content.asp (take care of the capital letters)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: howto change admin username for telnetd and ssh?

Originally posted by piri

cheers, thomas.
    you don't need not rebuild the ssh key. please do
    cat /etc/passwd from the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

Problem with reboot with new Oleg FW

Hi All, I have problem with reboot ( save&restart button), whew WAN cable is connected with 1.7.5.6-1 fw. If the WAN cable is connected the reboot hangs, if cable is disconected it reboots and it shows screen with information about cable disconection and button "Login" After pressing the button I am in basic configuration screen. It does without dependence if USB disk is connected or not. The original fw 1.7.5.6 from asus works fine.

Does anybody has the same problem ???

Thanks for help Pavel

Use one provided on this page instead

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249

I've tested the new printing package with an Hewlett Packard Deskjet 720C and its working just fine! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast