DO NOT UPGRADE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    DOWNGRADE IS NOT EASILY POSSIBLE!!

Changelog:
    Release Note:
    1. Update USB speaker
    2. Update USB driver
    3. Chg: SYNC USB for FTP Server
    4. Add: PPTP w/ MPPE
    5. Don't allow user to set radius without key.
    important!!
    When upgrading from 1.7.x.x based firmware: you MUST Reset your WL500g to defaults via the restore button at the back after upgrading to this firmware!

you do not have to do this when you upgrade from 1.8.x.x based firmware!
    but we RECOMMEND you to do a restore to defaults.

Do not import saved settings from older/other firmwares! this can cause unstability to your device
    find files here:

Mirror @ Chupa.nl
    http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g...1.9.4.0_EN.rar
    Last edited by Antiloop; 28-04-2005 at 20:47.

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Enabling telnet/ssh ?

Hi, I installed 1.9.4.0 on my wl500gx, everything seems to work fine (internet, wifi, lan) but I can't seem to find how to telnet / ssh my router, is this feature available? Should I try another firmware version?

Thanks in advance,

Laurent

Try alternative firmware

Hi

The firmware you have installed is an official beta from Asus. They dont ship with telnet/ssh server.

You should go for an alternative firmware - one of Oleg's firmwares...
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

1.9.4.0 Beta - accidently installed!

Hi folks

I'm totally new to this forum and any help would be appreciated as I found the forum after making a totally crass mistake today when upgrading my WL-500g (which was working perfectly fine until then!).

I was thinking of other things when I downloaded the s/w and did'nt notice the BETA marking - I know it sounds COMPLETELY stupid, and it was - but that is what I have done!

The unit appears now to be working OK after pressing the "Restore" Button on the back, and my home network and email are still working (thank goodness!).

The main problem (so far!) is that the User Name and Password appear to have become set to something other than the defaults of Admin and Admin, and so I can't get through to the Configuration menus to upload some more reliable firmware.

Any help or guidance on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated!
    (and, Yes, when I found this forum, I saw the note which says that downgrading is not going to be easy, so I know I am in for some really difficult times here!)

Thanks in advance.

John Allen

Check under FAQ: http://wl500g.info/faq.php?faq=asus_..._upgradedv1800
    there is a post about "not be able to login"

AFAIK downgrading FW is no different than upgrading FW, same precautions applicable
    Last edited by kwenie; 06-06-2005 at 22:40.
    Stuff I mess around with: Asus WL500gx (1.9.2.7-7g + new bootl. - on USB: HD + HP DeskJet 843C) - Notebook (Medion - Intel Centrino Pentium M-735 1.7GHz, 1280MB, 100GB - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG + WPA-PSK, XP-home) - Desktop (Medion PIII-1GHz, XP-prof, Lan) - ADSL2+ (Livebox in bridge mode)

Quote Originally Posted by jeallen01
    The unit appears now to be working OK after pressing the "Restore" Button on the back, and my home network and email are still working (thank goodness!).

The main problem (so far!) is that the User Name and Password appear to have become set to something other than the defaults of Admin and Admin, and so I can't get through to the Configuration menus to upload some more reliable firmware.
    ehr.. restore unit to defaults..

while power is already on, hold restore (or reset) button for 5 or 10 secs then release.. you will loose all settings bla bla bla re-enter everything and it will be fine

login with username admin and password admin

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Log-on problem solved! - and another question?

Quote Originally Posted by kwenie
    Check under FAQ: http://wl500g.info/faq.php?faq=asus_..._upgradedv1800
    there is a post about "not be able to login"

AFAIK downgrading FW is no different than upgrading FW, same precautions applicable
    Kwenie

VERY many thanks for responding - the post about "not be able to log in" was exactly what I needed, and now I have access to the router configuration again!

The only minor problem now outstanding is that I have to leave the Logon "User Name" blank and just enter the password, because, if I enter the "User Name" as "Admin" and then the password, I still can't log-on!

To be safe, I think I will probably download and downgrade to the latest official ASUS firmware, as I probably don't need any of the advanced features that the tweaked software may provide.

However, one thing that would be very useful is to know if you can connect an external hard-disk in a USB-IDE or USB-SATA enclosure to provide Network Attached Storage - and if so which version of the ASUS or other software I would need to install to do this?
    (is this one of the functions of the FTP Server? - Yes, I am very ignorant in that area too!)

Many thanks again to you, and also to all the other members and admins on this forum for putting together so much useful information!

John Allen
    Last edited by jeallen01; 07-06-2005 at 13:27.

The only minor problem now outstanding is that I have to leave the Logon "User Name" blank and just enter the password, because, if I enter the "User Name" as "Admin" and then the password, I still can't log-on!
    This is odd, are you sure you've really reset the router to defaults (see also post Antiloop). AFAIK this should do the trick.

probably don't need any of the advanced features that the tweaked software may provide.
    Yes you do if you want to do this:
    connect an external hard-disk in a USB-IDE or USB-SATA enclosure to provide Network Attached Storage
    The original Asus FW's only support FTP but you likely would appreciate Samba, which supports sharing your HD over your network. Samba is only supported by Oleg's custom FW's, see http://oleg.wl500g.info/
    You could start with this thread http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1984 but other threads about Samba can be useful as well, just search forum.

However, be aware of the limitations. Some people, like myself, have reported problems with copying larger files. Also relevant to be aware of is that file transfer speeds on the whole system are not that high, see for instance http://wl500g.info/faq.php?faq=asus_...wdshowfastisit, but this is not specific for Samba AFAIK.

In general, just check the tutorials section of this forum and the FAQ. You'll learn a lot of the capabilities (and limitations) of your box
    Stuff I mess around with: Asus WL500gx (1.9.2.7-7g + new bootl. - on USB: HD + HP DeskJet 843C) - Notebook (Medion - Intel Centrino Pentium M-735 1.7GHz, 1280MB, 100GB - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG + WPA-PSK, XP-home) - Desktop (Medion PIII-1GHz, XP-prof, Lan) - ADSL2+ (Livebox in bridge mode)