I purchased a WL500g router and Logitech 4000 webcam recently with the intent to make one of those WiFi robots that seem so common. The router and webcam work well together, but the image is only updated once per second and also delayed by several seconds. I'm not sure how practical it will be to use yet, but it's better than no camera.

When it comes to motor control, I was thinking my options are either make/buy an Ethernet controller, use the onboard LPT port or somehow tap into the WL500g's serial port. Electronics are well within my understanding, and I already have the parts needed to an expansion board as seen here. Using the internal LPT or serial port is a little more pro than an Ethernet controller, and if I'm installing custom firmware maybe the update rate of the webcam can be fixed too. However, I have no experience with router modding, so I don't know if any of this is possible.

First of all, what would be my best optional for controlling the motors and like with the router. Is it even possible to send characters to the printer or serial port over wifi? Also, what can I do about the web camera refresh speed?