Thread: samba running > but no write access

samba running > but no write access

hey guys,

i got samba and ftp running by my own, but there is one thing i donīt get fixed.

I have one ext2 Partition and 4 NTFS Partitions on my usb-harddisk. My harddisk folder looks like this:

bin dvd home none part4 tmp
    boot etc initrd opt proc usr
    cdaudio floppy lib part1 root var
    cdrom ftp_pub lost+found part2 sbin vmlinuz
    dev ftp_pvt mnt part3 sys

I got only write access to the ext2 partition (=root of /tmp/harddisk folder)

Part1-4 is not writeable

my samba.conf looks now like this:

[global]
    workgroup = Arbeitsgruppe
    guest account = nobody
    security = share
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = no
    log level = 1
    max log size = 100
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no

[all]
    path=/tmp/harddisk
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    force user = admin

[c]
    path=/tmp/harddisk/part1
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    force user = admin

[d]
    path=/tmp/harddisk/part2
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    force user = admin

[e]
    path=/tmp/harddisk/part3
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    force user = admin

[f]
    path=/tmp/harddisk/part4
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    force user = admin

Could you help me with this Problem !!!

Thanx

do we get something after answering 10 times to the same question? Did you ever read your manual?

nice

u can believe, that i searched around the whole forum to solve this prob. but no success. so why do u just complain an do not post at least a link to the thread which solves the prob?!

thanx!

Because it cost me more time to do this, as I will have to do a search, and I'm not going to do twice your work, which is reading the manual and searching the forums. On the bright side, my answer let you know why you won't get any answer before somebody else take the time to do this for you.

Sigh. Search for NTFS and Samba. You'll see that NTFS => read-only! It even says so in the manual. Solution is to partition to FAT or ext

S.

Quote Originally Posted by barsju
    Sigh. Search for NTFS and Samba. You'll see that NTFS => read-only! It even says so in the manual. Solution is to partition to FAT or ext

S.
    Hehe, you still have patience for this Barju

Well, I'm still a bit of a n00b, so to contribute I'll tackle the easy ones and the rest of you can concentrate on helping me

thanx

this was a simple and quick answer. i was not sure about that the problem ist ntfs. there have been some announces that ntfs is now writeble...

to hugo: if this was too much for ya and ur annoyed about people like me, maybe u have to close the forum to people who only know everthing. I thought the forum was also to help people with lesser knowledge...but maybe I missed something...however I searched the whole forum and i did not get the solution until now. Call me stupid if u want to, but there that much threads in this forum, that it ist sometimes not possible to hit the right thread.

Quote Originally Posted by atomilein
    to hugo: if this was too much for ya and ur annoyed about people like me, maybe u have to close the forum to people who only know everthing. I thought the forum was also to help people with lesser knowledge...but maybe I missed something...however I searched the whole forum and i did not get the solution until now. Call me stupid if u want to, but there that much threads in this forum, that it ist sometimes not possible to hit the right thread.
    First, I'm not managing this forum, I'm just a normal user which learned the same way than you.
    Second, this forum has rules, and the first one is to read the howto before asking a question. The answer is first in the manual, then in a samba howto from the forum, and also in many posts that you couldn't find.
    If you were suspecting a problem with NTFS, why didn't you ask for a simple check if the read only rule still apply with latest firmwares? About searching, the simple fact to type NTFS in the forum gives you many threads where this has been discussed.
    If I was doing the How to, I would be considering as a slap in my face the fact you are still asking question for thinks writen clearly inside it. What do you considere as the most respectfull behaviour: to read something that a member spend time to write properly; or to clutter the forum with the same question every week, so that other members cannot find a clear answer when searching?

Linux world is a community working on some rules. First one is to document yourself before asking a question. Second one is to accept the fact that somebody tells you you haven t done the first part properly.

Quote Originally Posted by atomilein
    this was a simple and quick answer. i was not sure about that the problem ist ntfs. there have been some announces that ntfs is now writeble...

Read this http://www.inet.bg/faq/netiquete.html , then type NTFS in the search field.

Closed.