Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webcam motion detection

No one knows a solution for this?
    Can somebody show me a way to do this with SSH/Telnet?

I realy need this since we have a lot problems with security last months.

Thanks

I found finally way how to send mail with the motion alert

In the textbox for "Email Server" I filled in my mail address from my ISP instead of a SMTP server, and it worked. For "Send to" part you can fill any mail address you want even your own email same as in the other textbox.

Unfortunately it is not working good, it doesn’t matter what sensitivity I set, it keeps sending mails without any motion in front of the cam Do I need another cam to solve this problem?

Question

Hi to all,
    got my WL500gP today - so still original f/w - and I am also having trouble to set up this motion alert stuff. Webcam is a logitech Quickcam 3000 (?) lended from the neighbour.

Motion seems to be detected but get error in log:
    01:00:07 USB webcam: attached
    01:00:29 sendalarm: send email alarm, but can not resolve ip of email server!

There are two fields "Send to:" where I put "name@abc.de" and "Email Server:" which is left blank at the moment.
    Anybody got this stuff working? Thanks for any help.

Greetz, No
    Asus WL500gP (noch ganz neu und original)

Try to fill in the "Email Server:" field with the email adres you got from your ISP like i did, thus "name@abc.de"

Hi, thnx for fast response. Added "name@abc.de" to "Email-Server:", "Send to:" is blank, but still no success:
    Jul 27 07:36:15 USB webcam: attached
    Jul 27 07:36:36 sendalarm: send email alarm, but can not resolve ip of email server!

When I checked the status log after test this morning the msg "send email alarm" was listed before a valid IP form ISP was received. So I thought this is the error. Rebooted 500gP with cam removed, wait for 20-30s, reconnect USB-Cam, but still getting error in log.
    After my first night with this thing I am not very happy.
    Asus WL500gP (noch ganz neu und original)

motion detection , sendalarm

I have an asus wl500g and a webcam pro 4000 (send in bundle with the router).

The camera is working well on LAN/WAN in color mode at 640x480 (with the last oleg's firmware).

The problem is with the motion detection.
    It always says "unable to find adress of the mail server". I've looked up into this forum and google but i didn't find anything concluant. ( i've tried smtp from FAI, ip of the FAI, ip of the adsl router), nothing is sending anything.

i've note that mini_sendmail is working well but i don't know of to replace the sequence in /var/tmp/runshell which contains the sendalarm lines.

I would like to replace them by mini_sendmail or even a wget but each time i change this file, router freeze.

Does anyone as any clue to fix this and get this security mode working ?

Regards

Motion detection doesn't work

hi,

The motion detection doesn't work in my wl500gx router. The cam is a quickcam Pro 4000. When I active this function, i receive à lot of email even if no motion detected.
    have you the same problem ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mesfet View Post
    hi,

The motion detection doesn't work in my wl500gx router. The cam is a quickcam Pro 4000. When I active this function, i receive à lot of email even if no motion detected.
    have you the same problem ?
    Thanks.
    rcamd (the builtin program for webcams) is bad. If you want to run a better solution for your webcam, you should consider using Motion, or Palantir (palantir can't detect motion, but is great for streaming and capturing images). Rcamd slows your router down a lot, because it is constantly streaming the video, even if there's nobody connected, or motiondetect is enabled. After disabling asus webcam in webinterface, and installing palantir, using Oleg firmware, things are running much better.
    Solar inverter monitoring with Asus wl500gx http://solar.reinieren.net (dutch)

How can I install Palantir or other module with motion detection features ? where can i find theses programs ?
    Thanks

How can I install Palantir or other module with motion detection features ? where can i find theses programs ?
    Thanks
    Palantir doesn't support motion detection. If you run Oleg firmware you can install it using "ipkg install palantir"
    I think installing Oleg firmware with some external storage (usb stick or disk) will be your first step. Afterwards, do a search on the forum for Palantir.
    If you want to run motion: "ipkg install motion"
    info about motion: http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome
    info about palantir: http://www.fastpath.it/products/palantir/

Thank you !
    I'm a newbee and i have difficulties to configure motion. I installed it but i cannot modify motion.conf
    Sorry for my english !

Thank you !
    I'm a newbee and i have difficulties to configure motion. I installed it but i cannot modify motion.conf
    Sorry for my english !
    Motion can be configured with webinterface, go to http://router-ipadress:8080
    ...and true, motion has lots of options to configure. Maybe it helps to search also on other linux forums, there's not very much discussed about motion on this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123