Thread: compiling toolchain based on the latest uClibc

Question compiling toolchain based on the latest uClibc

I've read some docs in order to find out how to build proper toochain for wl500gx and I'm still little confused. It seems, that the vanilla sources need a lot of patching.

I would like to know what exactly am I supposed to do, when I want to create valid toolchain based on the latest uClibc release.

Probably the uClibc's buildroot would help me, but I've not yet found out, how it can be forced to use custom (broadband) kernel headers (any help would be appreciated).

May I ask wheter anyone has been using toolchain different from that of Oleg's?

And the last question - it seems that debian has very good support for cross-compilation of it's packages. Maybe it would as well be useful. (dpkg-cross && alien --to-tgz ) However it would probably require patching of vanilla sources as well in order to have these tools work good for wl500g(x)/wlhdd targets.
    But I really don't know how to force it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ja.ro
    I've read some docs in order to find out how to build proper toochain for wl500gx and I'm still little confused. It seems, that the vanilla sources need a lot of patching.
    It seems the openwrt have used a newer toolchain with the latest uclibc. The last time I checked, their firmware does not support wl500gx, but their tool chain should be good.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mctiew
    It seems the openwrt have used a newer toolchain with the latest uclibc. The last time I checked, their firmware does not support wl500gx, but their tool chain should be good.

Cheers.
    It's supported in the experimental build now.

Question self compilation

Thanks, I'll have a look. However, I'd like to know, if anyone has the experience of building toochains, not using those which were precompiled. I'd like to know more about this process in order to better understand the process.

For example: The mipsel-linux is, I suppose, glibc based toolchain. The statically linked programs work well although when they are permitted to link against libraries dynamically, they refuse to work on wl500gx - that is correct, I understand, because the kernel misses glibc/libc implementation.

Is there any way how I can rebuild Oleg's custom firmware with glibc available? (Maybe it won't fit in the flash but that doesn't matter right now - I will use wlhdd in a while)

Second question is - where am I to put my extensions (in the source tree) if I want them to be "packed" into the flashed filesystem?

Quote Originally Posted by ja.ro
    Thanks, I'll have a look. However, I'd like to know, if anyone has the experience of building toochains, not using those which were precompiled. I'd like to know more about this process in order to better understand the process.
    Second question is - where am I to put my extensions (in the source tree) if I want them to be "packed" into the flashed filesystem?
    The openwrt builds everything from scratch, including the toolchain. As for second question, you have to look at the makefiles.

Cheers.