Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new power supply

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j4nn View Post
    I am going to return it today, but I do not see a better alternative in the GM shop unfortunately.
    So I returned the crappy power supply and got a better one, which has 5V/4A label and it works perfectly - it's this one, strange I could not see it in the list of power supplies:
    http://www.gme.cz/cz/index.php?product=751-545

I can now run asus router with seagate 2.5" 250GB harddisk connected, even two additional usb sticks and aver usb dvb-t tuner, all at the same time, running without problem even when wifi is on (having two additional usb ports mod and 128MB ram upgrade mod).

I have the same problem. I think the power supply is broken. Thank you for all the information. I will source a similar one in HK. See if it works.

Looking for a direct replacement

Sadly, Asus isn't helpful at all. Given the following specs of WL-500gP's power supply, a direct and inexpensive replacement is not easy to find, but may be possible.
    • Output: 5V 2.5A (according to its label)
    • DC Plug: Center +; L 10mm, OD 5mm, ID 2mm (basing on my unscientific measurement, please correct me as needed)

1. Buffalo WHR-HP-G54's power supply can be used. It is almost the same as WL-500gP's, except for 5V, 2.6A. The larger amp, the better. But, not sure it's sold separately.
    2. I notice some folks here used the power adapter for D-Link routers. There are some sold on eBay. Watch out for the plug's dimensions.
    3. I personally want to get a 5V, 4A adapter (almost like gouryella's finding), with the fitting dimensions for the plug. Anything out there?

Quote Originally Posted by andify View Post
    Sadly, Asus isn't helpful at all. Given the following specs of WL-500gP's power supply, a direct and inexpensive replacement is not easy to find, but may be possible.
    • Output: 5V 2.5A (according to its label)
    • DC Plug: Center +; L 10mm, OD 5mm, ID 2mm (basing on my unscientific measurement, please correct me as needed)

1. Buffalo WHR-HP-G54's power supply can be used. It is almost the same as WL-500gP's, except for 5V, 2.6A. The larger amp, the better. But, not sure it's sold separately.
    2. I notice some folks here used the power adapter for D-Link routers. There are some sold on eBay. Watch out for the plug's dimensions.
    3. I personally want to get a 5V, 4A adapter (almost like gouryella's finding), with the fitting dimensions for the plug. Anything out there?
    If your old power supply is broken, you don't use it anymore, so simply cut of the wire/plug and use this on your new power-supply, than you don't have to worry about the plug dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    If your old power supply is broken, you don't use it anymore, so simply cut of the wire/plug and use this on your new power-supply, than you don't have to worry about the plug dimensions.
    Yes, that's definitely an option.

Yet, another option, Velleman PSSMV7U may readily supply 5V 4A power to WL-500gP, albeit expensive (> $35).

You should easily be able to find an appropriate power supply on Ebay. Some come with multi plugs, one of which will probably fit the Asus. Otherwise just cut and solder your old plug

I also use an old power supply, as the previous poster (good post Raas. I'm still using your Headstart 2. Going great). Found a suitable plug in my bits bin. The Asus plugs are nothing special.

Some people I know use an 6v or 12v SLA battery on trickle charge. You can use this to step down to 5 or 9 v for all your gear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AX3022-Based-Swi...06164001r18533

I get some of my odds and ends from http://www.jaycar.com.au/printed.asp as there is a store down the road. They do mail order. Ebay from a Hong Kong supplier is probably cheaper.

You have a lot of options. Forget getting the plugpack from Asus
    Last edited by rod178; 09-09-2009 at 03:51.

Just had the power supply on my 1.5 year old wl500g premium go. Got hpome from work and noticed I could not access the HDD attached to my router and WLAN was not working, but could still get online through wired connection. When I tried power cycling the router, the LAN LEDs and power LEDs were alternating (all 5 LAN lights would come on then go off, then power LED would come on and go off). Reset button had no effect. I found this post and suspected the problem might be with my power supply. I went through my parts bin and found the power supply from on old D-Link 5 port switch that was rated for 5VDC @ 2.4A, and the tip and polarity matched the Asus one. Plugged in the router with this power supply and router powered up and worked perfectly. So, anyone having a hard time find a power supply it looks like D-Link power supplies make good replacements.

I fixed mine replacing the defective 1200uF capacitor, in the meantime I ordered from a chinese eBay seller (just_for_survive) a D-Link 5V/3A power supply.
    This works perfectly on our Asus router.
    10US$ including shipping fares.

I have experienced problems similar to Mtmsol's: After having worked perfectly (running Tomato firmware) for more than a year, my Asus WL-500g Premium just stopped working one day. When power supply is plugged in, all five lights (LAN+WAN) give a steady glow.

I bought this generic PSU, but when I plug it in, LAN+WAN lights are flashing quickly, and the router appears not to be working at all.

Would this imply that something (capacitors?) is broken inside the router?

Quote Originally Posted by Halsnalle View Post
    Would this imply that something (capacitors?) is broken inside the router?
    Have you checked if the original Asus PSU is defective?

WL-500G Premium's Lights don't turn on when Power is plugged in!

The title is pretty self explanatory but to elaborate, when i plug in my router (tried with two powersupplies [including the original]), none of the lights turn on. Does anyone have any idea why that is? I've been searching online forever but it doesn't seem like anyone has had this problem before.

Just a bit of background: this router use to be my regular that I used on a daily basis but I got a new one. Now because I want to use the USBs, I tried firing it up again and I was going to use both routers but it just wouldn't turn on.

Any help would be much appreciated

Suppose your original powersupply died and the other power supply doesn't meet the specifications or is dead as well.

Otherwise you need to inspect your router for any blown capacitors or the like.

Can you post info about the powersupplies you used?

Possible stupid question:
    Have you tried another power outlet?

Currently the power supply i am using is an AC-DC Adapter, that has
    INPUT:220-230V - 50Hz 0.2A
    OUTPUT: 12V - 1.0A

I have tried other power supplies

I also have a feeling, it's a problem within the Router but I can't be 100% sure.

The powersupply should deliver 5V and at least 2.5A.

You possibly damaged your router by using a 12V power supply.

You can read it on the sticker on the bottom of your router.

Is there any way I can open it up and fix it?

If I were to do this would I be looking out for?
    Last edited by Omega; 13-06-2017 at 21:00.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast