Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    Note that www.nslu2-linux.org has 276 packages (growing every day ....
    I have updated the Unslung CVS repository Makefile so that it is a one-line change to the top-level Makefile (set TARGET=wl500g) to have the packages build for the wl500g instead of the nslu2. There is also a WL500G_PACKAGES variable which lists some packages that have been verified to build (but may not have been tested on the device). The intention is that Oleg will use this variable to identify the packages which get automatically built and uploaded to http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung.

Note that the Unslung build system is based upon the openwrt build system, so it should be very easy to also port any openwrt packages to the wl500g.

I have also added an "asusoe" distribution to the OpenEmbedded repository, and made that distro use the Asus toolchain directly. OpenEmbedded (which is the build system for OpenZaurus, and OpenSlug, among others) has over 1000 packages available - who knows how many might build and work on the wl500g?

These are two starting points for package developers for the wl500g ...

-- Rod

Rod, thank you for your effort.

Jean-Fabrice, you could now try using unslung build system to build wl500g packages. You do not need to wait for Makefile from me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dejay
    There is a problem with "Idle Disconnect Time" in this firmware, which wasn't in the previous firmware.
    Nothing is changed if you mean 1.9.2.7-3c. Most likely this due to your settings.

When I set the "Idle Disconnect Time" to "0" it told me that it wasn't valid or something like that (did it a few day ago and cant remember) and it wouldn't connect to the internet, but when I set it to 32 000 it started working.

Did anyone else got this error?
    Try again and if it does not work, then please post an output (using telnet session or hidden admin page) for these commands (remove your password as well):
    Code:
    cat /tmp/ppp/options.wan0
    nvram get wan_pppoe_idletime
    nvram get wan0_pppoe_idletime

Quote Originally Posted by mike777
    Hello,

I tried Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4, works well except for one thing. Browsing became much slower.
    I tried going back to wg01090207_WL500g_EN.trx and the problem disappeared.

Anything i could do about it? I would like to keep the costum firmware installed but not at the price of slow surfing.
    This is really hard to help you, as I've no idea of your settings (such as connection type, dns servers, etc.) as well, as I've no idea what does "Browsing became much slower" means for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Jean-Fabrice, you could now try using unslung build system to build wl500g packages. You do not need to wait for Makefile from me anymore.
    I miss this thread... sorry for being late.
    Will give a look at unslung build system. As soon as I find how to use it (will search...)
    Does asusoe use the last uClibc toolchain you patched ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Fabrice
    I miss this thread... sorry for being late.
    Will give a look at unslung build system. As soon as I find how to use it (will search...)
    Does asusoe use the last uClibc toolchain you patched ?
    Ghm... I believe it should use external toolchain (the one which is provided by ASUS and me). Probably Rod could clarify this, as I've not used asusoe yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Ghm... I believe it should use external toolchain (the one which is provided by ASUS and me). Probably Rod could clarify this, as I've not used asusoe yet.
    Yes, AsusOE uses either the Asus external toolchain, or the one that Oleg distributes (depending on where your /opt/bcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc symlink points).

-- Rod

For Unslung packages: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unsl...ckageToUnslung

For AsusOE: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded/HomePage

Note that these pages are written for the NSLU2, but you should be able to work out the changes required to build things for the wl500g if I say the following:

1/ For Unslung, "TARGET = wl500g"

2/ For AsusOE, "MACHINE = wl500g, DISTRO = asusoe"

-- Rod

Thanks a lot Rod.

CVS and packages development are really new for me, so I'm learning...

I have checkout unslung CVS tree in my colinux and now trying to build a package. Seems to work pretty fine for now...

After building my package in builds/, what should I do ? 'make mypackage-ipk' ? Don't I need a CVS write access before ?

Thanks again.

I have checkout unslung CVS tree in my colinux and now trying to build a package. Seems to work pretty fine for now...

After building my package in builds/, what should I do ? 'make mypackage-ipk' ? Don't I need a CVS write access before ?
    Yes. "make <foo>-ipk" will build the ipk file, which you can then scp up to the wl500g and "ipkg install <foo>.ipk" (install from a local file, rather than from an external feed - just give ipkg the full pathname to the local file). You can also setup a local feed - see the "upload" target in the top-level Makefile.

You only need CVS write access to write <foo>.mk and any other files back to the repository. If you attach the make/<foo>.mk and any other sources/<foo>/... files here, I can add them to the Unslung CVS reposoitory for you. Note that the Unslung CVS repository is meant for the NSLU2, and we are re-using it for the WL500g, so I need to check new wl500g packages to make sure they compile on the nslu2 before I add them to the repository.

Most of the users and developers for the Unslung CVS repository can be found in the #nslu2-linux IRC channel on irc.freenode.net - if you need help on developing Unslung packages feel free to ask there. That channel is *not* for end-user help about using pre-compiled Unslung packages on the wl500g - it is a developer-only channel for those who are creating packages (like you are doing).

-- Rod

I have checkout unslung CVS tree in my colinux
    BTW, I use CoLinux too :-)

-- Rod

Here is the output from hdden admin page:

cat /tmp/ppp/options.wan0:

noauth refuse-eap
    user '*****'
    password '*****'
    plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0
    mru 1492
    mtu 1492
    idle demand
    defaultroute
    persist
    ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local noipdefault
    ktune
    default-asyncmap nopcomp noaccomp
    novj nobsdcomp nodeflate
    lcp-echo-interval 10
    lcp-echo-failure 6
    unit 0

nvram get wan_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

nvram get wan0_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

And the system log:

Jan 1 01:00:09 pppd[79]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
    Jan 1 01:00:09 pppd[79]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2
    Jan 1 01:00:09 pppd[79]: invalid numeric parameter 'demand' for idle option

Quote Originally Posted by dejay
    nvram get wan_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank

nvram get wan0_pppoe_idletime:

it is blank
    Have you entered anything to the PPP Idle time box? According to this output it's empty...

Lightbulb Slow browsing - Guess why...

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    mike777, I don't believe I've noticed anything like that...

Try manually setting the first DNS server (in the web administration) to one of your ISP's.

How?
    1. Navigate to Status & Log -> Status
    2. Take note (/copy) of one of the listed DNS Servers
    3. Navigate to IP Config -> DHCP Server
    4. Set DNS Server 1 to the DNS server you took note of (/paste)
    5. Finish
    6. Save & Restart

See if that speeds it up for you.
    Thanks, I noticed this slightly improved my browsing with the original firmware but performance was still lousy with the custom firmware. Even downloading a file was about 10 times as slow. Luckily i figured out why. I had the following settings in Bandwidth Management / Download Policy List: Port 80, Max.(kbps) 128, Min. 96 (kbps). Of course "known bug n. 10" (Bandwidth management page treat rate values as kilobytes, not kilobits) limited the bandwidth heavily on the custom firmware with these settings. Btw, i've put a minimum of 192 and no maximum using the custom firmware and surfing has never been faster, really happy now with the new firmware. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    I have updated the Unslung CVS repository Makefile so that it is a one-line change to the top-level Makefile (set TARGET=wl500g) to have the packages build for the wl500g instead of the nslu2. There is also a WL500G_PACKAGES variable which lists some packages that have been verified to build (but may not have been tested on the device). The intention is that Oleg will use this variable to identify the packages which get automatically built and uploaded to http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung.
    The Unslung Makefile has been updated with new entries for WL500G_PACKAGES and also another variable for packages that compile but just need a simple (but tedious) fix to emit the correct ipk file.

I have started a separate thread at http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2036 for discussion about the Unslung/WL500g packages, as from now on they should work with all future versions of Oleg's firmware, not just the version that this thread describes.

-- Rod

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast