Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR4 [Oleg]

New long awaited firmware available for download: http://files.wl500g.info/asus/custom/oleg/1.9.2.7-4/
    Please note, that it still uses the same Wi-Fi driver as other 1.9.2.7 firmwares, so you could have some instability with it. It's also idea to visit this page if you've questions.

Anyway, here it goes:
    • First publically available firmware with LZMA compressed kernel
    • Fixed bug in the stupid-ftpd code, which prevented NTFS files to be downloaded
    • Fixed Telstra Bigpond support (including auto auth server selection)
    • Updated dropbear to 0.45, fixed several scp related problems
    • Included nfs server functionality (web integrated)
    • Several new busybox applets added, including support for mounting nfs shares
    • Fixed a bug, which is prevented to work client mode when SSID contains spaces
    • Added support for PPTP configuration when PPTP server is located in the different net: use default gateway field to specify gateway address and "Hearbeat server" field to specify PPTP server address
    • Removed debug output from the kernel PPTP/GRE modules and lowered loglevel for PPTP client
    • Added several new iptables targets, including REDIRECT
      WL-HDD should now mount ide disk automagically, as well as any other units with extenal rootfs
    • Added a support for /usr/local/sbin/post-mount script (it's launched once external drives are get mounted, consider moving dependent stuff from post-boot)
    • Added color support in the rcamd refresh mode (thanks to benlau for patch)
    • Added basic IPv6 support (tunneled and static IP address mode) (thanks to phedny for patch)
    • Update uClibc toolchain to enable RPC and IPv6 support
      Added support for installable packages (thanks to Rod Whitby for help)
    • Replaced both trx and addver binaries with modified openwrt trx (thanks to Kitsok for helping)
    • Basic Microsoft MN-700 support

P.S. Installable package feature still needs to be documented. The keyword is ipkg.
    Last edited by Antiloop; 22-04-2005 at 10:36.

Thanks Oleg! Great work as usual, lots of fixes and new stuff.

Would there be enough free space available with the current use of LZMA compression for exchanging stupid-ftp with vsftpd?

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Thanks Oleg! Great work as usual, lots of fixes and new stuff.

Would there be enough free space available with the current use of LZMA compression for exchanging stupid-ftp with vsftpd?
    Well, actually this space is now used by nfs and ipv6 stuff. Anyway, we still have free space and vsftpd could fit to it. The only problem is that vsftpd requires slightly different users concept, which does not applies very well with current stupid-ftpd...

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    The only problem is that vsftpd requires slightly different users concept, which does not applies very well with current stupid-ftpd...
    This could be overcome by replacing the FTP config page in the webinterface with a new one specifically for vsftpd, right? How much efford would that take?

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    This could be overcome by replacing the FTP config page in the webinterface with a new one specifically for vsftpd, right? How much efford would that take?
    I have no idea, as I have not checked this carefully yet.

Does this mean we can use any openwrt package on the wl-hdd? This is the greatest news of the day then!

1.9.2.7-4 WL500g Deluxe client mode - bug or feature?

Summary of problem:
    Asus is setup as WiFi client,attaches to ISP’s AP, but is not able to send or receive any IP packets on WiFi interface.
    LAN ethernet ports are isolated from router inside Asus.
    ----------------------
    Hi,
    I tried to setup Asus 500g Deluxe as Wifi client to connect my home LAN to ISP using WiFi. It looks like there is either some bug in gx version or (more probably) there is problem in my setup (typical problem between keyboard and chair). I have some networking experience (Cisco CCIE,CCNP,CCDP) but Asus is new for me. I tested real life connection to ISP and later (after long hours of fight with ASUS) I built testing lab environment to limit ISP's complications (MAC filtering, security filters etc..). My ASUS worked in lab same way as in real life - WiFi connection has been built (my ASUS attached to AP) but there is no possibility to get DHCP reply, there is 0 packets received on WiFi interface from air. Another (very similar) behaviour is on LAN (eth 0.1) ports, it seems that they are only unidirectional ports.

I am sorry if I made some stupid error in setup but I spent long hours with Asus and I am desperate now. I tried almost everything (different setups, tried all HOWTOs I was able to find) and it does not work as expected.

I described my setup (pictures, screenshots, listings) and my tests as a Word file at http://www.tenzor.cz/surfer/asus/ASUSproblem.doc and I am attaching it to this post.

Could you give me some hint how to make this great router with Oleg's firmware (I like it, really) working in my setup?
    Thanks
    Ivan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Aiwan
    Summary of problem:
    Asus is setup as WiFi client,attaches to ISP’s AP, but is not able to send or receive any IP packets on WiFi interface.
    LAN ethernet ports are isolated from router inside Asus.
    ----------------------
    Hi,
    I tried to setup Asus 500g Deluxe as Wifi client to connect my home LAN to ISP using WiFi. It looks like there is either some bug in gx version or (more probably) there is problem in my setup (typical problem between keyboard and chair). I have some networking experience (Cisco CCIE,CCNP,CCDP) but Asus is new for me. I tested real life connection to ISP and later (after long hours of fight with ASUS) I built testing lab environment to limit ISP's complications (MAC filtering, security filters etc..). My ASUS worked in lab same way as in real life - WiFi connection has been built (my ASUS attached to AP) but there is no possibility to get DHCP reply, there is 0 packets received on WiFi interface from air. Another (very similar) behaviour is on LAN (eth 0.1) ports, it seems that they are only unidirectional ports.

I am sorry if I made some stupid error in setup but I spent long hours with Asus and I am desperate now. I tried almost everything (different setups, tried all HOWTOs I was able to find) and it does not work as expected.

I described my setup (pictures, screenshots, listings) and my tests as a Word file at http://www.tenzor.cz/surfer/asus/ASUSproblem.doc and I am attaching it to this post.

Could you give me some hint how to make this great router with Oleg's firmware (I like it, really) working in my setup?
    Thanks
    Ivan
    i've not read your .doc file yet
    and I'm also not sure if WL500g.Deluxe as Wireless Client works
    I will try this asap when I find some time..
    (I have the same setup with WL-HDD/WL-500g and 1.9.2.7-3c firmware which works flawless only no encryption is used, so please try 1.9.2.7-3c too if you use no encryption)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Aiwan
    Thanks
    Ivan
    Where are you from? If you're from Russia, then PM me. To be honest, client mode was never tested with wl500gx, so LAN port problems could be there.
    As for WLAN problem - do you use hex wep keys or passphrases? Passphrases are know to cause problems (as they're mostly vendor specific, unlike WPA-PSK keys), use hex keys only. Also, have you tried using it without WEP at all?
    Also, dependening on the peer software it could require either "Shared Key" authentication (like you've specified) or "Open System / Shared Key" (this way key is used for data encryption only).

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Added support for installable packages (thanks to Rod Whitby for help)
    P.S. Installable package feature is still need to be documented. The keyword is ipkg.
    Note that www.nslu2-linux.org has 276 packages (growing every day), and 92 of them build out-of-the-box for uClibC on the wl500g.

See http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/un...table/Packages for the complete list (not all of them will compile for uClibC - the nslu2 is glibc-based).

Kergoth (the OpenEmbedded maintainer) has also added uClibC 0.9.19 support for us, which should make quite a few of the 2000 or so OpenEmbedded packages available for the wl500g too. I will be adding an "asusoe" distribution for the "wl500g" machine to OpenEmbedded in the next couple of days.

-- Rod

Nice work! Excellent! If only I had a flash disk... To attempt to test free-radius, I just created a 2mb ext3 file in RAM following your instructions but with a count of 2...

"ipkg.sh update" tells me http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages is a 404, as does my browser...

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    Nice work! Excellent! If only I had a flash disk... To attempt to test free-radius, I just created a 2mb ext3 file in RAM following your instructions but with a count of 2...

"ipkg.sh update" tells me http://wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg/Packages is a 404, as does my browser...
    Seems that Oleg put the files in wl500g.dyndns.org/ipk instead of wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg (note the 'g' on the end).

Oleg, can you move the files on the server from the ipk directory to a new ipkg directory ? It should be called ipkg cause that's what everyone else calls it :-)

-- Rod

I think I'll also mention, though this goes without saying by now (and you, Oleg, state that the WiFi driver is the same), that wireless issues are still present in this version (judging by my Event Log).

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    Seems that Oleg put the files in wl500g.dyndns.org/ipk instead of wl500g.dyndns.org/ipkg (note the 'g' on the end).

Oleg, can you move the files on the server from the ipk directory to a new ipkg directory ? It should be called ipkg cause that's what everyone else calls it :-)

-- Rod
    Sure, moved them. It should work now.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    Note that www.nslu2-linux.org has 276 packages (growing every day ....
    I have updated the Unslung CVS repository Makefile so that it is a one-line change to the top-level Makefile (set TARGET=wl500g) to have the packages build for the wl500g instead of the nslu2. There is also a WL500G_PACKAGES variable which lists some packages that have been verified to build (but may not have been tested on the device). The intention is that Oleg will use this variable to identify the packages which get automatically built and uploaded to http://wl500g.dyndns.org/unslung.

Note that the Unslung build system is based upon the openwrt build system, so it should be very easy to also port any openwrt packages to the wl500g.

I have also added an "asusoe" distribution to the OpenEmbedded repository, and made that distro use the Asus toolchain directly. OpenEmbedded (which is the build system for OpenZaurus, and OpenSlug, among others) has over 1000 packages available - who knows how many might build and work on the wl500g?

These are two starting points for package developers for the wl500g ...

-- Rod

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast