Thread: Firmware Wizard - Updated June-2006

Exclamation Firmware Wizard - Updated June-2006

Dear users,

as the time comes, new features come

currently we are setting up a new 'wizard' so you can easily pick your model and see&download which firmwares are available for this model

it will include custom firmwares too, all firmwares back to 1.8.1.9 have been added the rest will follow soon

click here: FIRMWARE WIZARD

this will also mean that merging of the firmware releases forums will follow when the time is ready

I'm still improving this tool, please help me improve it better with your suggestions
    Last edited by Antiloop; 11-07-2005 at 12:41.

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Your HTML sucks
    Your Color table sucks
    No way to compare firmwares

But other then that it's ok

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Your HTML sucks
    Your Color table sucks
    No way to compare firmwares

But other then that it's ok
    I have no good idea how I should implement a way to compare with eachother

html/table shit will change when final template is ready to a graphical page

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Well, one can only see which firmwares are available, but cannot immediately see what the differences/enhancements between the differences are. He/she will have to constantly switch between the different firmwares for that.

But as far as drilling down toward the correct download selection, using a wizzard, you've done a good job.

It would be nice to add information about confirmed bugs in each firmware.

With that kind of information user will have a better info to choice his firmware.

Anyways adding some interface that we could compare each firmware like styno said is a good idea too!
    Using WL500g - firmware 1.9.2.7-7e [from Oleg's]

Quote Originally Posted by Tomekk
    It would be nice to add information about confirmed bugs in each firmware.

With that kind of information user will have a better info to choice his firmware.

Anyways adding some interface that we could compare each firmware like styno said is a good idea too!
    it's not possible to compare firmware with eachother..

someone has to manage it then, and I will not be that person..
    same for the 'confirmed' buglist
    Last edited by Antiloop; 27-05-2005 at 17:40.

The idea is good, thanks for it!

What would I improve:
    - develop list of features, like NAT, direct IP tables, printing, camera, sound features, remote access via ssh/telnet etc
    - Add have/not have for that list
    (all above for comparasion list)
    - frames. On the left - device+firmware, on the right - features, bugs fixed, bugreports, etc
    No more ideas now. Will keep my eye on the topic, may be add some more ideas or do something by myself

HOW-TO compair:

-Make a list of ALL possible features (in a database) of all the firmware so you have only a list with supported/unsupported/partly supported (or something else just what you like the most).
    -Make an extra field in the database which contains the bugs.

Now you can make a site where users can select 2 firmwares and they see directly what features one firmware has over another.

It takes some time but it's defently not impossible.

When a new firmware comes out with new features then you can add the new features to your list and put at all the other firmwares: not supported.

Good luck with it

I'm sorry, already found in e-mail ...

(http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wizard.php )

(
    err, what's the new (non-chupa.nl) location of this wizard (wl500g.info/wizard.php... gives 404 ) Because i think this could be a useful tool...

)
    Last edited by ram.con; 11-07-2005 at 12:21.

*Updated*

after a long time of being absent I finally finished(?) this wizard:

http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wizard.php?brand=1

url's stay the same, stuff is backwards compatible
    later I will add a 'Copy URL' function as it is possible to do a direct link to the correct firmware or menu choices

few examples:

http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wiza...2&cat=firmware
    http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wiza...firmware&id=51
    http://website.wl500g.info/beta/wizard.php?id=51

This wizard does not work in the Safari browser (Mac).

Also, it would be good to see the latest firmware on the top of the list. I'm using firefox.