Thread: How to make WL500g play nice with modem?

How to make WL500g play nice with modem?

Hi all,

Please forgive my ignorance and bear with me through the long(ish) post.

For a long time I've had my WL500G set as a "home gateway", with a fixed IP 192.168.1.1.
    Then all the other devices on the LAN have their own fixed 192.168.1.xxx IP addresses.

Until recently I was satisfied with this, everything worked fine, wireless, etc.
    The ADSL modem was working in "transparent"/bridge mode, so the WL500g was doing the authentication with the ISP. The modem was just playing a dumb role.

But now I changed the modem to an ADSL2+ capable unit, and would like to be able to use and access it and all of its capabilities.

So, basically this means that ideally I'd like the modem to do the authentication, use its firewall, etc.
    Then keep the WL500g doing exactly the same it has been doing so far, with exactly the same LAN settings and IP addresses, except that it wouldn't authenticate/communicate with the ISP directly, and delegate that to the modem.

How can I do that? Do I need to assign an IP to the modem which is outside the 192.168.1.xxx range? E.g. would 192.168.0.1 be a good IP for the modem/WAN?
    Or is it fine to simply use a regular LAN address for the modem, like say 192.168.1.254 ?

After doing this, then how do I "tell" the WL500G that it shouldn't authenticate with the ISP? Should I change its operation mode to "Router"?
    Also, what would I need to change in the IP Config menu? Change the WAN connection type to what? Set the WAN IP setting, etc? Keep DHCP enabled in the WL500G but disabled in the modem?

Again, sorry for my ignorance, and thanks in advance for your help.

cheers
    Ze

Use Access Point mode ie in the Asus.

This will make all 5 Ethernet ports and wireless devices set to locate in the same local area network. No WAN related functions will be supported.

Hence in Access Point Mode:
    NAT is disabled
    one wan port and four lan ports are bridged together.

Thanks for your reply.
    A few questions about that mode (access point):

1-Will wireless and respective wireless access mode, settings,etc be unchanged?
    2-Will the WL500g keep its IP and be able to assign IPs to other devices in just the same way as it's been doing so far? I presume that DHCP would be handled by the WL500g and not the Modem, right?
    3-What should I change in the individual PC connection settings? I presume that the only change would be to change the Internet Gateway address to the modem's LAN IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.100), am I correct?
    4-In terms of LAN security, would this merging of WAN+LAN pose any problems? Or would this role simply be transferred to the Modem and its firewall, etc?

cheers
    Ze

This should get you started
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233