Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
hehe, called HAMA.....so it means the guys are liars.
Well, all what I can tell you is: please read something, for instance wikipedia or similar. It is the truth, that sticks (any kind of flash) must erase on a block-wise basis, as result you have to write back again each byte of the block.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Limitations
Further, I changed just one stick under warranty, because I dont keep the invoice, as this stuff costs a few bucks.
Sorry, Darius - I'm not willing to discuss about things which are well known, it doesn't make any sense -the only point I suggest is: do a backup, I promise you need it some day.
As sticks are cheap, it is not worth to go for a 20mile drive just to change a stick under warranty for 5 EURO. Cheaper is to throw the stick......
And I buy them when I'm on the way - elsewhere..........
An the last point: all tests with sticks have been done with OS windows.....thats the reason why some tests got as result several millions write cycles (as I mentioned - the driver and a smart control handle this).
have fun
Ok.
HAMA guys are good guys.
One of them advised me to watch for flash memory usb sticks for professional use.
There is a special category of flash memory products for special use (in industry, medicine , as back up for servers and the like).

And what about Asus Eee coming with flash SSD ?
Ok.
Wikipedia provided us with general info.
But I am ready to buy 20 Euro stick to replace 5 Euro one
if that one is more reliable for Asus router over a time of 1-2 years.

I run a small network for 10 users and must have it as reliable as possible, maintenance free.

Any idea for usb flash memory stick reliable replacement ?
Is SSD really much better and more expensive solution, Asus based their Eee series of models ?

Frankly speaking 32GB HC sticks are already on a market.

Darius