Thread: Samba with German-Umlaute & UPnP-Server

Thumbs up Samba with German-Umlaute & UPnP-Server

I am running a WL-HDD 2.5 with firmware V1.2.3.0.
    I want to use the WL-HDD as NAS device in a Win 98 environment, including as an Audio streaming server for mp3-files.

I get a problem with german "Umlaute" in directory- and file-names on the WL-HDD disk running a EXT3 file system. I am able to copy directories and files with umlaute-names (ö ä ü ß) to the WL-HDD from a Win 98 system.They are listed correctly but no delete-, move- or rename-operation works via the Win 98 Explorer. I have explored the system somewhat threw the backdoor. I suppose the reason is a wrong codepage setting in the Samba environment (tmp/etc/config/smb.conf: client code page = 950). In my opinion the needed code page for west europe must be 850 (Latin 1). Sadly I have no Linux workbench for my own and cannot compile the Source code page 850.

Is anyone here in the forum who would kindly make the binary code page available for me?

Furthermore I am looking for a UPnP Server solution. The source code for a server is available from TwonkyVision (daughter from Fraunhofer Institute) URL: http://www.twonkyvision.de/index.html. Maybe a Linux crack in the forum has the same goal and kindly produce a new custom firmware version?

Thanks for tips and hints.
    Walt
    Last edited by Walt; 27-02-2005 at 01:10.

Just to clarify: custom firmwares are not a Linux hacks. It's identical in way, which ASUS uses for building their firmwares.

As for your questions. There 2 different custom firmware packages available for WL-HDD, one is done by JockyW, which uses wl-hdd native firmware sources and adds some features, like samba 3.0, nfs and so on and has the same wl-hdd web interface. It does not contain upnp though.
    Another custom firmware is built by me, using wl500g and friends sources, and it contains all functionality available for wl500g, including upnp, plus support for ide drives. But this firmware does not automatically mount hdd on boot and samba should manually configured. My firmware already contains samba cp850, as well as other codepages, filesystem support could be added to, if this needed.

So, you free to choose whatever you like. As for upnp - it's just a good backdoor for trojans... It's better to avoid using it completely and specify things which you need manually.
    Last edited by Oleg; 20-12-2004 at 09:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Just to clarify: custom firmwares are not a Linux hacks. It's identical in way, which ASUS uses for building their firmwares.

As for your questions. There 2 different custom firmware packages available for WL-HDD, one is done by JockyW, which uses wl-hdd native firmware sources and adds some features, like samba 3.0, nfs and so on and has the same wl-hdd web interface. It does not contain upnp though.
    Another custom firmware is built by me, using wl500g and friends sources, and it contains all functionality available for wl500g, including upnp, plus support for ide drives. But this firmware does not automatically mount hdd on boot and samba should manually configured. My firmware already contains samba cp850, as well as other codepages, filesystem support could be added to, if this needed.

So, you free to choose whatever you like. As for upnp - it's just a good backdoor for trojans... It's better to avoid using it completely and specify things which you need manually.
    Hello Oleg, thank You for your immediate answer.
    a) With "crack" I would better say "expert". Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    b) With "UPnP-Server" I think on a a AV-streaming server solution (here only mp3) like "MusicMatch" or "WinAmp with UpnP-plugin" with support of M3u and PLS playlists. I dont´t speak about "router UPnP passthrought" funktionality. This are two different things!

Thanks for comments.
    Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    b) With "UPnP-Server" I think on a a AV-streaming server solution (here only mp3) like "MusicMatch" or "WinAmp with UpnP-plugin" with support of M3u and PLS playlists. I dont´t speak about "router UPnP passthrought" funktionality. This are two different things!
    Is this something like new feature appeared in the wl500g? http://www.asus.com/news/2004/20041207.htm
    Or you mean something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Is this something like new feature appeared in the wl500g? http://www.asus.com/news/2004/20041207.htm
    Or you mean something else?
    No. In the described ASUS WL500-solution the WL500 system is an AV UPnP-Client (Win-sytsem with running AV UPnP-Server, e.g. Windows -Media Player, Musicmatch, or WinApm, etc.) and an AV UPnP-Client. In my case the AV UPnP-Client is a Terratec Noxon gadget (as a MP3-feeder via line in for my HiFi Amp) and works already with the WL-HDD environment.

I am looking for a solution in which the AV UPnP-Server run on the WL-HDD itself instead on the Win-system. So I am able to shutdown the Win-system and be able to carry the MP3 collection on the WL-HDD with me.

My goal is getting a WL-HDD system for following purpose:
    a) stationary usage as NAS device on my home WLAN for photos, Topo-Maps, MP3 and Documents
    b) portable usage as NAS and AP in combination with my iPAQ organizer e.g. for outdoor activities e.g. (motor-)cycling and sea-kayaking
    c) usage as an AV UPnP-server in combination with a) & b)

Maybe I will work in Linux for myself over Chrstmas. In former days I was a qiet good Unix software engineer ;=)
    Just now I have borrowd the Debian GNU/Linux bible from a colleague. Next step will be a dual-boot installation for Debian on my Win-box.

If I am successful, I will post the results here in the forum.

Thanks for comments.
    Walt
    Last edited by Walt; 20-12-2004 at 13:15.

Thumbs up

My solution for getting a WL-HDD system for following purpose is finished:

a) stationary usage as NAS device on my home WLAN for photos, Topo-Maps, MP3 and Documents
    b) portable usage as NAS and AP in combination with my iPAQ organizer e.g. for outdoor activities e.g.
    (motor-)cycling and sea-kayaking
    c) cusage as an AV UPnP-server in combination with a) & b)
    is solved now with:
    1. running firmware V1.2.3.0 (original Asus)
    2. exchange of the Samba charcter set and codepage for correct handlimg of „German Umlaute“
    3. running UPnP Media Server (TwonkyVision V2.5) as a daemon process

In the following example the IP-address of the WL-HDD is 192.168.1.220
    rem to 1)
    I run the V1.2.3.0 firmware because of the following features::
    - EXT3 file system (journaling support)
    - option for start a user script at system boot (initial script)
    The actual firmware release ist still buggy:
    The creation of share nodes via the user interface doesn´t work. I have to create the share nodes in „/tmp/harddisk/part1“ via the backdoor „http://192.168.1.220/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp" with „mkdir“ commands. (I have formatted the disk as EXT3 file system and create only one partition „part1“ with the build-in formatting feature of the firmware).

rem to 2)
    I have re-build the following Samba files under Debian *):
    - codepage.850 and
    - unicode_map.850
    I have modified the Samba start script „smb.conf“ and switch it with the above metioned files at system-startup via the initial script.

rem to 3)
    the TwonkyVisio Media Server V2.5 works fine. I set explicit the working dirctory to „/tem/harddisk/part1“ so I have simple access to the „twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini“ file. Furthermore I use the „media library“ from Winamp which I generate under Windows with a copy located on my WL-HDD disk. After modifcations of my mp3 assets I have to copy the Winamp media library manually from the Windows system to the WL-HDD disk. The advantage however is that I can use the convenience of the Winamp-Style select funktions on my Terratec NOXON system and I avoid the long term create-process of the Media Server database.

All modifications are made without the need of a custom build firmware version. For better handling all modificated files are located in a separate share node. (e.g. „System“)
    Procedure:
    1. copy following custom files to WL-HDD disk:
    codepage.850
    unicode_map.850

2. via „backdoor“ "http://192.168.1.220/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp"

3. execute following commands and confirm with „refresh“button:
    cp /tmp/etc/config/smb.conf /tmp/harddisk/part1

4. edit smb.conf file with Unix-compatible editor (e.g. UltraEdit in windows based systems):
    character set = ISO8859-1 (add line)
    client code page = 850 (search corresponding line and change 950 to 850)

This procedure is required to repeat after every change of the WL-HDD configuration !

5. create a new initial script (example):
    #!/bin/sh
    # Startup.scr
    # W. Schirmer 21.02.2005
    #
    # Asus WL-HDD 2.5
    # Firmware: V1.2.3.0
    ################################################## ################
    # Adjust samba configuration for German Umlaute, for serving file- and directory-names
    # including „Umlaute“in combination with Windows systems and Terratec NOXON UPnP
    # client.
    sleep 20 # reqiured for wait of termination of samba-start
    killall -9 nmbd
    killall -9 smbd
    cp /tmp/harddisk/part1/System/codepage.850 /tmp/etc/config/codepages/
    cp /tmp/harddisk/part1/System/unicode_map.850 /tmp/etc/config/codepages/
    cp /tmp/harddisk/part1/System/smb.conf /tmp/etc/config/
    nmbd -s /tmp/etc/config/smb.conf -D
    smbd -s /tmp/etc/config/smb.conf -D
    ################################################## ################
    # start of TwonkyVision Media-Server
    cd /tmp/harddisk/part1/System
    /tmp/harddisk/part1/System/mediaserver –D

6. if required edit twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini located in the example in „/temp/harddisk/part1/System“
    The ini file ist created after first run of the mediaserver.

7. Define inital script "System/Startup.scr" (e.g. located in share node „System“) in the WL-HDD "Settings- Storage Setting" admin page

*) content of attached Zip-File:
    codepage.850
    unicode_map.850
    Startup.scr (sample)
    smb.conf (sample)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Walt; 27-02-2005 at 01:48.

First of all. Thanx for providing such a detailed description on how to set up the mediaserver on the wl-hdd device. That was exactly the solution I was looking for.

I followed all your instructions. Everything works fine, but... the musicserver (free version) does not seem to work on the device. I recognized, that you used the mediaserver product in your example. Do you have any idea if there is a way to get the free musicserver up and running on the wl-hdd.

BTW, I have the same solutions as you have. WL-HDD and Noxxon Client.

Kind Regards
    Heimi

@heimi

The free version does'nt have the needed files for the WL-HDD. You will have to pay the $15 fee for the full version.

@Walt

Thanks for your detailed description.

I have almost the same configuration as you do, except I still use the former firmware (1.2.2.8). I have'nt had the time to backup my data and upgrade.

Anyway I have a problem with the mediaserver. Starting it over the backdoor as a daemon does'nt seem to work. I actually have to log in with telnet, change to the directory where the programm is resided and then start the mediaserver with the full path. Do you have an idea why this methode works, but yours does'nt?

I've also notice, as soon as I start uploading or downloading mp3 files to the HD, then the mediaserver processes stop. Do you have the same problem or a solution?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    Last edited by skink; 02-03-2005 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by skink
    @heimi

The free version does'nt have the needed files for the WL-HDD. You will have to pay the $15 fee for the full version.

@Walt

Thanks for your detailed description.

I have almost the same configuration as you do, except I still use the former firmware (1.2.2.8). I have'nt had the time to backup my data and upgrade.

Anyway I have a problem with the mediaserver. Starting it over the backdoor as a daemon does'nt seem to work. I actually have to log in with telnet, change to the directory where the programm is resided and then start the mediaserver with the full path. Do you have an idea why this methode works, but yours does'nt?

I've also notice, as soon as I start uploading or downloading mp3 files to the HD, then the mediaserver processes stop. Do you have the same problem or a solution?

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Hi folks,
    1. It is definitly correct, that the free version of the TwonkyVision-Server only runs on Intel CPU´s. The WL-HDD ist a MIPS based system. This issue is not tranparent on the TwonkyVision Web-Site. I suggested now TwonkyVision to improve their informations.

2. Your start problem: What do you mean exactly with "does'nt seem to work". Does the MedaiServer daemon run or does not? Which way did you start the daemon? I dont know exactly the behavior of the backdoor "busybox". I only noticed that a "cd"-command in the busybox is ineffective. I suppose that the reason is that the busybox starts for every command to be executed an own process with an own context. The MediaServer however needs the proper setting of the work dirctory (the location of the MedaiServer). Therefore you have to start the MediaServer in the busybox via a script followed by an "&" so that the script runs under an own task. The script has to contain a "cd"-command to the proper MediaServer directory followed by the daemon start command. All that is not prooved by myself. This is only a kindly hint to you.

3. To your uploading/dowloading process and stop of the MediaServer:
    I have definitly no idea. I haven´t already proofed the behavior of my system in this constellation.

PS: To backup your disk before upgrading the firmware is a good idea but not reqired at all. The new firmware should handle your actual file-system on the disk without data loss. Backup of the WL-HDD system with large disk sizes is a general runtime issue and ideal for nighttime time slots ;-))

Bye bye
    Walt

Hi Walt,

thanks for your hint. Starting the mediaserver daemon over a script worked. I guess starting it over the backdoor is a general problem.

3. To your uploading/dowloading process and stop of the MediaServer:
    I have definitly no idea. I haven´t already proofed the behavior of my system in this constellation.
    It would be interesting to hear how it works by you. It's getting quite annoying because we also update our ipods with new mp3's over the wlhdd.

PS: To backup your disk before upgrading the firmware is a good idea but not reqired at all. The new firmware should handle your actual file-system on the disk without data loss. Backup of the WL-HDD system with large disk sizes is a general runtime issue and ideal for nighttime time slots ;-))
    I guess I didn't give much precise details. I actually wanted to update the firmware and reduce the amount of partitions from four to two. That's why I need to backup the data.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skink
    Hi Walt,

thanks for your hint. Starting the mediaserver daemon over a script worked. I guess starting it over the backdoor is a general problem.

It would be interesting to hear how it works by you. It's getting quite annoying because we also update our ipods with new mp3's over the wlhdd.

I guess I didn't give much precise details. I actually wanted to update the firmware and reduce the amount of partitions from four to two. That's why I need to backup the data.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
    Steve
    Hi Steve,
    to your upload/download problem:
    I am running since a few days the latest TwonkyVision Media Server V2.6 on the WL-HDD. The connectivity between the WL-HDD and my Host-system (very aged Win-98 system) is handled via an 11Mbps SMC WLAN-Router. I tested an "upload" in form of copying an album-folder with mp3 files from the Host-system to the WL-HDD parallel to a streaming session to the NOXON device. I couldn´t notice any transmission interrupts or stops of the mediasrver at all in my configuration.

PS: I don´t use the mediaserver feature of building own playlists! Maybe there is the reason to look for your described probs. I am using the described process of creating the playlists on demand via WinAmp and copying these in a second step to the proper WL-HDD music-folder.

Good luck in fixing your probs
    Walt