Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no access to the router anymore - what to do?

Thumbs down no access to the router anymore - what to do?

hi all,
    before i write this i searched all the forum and tried every hint of similar probs i found. but here is my story:

1. i just got the asus yesterday - i need it to join a local network here in town. in their forum their was a short tutorial how to set up the router. i had to flash it to 1.9.2.7-b3 firmware from here. unfortunately there was no hint about reseting after flashing - so i did not do this.

2. i followed all instructions to setup but got no wireless signal catched with netstumbler an my notebook (not in HYBRID and not in AP mode).

3. i thought would be good idea to flash to the latest firmware here - 1.9.3.5 beta.

4. i did this without reseting

5. i changed something again in wlan subdirectory of the webinterface (i am not sure anymore, what it was)

6. after i pressed finish button i lost contact to the router and could not solve it so far (now there is no ping possible and no web interface is loading)

i did everything via LAN.

after i read here i did all the mentioned hints. i tried to restore the firmware, but the asus utilitie cannot get contact to the router. i am able to get the router itself into the restore mode via disconnected power - pressing the restore button - plug in the power - take off the finger from that button. the power LED then flashes like 1 second on and one second off. the LAN LED is on. the connected laptop IP is 192.168.1.2

if i turn on the router in the normal way with connected LAN cable and running laptop the LED of LAN, WLAN and Power are turned on. the Power LED blinks like once every 15 seconds (i guess this is normal behavior).

after reading here i thought i am kind of easy case cause my Power LED is blinking while in restore mode but after retrying so long i start to worry about getting this router into good mood again.

any idea is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fogg
    if i turn on the router in the normal way with connected LAN cable and running laptop the LED of LAN, WLAN and Power are turned on. the Power LED blinks like once every 15 seconds (i guess this is normal behavior).
    Power LED should light steady...not blinking...

->PWR flashing every 10-15 sec...I think your box is rebooting all the time. Try reflashing or search the forum for the "clear-nvram" image to reset your box...

thanx for answering. what you write sounds quite logically since the connection loss happened after rebooting.
    but, how to reflash if i cannot get connection to the router, even not in the restore mode?

but, how to reflash if i cannot get connection to the router, even not in the restore mode?
    Have you come across this before :-

http://www.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Installing

Pay attention to section 3.2 and 3.3, it seems it
    is possible to flash a stable firmware by interacting with the boot loader.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by majx
    Power LED should light steady...not blinking...

->PWR flashing every 10-15 sec...I think your box is rebooting all the time. Try reflashing or search the forum for the "clear-nvram" image to reset your box...
    Yes, exactly - use this firmware http://oleg.wl500g.info/wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
    Just flash it using firmware restoration utility and give it a chance to boot (i.e. wait for a minute). After that flash your normal firmware.

@oleg

i was already looking for that file cause it was mentioned in other threads - but i did not find it so far. i will try my luck in the evening. i am still a bit worried since i have not been able to flash any new firmware in restore mode. the asus utility always replies there is no connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mctiew
    Have you come across this before :-

http://www.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Installing

Pay attention to section 3.2 and 3.3, it seems it
    is possible to flash a stable firmware by interacting with the boot loader.

Cheers.

noop, i did not see this site yet. i will try to get deeper into what is written there. do you think this worx different than the asus utility?

edit1: i use win xp pro. i never heard about this TFTP server. is it natively part of winxp? in this page you mentioned is described it is a quite simple one implemented in win2k.
    Last edited by fogg; 04-03-2005 at 09:52.

if your device enter restoration mode, then it definetly could be flashed. use wired connection to it and connect to LAN port, also assign static IP to your PC.

i did using static IP 192.168.1.2 on the pc. but i got no ping reply from 192.168.1.1 (restore mode) and no positive flash result using the asus restore utility (response: no connected router found). how can i flash the nvram-file if this utility finds no router?

Try using an APIPA on your PC (ie:

don't use static ip, use automatic (DHCP), and make sure your network card gets a 169.254.xx.xx address after a timeout.

You can run restore utility afterward

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    Try using an APIPA on your PC (ie:

don't use static ip, use automatic (DHCP), and make sure your network card gets a 169.254.xx.xx address after a timeout.

You can run restore utility afterward

thanx for help

btw: what is APIPA? what time do i have to wait for timeout? do i get timeout in normal mode (in my case the reboot loop mode) or in restore mode?

i mean i will try your suggestion anyway - but in case you answer again i probably understand better what i have to do...

maybe its helpfull to write another observation: i get the router into restore mode > Power LED is blinking. then i start restore utility and try to upload a new firmware. imediantly after upload start the power LED stops blinking and stays off and keeps staying off till next power off/on.

The timout is for your PC, not your router. Try an ipconfig /renew for a command line on the PC. It should last 2 minutes, then you will have an 169.254.xx.xx adress. You can flash your router afterward. Be sure to set it on automatic ip adressing.

If it doesn't work, check if you have another router on your network, or reboot the pc

An ipconfig command on PC MUST give something like 169.254.xx.xx before you can try the restore utility.

Please check APIPA on google for more info.

maybe its helpfull to write another observation: i get the router into restore mode > Power LED is blinking. then i start restore utility and try to upload a new firmware. imediantly after upload start the power LED stops blinking and stays off and keeps staying off till next power off/on.
    Do you've several NICs in your PC? If so, that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Do you've several NICs in your PC? If so, that's the problem.
    hey oleg, i just had to smile. my first idea that came when i read NICs is: do i have several nicknames? so, i am not quite sure about that meaning. i guess it means something like several network interfaces. i do have also wireless and modem and firewire... gets this utility confused about this? but i do have only one LAN port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast