Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: New oleg firmware version

I'd like to play around with tcp_vegas a bit so I loaded the module with modprobe, but somehow the files don't appear in the /proc/sys directory:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid
    -sh: can't create /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid: nonexistent directory
    the log shows that vegas is registered tho:
    kernel: TCP vegas registered
    also the available methods show vegas:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_available_congestion_control
    cubic reno vegas
    any ideas?

doc: http://neal.nu/uw/linux-vegas/
    Never mind, I think I got it working in the other way

Code:
    modprobe tcp_vegas

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_available_congestion_control
    cubic reno vegas

#setting it to vegas
    echo vegas > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
    vegas
    Last edited by wpte; 02-06-2011 at 01:06.

2. Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I use my WL-500W as a wireless ethernet bridge to my RT-N16.
    so you plug in ethernet cables and it'll send the packages over wireless to the RT-N16.
    I noticed:
    - the connection is always alive, under the -d firmware it would stop working sometimes.
    - Better sensitivity of the network
    - Higher throughput

so yeah, you could say so
    wow.. I thought broadcom driver is not compatible with 2.6 kernel but this means it is? Does moving to this firmware from the regular 2.4 based images released over at http://code.google.com/p/wl500g have any impact on apps that are installed or is it a straight upgrade? (I currently have wl500g-1.9.2.7-d-r1825 on my wl-500w)

Quote Originally Posted by shantanugoel View Post
    wow.. I thought broadcom driver is not compatible with 2.6 kernel but this means it is? Does moving to this firmware from the regular 2.4 based images released over at http://code.google.com/p/wl500g have any impact on apps that are installed or is it a straight upgrade? (I currently have wl500g-1.9.2.7-d-r1825 on my wl-500w)
    no, nothing will have to change on your harddrive(s), nor the flashfs.
    I only had some problems with the nvram (web-admin) settings, apart from that the installation of the k2.6 firmware is as smooth as a rock

Can anyone tell me how to install WL500gpv2-1.9.2.7-rtn-r2972.trx? I have no problem with the -d release, but that one doesn't seem to flash. The power light starts blinking and then it gets stuck. Obviously into a WL500 GP v2. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelasso View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to install WL500gpv2-1.9.2.7-rtn-r2972.trx? I have no problem with the -d release, but that one doesn't seem to flash. The power light starts blinking and then it gets stuck. Obviously into a WL500 GP v2. Thanks.
    have you tried the firmware restoration tool?
    flashing might take a while with it, sometimes like 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    have you tried the firmware restoration tool?
    flashing might take a while with it, sometimes like 5 minutes
    The one from Windows? (un)fortunately I use a MacBook. I tried with a virtual machine but obviously it messed up. Now I installed Win7 in a partition and that may help in case.

What i did has been to upload the fw from the web interface. it works fine (and fast) with the -d release. With the -rtn I don't know what it happens.

I managed to unblock the router using the wl500g-clear-nvram.trx and wl500g-recover.trx via tftp, fortunately I've found some instructions in the ww-drt site.

So, my only guess is that it really should take 5 minutes to install? How do i know if the firmware has been installed? I am not sure because I messed up, but I thought that in one try I left the router on for 10 minutes or so, but I can remember wrong. Anyway, what do you suggest? The Windows tool?

Well you could use the mac osx build in tftp client to upload the firmware.
    In the end... that's all the windows tool does
    If you're running a VM of windows you could try to bridge the network adapters, that way it might work as well

Well you could use the mac osx build in tftp client to upload the firmware.
    In the end... that's all the windows tool does
    If you're running a VM of windows you could try to bridge the network adapters, that way it might work as well
    That's what I did indeed (upload via tftp). Still the rtn version seemed to not load. I check the M5 number and it is correct, so it isn't a file corrupted problem. I will try maybe tomorrow, waiting few 10 minutes this time. I know how to restore the old firmware anyway if anything goes wrong again. Thanks. I'll let you know.

Nothing. I am totally unable to install the rtn release of the wl500gp v2 fw. I tried also with the restore utility from Windows and it got stuck waiting for an IP address. I gave a static IP address (192.168.1.2) to Windows and same thing. Uploaded via tftp, binary mode (octet) it got uploaded (I enabled trace as well) and that's it. Left on for 10-20 minutes, nothing happened.

How do you guys flash the rtn version?! I need it because I read it might fix a problem with the WiFi (that in my case it can disappear for weeks, but the light is on and then sometime it reappears). This is very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelasso View Post
    How do you guys flash the rtn version?! I need it because I read it might fix a problem with the WiFi (that in my case it can disappear for weeks, but the light is on and then sometime it reappears). This is very frustrating.
    I'm sorry it doesn't work for you
    I only have a wl-500w and a rt-n16, both just flash fine trough the web-interface.
    Also the wl-500gPv2 should be compatible with the rtn branch.

You've also tried restoring to factory defaults before flashing?
    have you also tried newer builds: http://wpte.kicks-ass.net/downloads/...101/wl-models/ ?

I think I tried everything. It just seems it doesn't like that file. But the checksum is correct, so i have no clue.

I will give the night builds a look. Thanks

12. I flashed the WL500W-1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121.trx on my asus wl-500w this weekend. Everything seems to be working great but I see one issue. UPnP no longer works. None of my programs that use upnp for opening ports are able to do so. Even transmission (running on router itself) is not able to open the incoming port and shows it as closed. On checking the Status & Log -> Port forwarding page, it is completely blank, not even a single port forwarded, which is strange because I run a lot of services on my PC, PS3 and router that forward ports through UPnP and earlier this page used to be filled with atleast 15-20 ports always.. I've enabled UPnP (yes, report wan address) under IP Config->Miscellaneous. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by shantanugoel View Post
    I flashed the WL500W-1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121.trx on my asus wl-500w this weekend. Everything seems to be working great but I see one issue. UPnP no longer works. None of my programs that use upnp for opening ports are able to do so. Even transmission (running on router itself) is not able to open the incoming port and shows it as closed. On checking the Status & Log -> Port forwarding page, it is completely blank, not even a single port forwarded, which is strange because I run a lot of services on my PC, PS3 and router that forward ports through UPnP and earlier this page used to be filled with atleast 15-20 ports always.. I've enabled UPnP (yes, report wan address) under IP Config->Miscellaneous. Any ideas?
    Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults to check if it's not a configuration problem?
    Also, if this tool (I made) can find it nothing should be wrong: http://code.google.com/p/csharp-upnp-portmapper/ (it's still very simplistic)

Also you could try these settings:
    IP Config - Miscellaneous -> Efficient Multicast Forwarding: Disabled
    Wireless - Advanced -> Enable WMF? Yes

Your firmware version has a upnp patch that stopped the upnp daemon from crashing (an issue I experienced myself)
    You can use this script to reset the upnp daemon:
    #!/bin/sh
    killall upnp
    for line in `nvram show | grep "forward_port" | sed "s/ //"`
    do
    i=`expr index $line "="`
    let i=i-1
    rule=`expr substr $line 1 $i`
    nvram unset $rule
    done
    upnp -D -L `nvram get lan_ifname` -W `nvram get wan_ifname`
    (thanks to ryzhov_al for this script)
    Last edited by wpte; 12-07-2011 at 21:46.

Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults to check if it's not a configuration problem?
    Also, if this tool (I made) can find it nothing should be wrong: http://code.google.com/p/csharp-upnp-portmapper/ (it's still very simplistic)
    please check upnp with this tools (win32)
    http://www.zultrax.com/forward-port/upnp.htm

Also you could try these settings:
    IP Config - Miscellaneous -> Efficient Multicast Forwarding: Disabled
    Wireless - Advanced -> Enable WMF? Yes
    WMF is about wireless multicast only, it's not related with UPNP.

Your firmware version has a upnp patch that stopped the upnp daemon from crashing (an issue I experienced myself)
    You can use this script to reset the upnp daemon:
    FW has miniupnpd, not upnp as daemon, script is useless.
    And, that's why leases are not saved after restarts.

Quote Originally Posted by theMIROn View Post
    please check upnp with this tools (win32)
    http://www.zultrax.com/forward-port/upnp.htm
    Ok, another installer, and not even a dedicated upnp-nat program

WMF is about wireless multicast only, it's not related with UPNP.
    When I disabled it I couldn't find any media server wirelessly anymore, since that happens using SSDP (what upnp uses) it is a thing to try out.

FW has miniupnpd, not upnp as daemon, script is useless.
    And, that's why leases are not saved after restarts.
    True, forgot that.

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast