Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft MN700 hack project

tomilius, this forum is directly linked from google :P so people know where to find it!

NEWBIE so please don't chew me alive!

There is a hack for mn700 now? Can you please describe the process in short as I don't quite get it (yes I read all 61 posts before mine twice over).

Second, what does the new firmware people are putting on it do as it is not mentioned and I would like to know the benefits of such firmware.

Thanks a mil,

Rico

the mn700 seems to reboot whenever i try to transfer something via the wireless interface. after 4 or 5 megabytes transferred, it reboots. probably kernel panic. (and can't attach a serial to see what's going on because they didn't include the uart)

tried with the latest Oleg firmware and the latest (Mar28) OpenWrt experimental, same result.

also the unit sometimes reboots itself (sometimes 1-3 times per hour) whenever I use it or not. disabled the radio and it didn't reboot then.

any recommendations? other mn700 owners having the same problems?

The same thing happens with wl500g as well, there seems to be wireless module issue. So, just wait for the next GPL ball from ASUS - it should contain an updated driver (1.9.3.5 binary has it).

Script <or instructions> for coding MAC??

I will try using the altered windows debrick utility Disq posted, and shorten my cable to 6" (currently 24"), that could have been one reason why I wasn't getting pwr to the par port--(FFFFFFFF) cpu id.

Also, would it be much trouble to write a script to code a specific MAC in the bootloader? Or hex editor replace instructions??? Also, the current firmware for the wl500g has the HW led and reset support for the mn700, right? Good work on the firmware!
    Chuck
    Last edited by 3chansen; 20-04-2005 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chansen
    I will try using the altered windows debrick utility Disq posted, and shorten my cable to 6" (currently 24"), that could have been one reason why I wasn't getting pwr to the par port--(FFFFFFFF) cpu id.

Also, would it be much trouble to write a script to code a specific MAC in the bootloader? Or hex editor replace instructions??? Also, the current firmware for the wl500g has the HW led and reset support for the mn700, right? Good work on the firmware!
    Chuck
    FFFFFFFF means, that your cable is either disconnected or not correctly wired. As for bootloader - PM me your MAC address and I will prepare bootloader for you.
    Yes, mn700 led and button are supported now.

Step By Step

I've read thru all of the posts on here regarding the MN-700, but it's kinda kludgy. Can somone post a decent step by step guide to flashing the firmware with either the wrt54g or wl500g stuff. Perhaps some specifics on the JTAG cable and what needs to be modified in the software.

Thanks!

Well, I found this page through google, which I've read through several times. It seems that I will have a little project on my hands playing with an old MN-700 my roomates and I replaced with a WRT54G.

As I hate to see hardware not be utilized, I figured perhaps we could do some sort of wireless bridge to the xbox across the house, only to find the MN-700 firmware doesn't support it. Hopefully I can figure this out, as this will be my first time working with jtag, but I have worked with soldering and reflashing small chips in some of my classes.

After I build my cable and start playing I am sure I will have some questions, but right now I'd just like to thank you guys for the work you've put into this!

First, thank you all for this great work.

After having build a jtag cable I tried to backup the whole flash. It seems that this worked, so I thought my cable should be ok. But when trying to flash the new cfe, I get a few (10-15) "ERROR ON READ". And when I backup the newly flashed cfe it differs from the file on disk and after powering on the device I can't tftp the new firmware. So I think something (flashing) isn't working yet. Is this a cable problem? My cable is around 8 cm and I used the v2.2 of the debrick util.
    Anybody an idea?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by derheimi
    flash the new cfe, I get a few (10-15) "ERROR ON READ". And when I backup the newly flashed cfe it differs from the file on disk and
    that sometimes happened to me too, especially when i loaded the system (watching a movie etc) whilst flashing, and everytime i got that i had to restart (restart flashing). you might try using linux (you'll need to a) edit the source, remove the chiptype check and b) "insmod lp" before flashing)

Pin trick on mn-700?

Hi
    I was wondering, would the pin trick (http://openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Troubleshooting) work on the mn-700 with stock firmware/bootloader? If npt, guess I'll have to build a jtag cable soon ;-)

cheers
    /Stig

Success! :-)

Hi All
    Just wanted to say that now (thanks to Oleg!) my MN-700 rouns the 1.9.2.7-5 firmware. Did the flashing from my Novell Linux Desktop installation on my old laptop. Had to make an alias for parport0 in modprobe.conf before it worked. Also, doing a telinit 1 made a lot of difference, as all flash attempts from runlevel 3/5 failed...

About the cable... THE PICTURES IN THE DEBRICK PDF ARE MIRRORED!!! Just pay attention to the pin diagrams, and youll be fine :-p

Now, how do i solder on a USB port? ;-)

cheers
    /Stig

Quote Originally Posted by stig_dk
    Now, how do i solder on a USB port? ;-)
    Do you really need this? If so, post your system log (reboot first) and make a hi-res picture of the BCM4702 and surroundings on the top side of PCB and from the reverse side of PCB.

Mn-700

Well, the router is *so* much better than with the MS WinCE on it, so I'm quite happy as it is. Still, I wouldn't mind beeing able to hook my printer or a USB flashdisk up to it. It all depends on the risk involved in the process ;-) The top-side of the PCB is just like the picture in this thread, I'll see what I can do about the bottom PCB picture and the syslog when I get home.

cheers!
    /Stig

Well, if you do not have experience in playing with hw, then it's risky.
    I need a really hi-res picture to be able to read labels on the resistors. Picture from the first post is not so clear.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast