Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft MN700 hack project

Quote Originally Posted by inteller
    this was a great router, and microsoft had a really slick interface for it. It is a crying shame they refused to fix the bugs.
    Chupa will take off where M$ left it [to die]
    my sentiments exactly! They could have at least added functioning AP client mode to the list of to-do's.
    As for custom firmwares, I think the Asus was the answer right off the bat.
    Last edited by Oleg; 23-02-2005 at 10:12. Reason: Moderated, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chansen
    Oleg...thanks for the info! On your cable, is your VCC and TRST connected with a resistor? (pins 1 and 11 on JTAG, right?) I made mine without. Problem? I might have to wait for the detailed step by step
    No, this pins are stays disconnected, so your cable is right.
    Were you able to detect CPU?

no cpu detected

It didn't detect the CPU. It listed possible causes, and one was a different chip version on the WRT54g. My cable was wrong at first (flipped from left to right), then I made it right. It's connected to the proper jtag pins (though I don't have a header on the jtag) My router still works ok. No lp module running
    i'm stumped...but I am glad someone has been able to save the flash for you to look over. Sorry it's taking me so long just to get THIS far!

Well, no flash contents is needed at this time. This was needed just in case if you want to move back.
    The CPU should be detected with no problems (but you need to play with pressing Enter and turning your device on). Check you cable once again...
    The only minor modification is to change flash detection for Macronix and flash write function.
    But you need to detect your CPU first. At first there was some detection problems, but this was cable related - it should be really short (finally that guy ended up with 25 inch long cable made of CAT5 twisted pair, althought he had problems with reading - it's still noisy). Also you may want to remove resistor which is coming to LPT pin 13 - mn-700 already has 470 ohm here.
    which id your cable returns for cpu?

My cable is almost exaclty 25 inches also.
    the cpu id I was getting was the exact same as if it wasn't plugged in at all.
    I will try again, playing with the timing and trying to remove the resistor.

if you get 0xffff as an id - then your cable is not correctly wired.

my ID I get is FFFFFFFF (ie all ones, 32 of em)
    but...that is ONLY when loading 2.4 kernel and running under su (root)
    When running under su in 2.6, I get
    Failed to lock /dev/parport0: No such device or address
    Like I say, I am new to Linux and might just need to config my parallel port.

without su :
    Failed to open /dev/parport0: Permission Denied
    on both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel.

That isn't a prob though, as su seems to be working for root access.
    I have the wires connected properly on the jtag, according to the pinout (unless my jtag on my MN700 is "reversed" from left to right : )
    Last edited by 3chansen; 24-02-2005 at 00:50.

Hm, this upgrade looks complicated, *sigh*. My router just crashed again too, bittorrent killed it or something, but at least I got Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3 - Chaos Theory Single Player demo!! All these cable problems, and for a person like me who hasn't done it before, things are sort of looking hopeless, hopefully things get sorted!

More info

Maybe this would be useful. Anyways, could someone try to update the firmware with software, obviously someone who can restore it incase a major fault. Although I have no idea of how to do this, but you could replace the MSBNDownloader.exe's MN700_02.01.02.0590_EBOOT_REL16.BIN and MN700_02.01.02.0590_NK_REL16_COMP.BIN with the linux ones? Sure it isn't that easy, but probably not impossible. http://hri.sourceforge.net/hw/mn100/logbook.html
    Last edited by Intelman; 24-02-2005 at 02:42.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chansen
    my ID I get is FFFFFFFF (ie all ones, 32 of em)
    but...that is ONLY when loading 2.4 kernel and running under su (root)
    ok, try connecting pin 13 to ground. Your readings should be 00000000, if it does not - you've not correctly numbered pins...

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    ok, try connecting pin 13 to ground. Your readings should be 00000000, if it does not - you've not correctly numbered pins...
    That is what I did. My pins WERE numbered incorrectly on my db25, so I made my cable to look exaclty like the one in the photo from the debrick guide. I will double check connections at jtag. BTW, with 2.4 kernel, with nothing plugged into the parallel port, I get the same cpu ID, FFFFFFFF.
    In 2.6 kernel, the program plain doesn't work with the parallel port. I get the "Failed to lock" error.

so, any ETA on the modified bootloader? I have one MN700 and i want to try it.

Need Help Flashing

Hi! I have mn-700, JTAG cable ready and working (it detects processor), and jtag tools and wrt54g programs compiled and working on my linux box. So obviously I want to flash new firmware on my router. Can sameone answer this for me:

1. which of two (jtag or wrt54g) programs is better/more convenient to backup my original flash "just in case..."

2. someone wrote that bootloader and/or custom firmware for wl500g needs little modification, is this still true with firmware 1.9.2.7-4 (changelog states that it has basic support for mn-700) and if it needs mod. can someone give more info about what needs to be changed to the sources

3. and the most lame question (sorry). how to flash it?? I mean is the file wl500g-1.9.2.7-4.trx whole flash, kernel part or what, sorry but i just don't know. What would be the best procedure to flash this firmware to the router using either one of the programs i mentioned i have.

PLEASE HELP - THANKS IN ADVVANCE

Quote Originally Posted by disq
    so, any ETA on the modified bootloader? I have one MN700 and i want to try it.
    As you can mention it's already available.

Quote Originally Posted by pietia7
    1. which of two (jtag or wrt54g) programs is better/more convenient to backup my original flash "just in case..."
    I never heard of program called "jtag". Could you please provide a link to it? We've used wrt54g program for flashing unit (but we've modified it a bit to support MX flash chips).

2. someone wrote that bootloader and/or custom firmware for wl500g needs little modification, is this still true with firmware 1.9.2.7-4 (changelog states that it has basic support for mn-700) and if it needs mod. can someone give more info about what needs to be changed to the sources
    You need to flash firmware independent bootloader. It's already available, just PM me with MAC address of your unit - I will need to encode it.

3. and the most lame question (sorry). how to flash it?? I mean is the file wl500g-1.9.2.7-4.trx whole flash, kernel part or what, sorry but i just don't know. What would be the best procedure to flash this firmware to the router using either one of the programs i mentioned i have.

PLEASE HELP - THANKS IN ADVVANCE
    You need to flash bootloader using wrt54g program by issuing command like this
    Code:
    ./wrt54g -flash:cfe
    once done your unit will work just like wl500g unit does and you will be able to flash 1.9.2.7-4 (and future versions) wl500g firmware using Firmware Restoration Tool. You will no longer need to use JTAG then.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast