Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Microsoft MN700 hack project

Question USB on MN700

Did anyone ever answer the question about adding a USB to the MN700?

akcam2006

The MN700 just wont die

First off, I apologize for dragging this thread out again, many years after it was started. And please believe me I used this as a last resort and have been struggling with this for some time.

The trouble:
    Asus Restoration tool says: Upload Fails! Please check the connection.
    tftp says: Timeout occured.

Some background:
    My mac: 00:0D:3A:70:C4:F0
    I can get it into firmware restoration mode.
    I can ping the router, (if I clear nvram on the previous boot)
    I used nvserial and the magical files within mn700.zip, both in Knoppix and Ubuntu, with identical results.
    I can flash the cfe and back it up to get the same file.
    Using the wan port on the router I get the "No router found in restoration mode" error. Using the lan port I get the upload fails error.

My suspicion:
    I'm consistently making a bad cfe.

My question:
    Anybody got any suggestions?

More MN700 help needed. It just wont die..

I'm trying to get the Microsoft MN700 to accept some new firmware. Anybody feeling helpful today?

The trouble:
    Asus Restoration tool says: Upload Fails! Please check the connection.
    tftp says: Timeout occured.

Some background:
    My mac: 00:0D:3A:70:C4:F0
    I can get it into firmware restoration mode.
    I can ping the router, (if I clear nvram on the previous boot)
    I used nvserial and the magical files within mn700.zip, both in Knoppix and Ubuntu, with identical results.
    I can flash the cfe and back it up to get the same file.
    Using the wan port on the router I get the "No router found in restoration mode" error. Using the lan port I get the upload fails error.

My suspicion:

I'm consistently making a bad cfe.

My question:
    Anybody got any suggestions?
    Last edited by slimPickens; 16-03-2009 at 19:25. Reason: Doing some cleanup

Is anyone able to provide me with a cfe.bin for my router MAC ID 00:0D:3A:72:C2:5E

ive been trying to use nvserial but it just wont work

Questions

I've followed all of the threads to refresh the firmware on my MN700 router.

- Have a jtag cable with the correct wiring, resistors and pinouts
    - I've been able to locate a copy of nvserial (is difficult to find)
    - have edited the mn700.txt file with the MAC address of my router
    - have created a cfe.bin in Knoppix using the nvserial command
    - have successfully backed up the cfe from my router, cleared nvram, and flashed the new cfe.bin using wrjtag-modified
    - when i do a diff or comp on the new cfe I've created it is different, from everything I've read it should be the same
    - router starts and the power flashes alternating green and orange
    - i can ping the router at 192.168.1.1
    - i am not able to use any of the asus utilities as it doesn't see the router
    - i've tried tftp to put the new .trx file on the router and this doesn't work.

My suspicion is that my cfe is bad. Can anyone help with a working copy of nvserial, or send me a cfe.bin with the MAC 00:0D:3A:27:1A:60

thanks, Dan.

Questions Answered

Turns out that the nvserial was good, the way that the mn700.txt was edited was correct, the created cfe.bin was good, however when flashed there was a problem with the flash so that the flashed cfe.bin ended up being different. I re-flashed, backed up the cfe did a compare and this time they were the same.

One of the things I learned is that the ASUS firmware restoration tool does not support Windows7 even with XP compatibility mode on. When I tried the tool again on an XP SP3 machine I was able to load the firmware that I wanted.

I am now enjoying my old MN700 router with Tomato firmware!

Thank you Oleg and the others that posted to this forum.

hola, mas vale tarde que nunca, ese componente al que te refieres es un fusible, por eso no te enciende el router , las caracteristicas del fusibles son
    1,25 Amperes y 250 V o sino reemplazalo con un filamento de algun cable,

Saludos

Quote Originally Posted by royitoroy View Post
    hi friends, im roy from venezuela and i think that i break my mn700 because sombody have just lost a few times ago the 12v energy adapter, so and i had to change it the conector in the mn700 for use another universal 12v energy adapter with a lot of plugs, and i just use the one for the conector that i change it in the mn700.

ok thats fine its not a problem and it works fine, but.. im trying to change the firm to ddwrt and i am doing all of this post and thats good too, the problem its by mistakes i change the polarity of the universal 12v energy adapter and now, it doesnt do anithing, dont turn on the ligth , it do nothing, and i think its burn some transistor o anything...
    but a really think that is the little thing (capasitor, transistor, anything ) black rounded with written stuffs in white on it, that its down to the energy conector and of the hole of the bold, in the picture it just saw.

it says: <PS>E
    JET
    bel
    T1.25A 250V

PLEASE let me know if you know what could ill do? wath its that? can i foud anything like that to change it? can you help me to fix it? or at least tell me if can i buy anyting to change that or fix it? pleaaase i want my ddwrt in that sh.. its about a junior hacker proud

[EMAIL=royroyers@gmail.com
    very very sorry for my english its 4 am and im learning it and im desperate
    and for the image i dont know how to get it smaller soory
    thanks

Having trouble

I dug out my old MN-700 and tried to hack it.

I built the JTAG cable per directions, and wrt54g can communicate and gets a real processor ID (not 111111's or 00000's).

I created a cfe.bin based on my MAC address on a UNIX box.

I flashed the cfe using wrtjtag-modified to my router. Comparing the cfe.bin and the backup I made after flashing using the -backup:cfe command, the files are identical.

My problem is this: When I boot the router, it goes into firmware flashing mode (blinking green/orange power light). I connect a PC directly to the router with an ethernet cable, and set a static IP. I ping 192.168.1.1, but I get timeouts.

When I run the firmware update utility from Asus, the blinking light turns solid green, but the firmware utility says it cannot find a router to flash.

I am not able to TFTP into the router.

What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't the router work!

UPDATE:
    I did it! The problem was the NVRAM. I needed to run the wrtjtag-modified.exe -erase:nvram /noreset command a half dozen times, which nuked any residual bits, and the Asus utility worked! Now the router boots as an Asus, and DD-WRT is coming tomorrow. Hope this tip helps somebody out there.
    Last edited by Jozer99; 28-07-2009 at 04:34. Reason: I fixed it!

New tutorial

I recently hacked my MN-700, a feat I managed with considerable help from the advice on this forum, and from LiamM's tutorial. However, a lot of the information and files needed were scattered all over the net, and much of the advice presupposes some knowledge of Linux and embedded systems to follow. I wrote my own tutorial, and I thought I would post it for any router newbs like myself who feel like installing 3rd party firmware on their MN-700. I would also appreciate any feedback from more advanced members.

http://jozerworx.com/tutorials/mn700/default.htm

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718