Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repair a dead unit (which does not boot after playing with NVRAM)

Thumbs up asus 520gU

For my asus 520gU worked trick PIN 9. Here are some photos and links to the other forums http://diy.sefikuv.net/asus-wl-520gu...-warranty-loss
    I was not sure if that was working also for asus 520gU - now I know it does work

Kortas

Hi

I Asus 500GP death

I have DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std on 1 year but yesterday begin problems...

I start have many cracks with LAN and WIFI it go down frequently, after I tourn off power, but when I connect them to the power it never generate more IPs

now LAN LEDs 1/2/3/4 and WAN stay on without connections.

is possible I make somethink?

PS: sorry my ingles, I'm a Portuguese

king regards

If you didn't change anything.... my first thought is a defective power supply.

try another one if you have the possibility. (Remove any USB devices to see if it gets better..)
    Last edited by avberk; 03-08-2009 at 19:55.

Hi

thanks avberk you have reason, problem stay on power supply.

tudo I go buy one

kind regards

Dead WL-500g (simple, no Premium, Deluxe, etc)

I have a WL-500g in my hands which after a failed firmware upgrade failed to respond.

Please note that it isn't any of the newer, fancier models - just a plain 500g.

The situation now is as follows:
    The router is always in recovery mode, although it responds to pings. I.e. when one turns it on, the power led starts blinking. It doesn't come out of the cycle.

So, by now I have tried everything:
    tftp always times out. Tried to start a normal ftp session, but it cannot login (times out). Tried the pin 10+12 trick. Even tried grounding pin 9, removed the wifi card and replaced it again (as suggested by another user in this forum), but nothing changed.
    Everything is unchanged. Always stuck in recovery mode.

Asus utility can't detect it.

I can however always ping it. It responds to all ping requests.
    Windows can detect it as a switch and it can see its mac address.

Long story short: I can ping but not upload a file through tftp. Can anyone please help me? I'm out of ideas.

cheers

Hi guys.

I found an Asus WL500g Deluxe in old network and I can't get it to work. I pretty much tried everything I found here, except pin shorting. Symptoms are:

Normal power on: the router seems to boot -- all leds light up for a second, then only the power led remains on. If i plug any computer in it the corresponding port lights up, it blinks (windows shows it sends packets but receives zero). I cannot access it by web interface and I cannot ping it. I tried with an IP scanner and I cannot find the router's IP even after resetting it to factory default. Wireless seems to be off.

Restore configuration power-on: power-led starts blinking but I cannot ping the router. I connected my laptop to it (disabled all other NICs, static IP) and firmware restoration cannot find it. Wireless is still off. I've used a cross patch cable, if it matters.

Please let me know what else can I try. Also, maybe I should try with a different ping scanner, mine is pretty simple and I cannot get wireshark to work.

So.. please help... you guys are my only hope

Quote Originally Posted by mihaich View Post
    Hi guys.

I found an Asus WL500g Deluxe in old network and I can't get it to work. I pretty much tried everything I found here, except pin shorting. Symptoms are:

Normal power on: the router seems to boot -- all leds light up for a second, then only the power led remains on. If i plug any computer in it the corresponding port lights up, it blinks (windows shows it sends packets but receives zero). I cannot access it by web interface and I cannot ping it. I tried with an IP scanner and I cannot find the router's IP even after resetting it to factory default. Wireless seems to be off.

Restore configuration power-on: power-led starts blinking but I cannot ping the router. I connected my laptop to it (disabled all other NICs, static IP) and firmware restoration cannot find it. Wireless is still off. I've used a cross patch cable, if it matters.

Please let me know what else can I try. Also, maybe I should try with a different ping scanner, mine is pretty simple and I cannot get wireshark to work.

So.. please help... you guys are my only hope
    Same problems...resolved by jtag....tjtag3-0-1. First try to erase nvram...for me works.

Lightbulb TRY this !!

Have you tried this ?

open case
    id the pin 16..power should it be off,
    put this pin to case negative,
    keep it there connected,
    power on the router,
    still keep the connectors till the led blinks again as it were ok,
    remove connector from pin 16 and U-
    reset router,
    install other firmware !!!

Good Luck !

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=94643

Death Wl500gP v1

Hello guys
    I found here same problem. i have had death power supply (giving just 3V instead of 5V). So I substitute by other power supply with 5V(10Amps). But after power on lit power led and one LAN (there is my pc) after aprox 5sec goes lit LAN 1~4 and WAN, power led turn off. I tried wl500g-clear-nvram.trx and wl500g-restoration.trx after those steps I can see unit running in some safe mode. I can connect through putty I can see running services, can ping to 192.168.1.1. When I tried any other FW, I'm getting same issue like before for few seconds it seems ok but after lit on LAN1~4 and WAN. Any pin trick?
    Thanx for your response
    FG
    WL-500gP Oleg firmware v.1.9.2.7-7g
    thttpd, php5, mysql, samba 3.5, cron, rrdtool, xinet, vsftp
    USB HDD 160GB

Quote Originally Posted by freezeghost View Post
    Hello guys
    I found here same problem. i have had death power supply (giving just 3V instead of 5V). So I substitute by other power supply with 5V(10Amps). But after power on lit power led and one LAN (there is my pc) after aprox 5sec goes lit LAN 1~4 and WAN, power led turn off. I tried wl500g-clear-nvram.trx and wl500g-restoration.trx after those steps I can see unit running in some safe mode. I can connect through putty I can see running services, can ping to 192.168.1.1. When I tried any other FW, I'm getting same issue like before for few seconds it seems ok but after lit on LAN1~4 and WAN. Any pin trick?
    Thanx for your response
    FG
    So I've solved this issue.
    There I'd two wrong things.
    1st - so soft power supply after booting providing just 4,5V. In this time OK. Power supply must be minimum 5V and 1,5A without any connection to the USB
    2nd restarting in loop. Helped following:
    With Firmware restoration utility:
    1st wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
    2nd wl500g-restoration.trx
    3rd after boot press RESET button for min 10sec => factory reset (very very important point!!)
    4th install any FW (working well for me )

FG
    WL-500gP Oleg firmware v.1.9.2.7-7g
    thttpd, php5, mysql, samba 3.5, cron, rrdtool, xinet, vsftp
    USB HDD 160GB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123